Improving Credentials...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsl102

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on improving my credentials.

I had a 2.7 gpa (and a bunch of withdrawals), transferred for the last two years and got a 3.6 gpa. So my cumulative, I'm assuming by graduation, will be about a measly 3.0. However, I nailed the mcat, scoring a 36. I've done well in upper level bio and chem courses (biochem, p-chem, genetics, immunology, physiology, anatomy, endocrinology, histology, cell signaling, etc.), but my gpa from my first 5 semesters brings my gpa down.

Getting a Masters would give me a new GPA, but the 3.0 undergrad would still be there. But taking postbac courses would be factored into my undergrad gpa (presumably raising it), but what's there left to take?! Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

am i in the right forum? or is no one really sure what the best thing to do is?

tsl102 said:
am i in the right forum? or is no one really sure what the best thing to do is?

you're in the right forum... I'm really not sure what the best thing to do would be. I would say do a masters but even more importantly try to do some great EC's at the same time

Members don't see this ad :)
i think a 1 year masters program would do the trick...look in the post bacc section for more info

tsl102 said:
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on improving my credentials.

I had a 2.7 gpa (and a bunch of withdrawals), transferred for the last two years and got a 3.6 gpa. So my cumulative, I'm assuming by graduation, will be about a measly 3.0. However, I nailed the mcat, scoring a 36. I've done well in upper level bio and chem courses (biochem, p-chem, genetics, immunology, physiology, anatomy, endocrinology, histology, cell signaling, etc.), but my gpa from my first 5 semesters brings my gpa down.

Getting a Masters would give me a new GPA, but the 3.0 undergrad would still be there. But taking postbac courses would be factored into my undergrad gpa (presumably raising it), but what's there left to take?! Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance.

Either one will be potentially helpful. I'd say go for the masters as some schools look particularly fondly upon heavy research backgrounds or masters like MPH.

In addition, I'd say certain things would help in other schools that you should not be without. Clinical experience (especially if you can get a letter of rec from an M.D. or better yet the head of a dept in a hospital, some hospitals have a program like this), research experience, other interesting ECs. Also, learning some basic spanish if you don't already know it will probably really pad the resume. I've talked with adcom people in the Southwest schools including UCSF, Stanford, UCLA and they all look very favorably on spanish speakers.

tsl102 said:

With a 3.0 and a high MCAT, and already having taken a ton of upper level/pre-medical science, a special masters is probably the best route. Check out the one at G-town, its got a strong rep. How are your ECs and do you have strong LORs? These are things you will also need to get in line, as they tend to weigh heavilly if your GPA is lower than average and adcoms need to find something else they like about your app. And yes, this is probably the wrong forum -- there is a postbac forum more on point.

Same boat... I applied this year, but I'm a non-trad with almost 5 years of clinical experience. If your numbers show dramatic imrovement - which you say they have, then you have a shot. There is no formula to this thing. Consult your advisor on a proper course of action.

Also, your state of residence and the schools you apply to can also help you determine whether a post-bacc SMP, or MS is the proper route.

You are not alone...Underdog Thread