Improving EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doe22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 8 months left until I'm applying to med school and would like some suggestions on how to improve my EC's. I have graduated college in August and taking an extra gap year to work on my EC's.
-I have about 35 hours of shadowing,
-540 hrs hospital volunteering and
-60 community volunteering,
-research at my university's medical school 500+ hrs (~200 hrs went toward course credits), hopefully going back to lab soon once restrictions ease.
-was a tutor for ~7 month in an ESL program,
-one semester peer tutor in my college.
- I also worked in customer service my first year of college.
-I'm volunteering currently as a COVID screener and in a local urban farm. I got two more opportunities ( a tutor and another online opportunity at a local organization that is concerned with pregnant women health).
-No major leadership positions, but was a mentor in a 10-week sport program last summer with ~20 hrs of mentoring.
-Currently working as a medical lab assistant.

Science GPA = 3.8, cumulative= 3.87. I'm planning on taking the mcat no later than Januray.

I'm not sure which activity I should invest in the most that would help me improve my EC's at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert but I'd focus mainly on knocking your MCAT out of the park. Then I'd prioritize the nonclinical volunteering first and then shadowing.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm no expert but I'd focus mainly on knocking your MCAT out of the park. Then I'd prioritize the nonclinical volunteering first and then shadowing.
Thank you! I hope 8 months are enough to make a difference.

I have 8 months left until I'm applying to med school and would like some suggestions on how to improve my EC's. I have graduated college in August and taking an extra gap year to work on my EC's.
-I have about 35 hours of shadowing,
-540 hrs hospital volunteering and
-60 community volunteering,
-research at my university's medical school 500+ hrs (~200 hrs went toward course credits), hopefully going back to lab soon once restrictions ease.
-was a tutor for ~7 month in an ESL program,
-one semester peer tutor in my college.
- I also worked in customer service my first year of college.
-I'm volunteering currently as a COVID screener and in a local urban farm. I got two more opportunities ( a tutor and another online opportunity at a local organization that is concerned with pregnant women health).
-No major leadership positions, but was a mentor in a 10-week sport program last summer with ~20 hrs of mentoring.
-Currently working as a medical lab assistant.

Science GPA = 3.8, cumulative= 3.87. I'm planning on taking the mcat no later than Januray.

I'm not sure which activity I should invest in the most that would help me improve my EC's at this point.
Need more community service. In the age of COVID, suggest your local houses of worship, food banks, election poll worker (normally done by retirees) and Meals on Wheels.