Improving my status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueclue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just graduated with a biology degree and my gpa is around a 3.2. Its not great but I do have a pretty good DAT score (23 TS/AA), but I was wondering what else I could do to improve my chances of getting accepted? I basically have a year to do nothing. At the moment, I looking at a post bacc program, taking more science courses, or working more as a dental assistant. Which of these options would you guys recommend I take?

I havent looked for post bacc program yet as I havent really looked into it, so is it too late to apply for a post bacc or masters program?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I just graduated with a biology degree and my gpa is around a 3.2. Its not great but I do have a pretty good DAT score (23 TS/AA), but I was wondering what else I could do to improve my chances of getting accepted? I basically have a year to do nothing. At the moment, I looking at a post bacc program, taking more science courses, or working more as a dental assistant. Which of these options would you guys recommend I take?

I havent looked for post bacc program yet as I havent really looked into it, so is it too late to apply for a post bacc or masters program?
its probably too late to apply for masters program for fall 08. If you are applying to dental schools for fall 09 i don't think doing post-bach now would help...coz they won't get to see ur new grades until the end of decemeber or may be mid-January. Your DAT score looks good...i don't think you should have any probs getting in if you apply to 10+ schools.

its probably too late to apply for masters program for fall 08. If you are applying to dental schools for fall 09 i don't think doing post-bach now would help...coz they won't get to see ur new grades until the end of decemeber or may be mid-January. Your DAT score looks good...i don't think you should have any probs getting in if you apply to 10+ schools.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that if I do a post bacc the grades will not apply for this cycle, but I just want to do something just in case I am not accepted. I dont want to hinge all of my hopes on my DAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a dat score like that you shouldn't have trouble getting in somewhere... just apply to the right schools and a lot. Taking more science courses could improve your gpa but the schools won't find out about that until too late. I would work as a dental assistant.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that if I do a post bacc the grades will not apply for this cycle, but I just want to do something just in case I am not accepted. I dont want to hinge all of my hopes on my DAT scores.
oohh in that case i guess all you can do is do post-bach if you are not too late for that b/c i dont have any info on that. You might find some masters programs whose deadlines are in June-July so may be you can rush in & apply now and give it a shot. But before that you gotta take GRE or some schools also accept DAT score. I don't know which state you are in so i cant be very specific. Besides that you can also apply to your state university as "non-degree seekant grad applicant" so that way you can take both undergrad (upper level science courses to improve your GPA) & grad courses.

oh yea and def continue working as dental assistant