Improving Writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I'm not a native English speaker (have been using English for eight years though), and it is frustrating that it is not what I do that matter, but how I write about what I do on my app. My writing style is blunt and to the point -- I don't feel like I can add any amazing spin to my work to make it sound extra awesome. I'm not applying in a couple years, and I believe I really need to work on my writing before I do apply. Any advice on improving self-advocacy/fancy writing?

Members don't see this ad.

Read every day, write every day, and have others critique what you write. Clubs are great for this and you can put it on your AMCAS!- Creative writing enthusiast.

Reactions: 1 users
Same here (I've been using English for 7 years). Reading a ton has helped me get over that hurdle! The more you read the more you understand writing styles and the importance of storytelling.

Reactions: 1 user
Journal every day if you can. As @Jdoxis said, even better if you can get involved with a creative writing community somehow. If you have any essays for any classes, take them to your university's writing center to get feedback on your grammar (this is boring but it will help you on your way to your bigger goal of writing better).

Reactions: 1 user