In a BRAND NEW medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NISfrontier

NISfrontier
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to join this site because upon reading it in hopes of answering some of my questions about med school, I found that there are no short supply of people on this site that are vastly more informed than me about this system (especially the international one), and I wish to have some of my personal questions answered if it is at all possible. So I'm gonna start in a fairly general fashion and beat it down till I get some more specific concerns once I learn some more.
I've just recently started medical school in an international school that has just opened its doors. I've heard from many that this might be an unwise decision, but I made it and I don't care to hear that I've made a huge unreprable mistake. I don't think I have and if it wasn't the wisest decision I still believe I can make the most of it granted my school does its job. I just want to know what I need to do to make this work and to pass my USMLE and return to the states where I wish to use my education to be a doctor to serve people in need. So I guess first I'd like to know what I need to expect from my school in regards to the fact that it is an international medical school serving to train mostly American students to return and practice in the states. What will be expected of my school and I once it comes time to apply for my license if I should pass the steps of the USMLE? And to add to the difficulty, what will it take for me to eventually practice in the state I'm from, Texas? I know these are general questions, I'll except any sincere answer I can get, and I'll go from there to learn more. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well where to start?

I don't think you made a huge mistake. Most US programs don't know much about international medical schools. They do know the common names, but
I remember when Saba first came out and no one had heard of them. There are lots of saba medical school physician practicing in the US now.

what you have to make sure of is that the school will be around until you finish. If you don't think it will, you can change to another island school. Lots of people have done that as well.

What to do to give you the best chance to pass and do as well as possible on the USMLE?

1. Study you ass off.
2. Take Kaplin USMLE courses. They really do help. You may want to consider doing this while in medical school and do the question bank during your breaks. This will show you what the USMLE is looking for and when you study during medical school you can pay special attention to these issues.

Texas????

Here is the mystery question. As of now I only know of Ross that is accepted in texas. This may have changed. But I think it will change in the future.

If texas is you only choice you may want to consider going to ross.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this new school recognized by the WHO and the state(s) you're interested in returning to?

as of now, no it is not. I understand this is in the process of occuring through the respective government.

mmm, I hope this goes through...is there a timeline in which this will be done? If it will be accredited / recognized by the WHO by the time you graduate, that should be fine. But if it's not, you may run into some problems. Is there a way you can find out its actual status?

Although you haven't reached clinical years yet, thus far are you satisfied with the teaching there?

mmm, I hope this goes through...is there a timeline in which this will be done? If it will be accredited / recognized by the WHO by the time you graduate, that should be fine. But if it's not, you may run into some problems. Is there a way you can find out its actual status?

Although you haven't reached clinical years yet, thus far are you satisfied with the teaching there?

Does anyone know when they are planning on updating the WHO directory?

http://www.who.int/hrh/documents/wdms_upgrade/en/index.html

It's been almost a year (dec '05). :confused:

WOW, BIG, BIG PROBLEM.

If your school is not even recognized by world health organization you will NEVER able to practice medicine anywhere in the United States.

Take this to heart,

Change school to one that is. There are soooo many school out there. There are school in europe, philipines, mexico, islands, Sooo many.

EVEN IF YOU LOSE A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS, I STILL SUGGEST YOU CHANGE.

EVEN IF THE TEACHERS THERE ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD, I STILL SAY CHANGE.

In the end you can't practice medicine in the US if you school is not recognized by the US and WHO.

It is your life/career so good luck. But, It would really suck if you are 150K in debt and can't pay it back because you can't find a residency or practice medicine here. Forget about texas.

so what school are you in anyway. why the mystery.

as of now, no it is not. I understand this is in the process of occuring through the respective government.

Ouch. I hope for your sake that they (the administration) are being honest and this gets done quickly, otherwise as eriachaj notes, you will never be able to practice in the US, in any state, as you will be ineligible for ECFMG certification. If I were you, I would check directly with WHO, country government and ECFMG to see if the process is in fact in process.

I understand your desire to make the most of the situation you're in -- but bureaucratic red tape could make it impossible to practice in the US or elsewhere regardless of how well you do!

Things to keep an eye on: Is the school friendly toward students, open and transparent about things like accreditation, status with various governing agencies, finances, long-term plans? (Verify the information whenever possible with disinterested sources. :) ) I would take as a massive red flag any unwillingness to answer questions, vagueness, or defensiveness on the part of administrators. They essentially hold your future in their hands; they need to be accountable to the student body. It's possible of course that everything will go swimmingly, they'll get accredited, and you'll come back to to the US to practice without hassle. But there are students who've been in your shoes before who've not been so lucky. Tread carefully and be willing to cut-and-run if things don't "seem" right. It's your money and your future!

And yes, pay attention to rumor -- often you'll find grumblings about a school's status/future online (here or on valueMD) or in conversations well before its actual demise.

If I were in your shoes, honestly, I would transfer to an accredited school ... but I'm not a gambler by nature and I don't have $100 to waste let alone $100k (or whatever). It's not that you've made a bad decision necessarily, just one that isn't without risk. I'd be very mindful of that risk and do what I can to minimize it.

WOW, BIG, BIG PROBLEM.

If your school is not even recognized by world health organization you will NEVER able to practice medicine anywhere in the United States.

Take this to heart,

Change school to one that is. There are soooo many school out there. There are school in europe, philipines, mexico, islands, Sooo many.

EVEN IF YOU LOSE A FEW THOUSAND DOLLARS, I STILL SUGGEST YOU CHANGE.

EVEN IF THE TEACHERS THERE ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD, I STILL SAY CHANGE.

In the end you can't practice medicine in the US if you school is not recognized by the US and WHO.

It is your life/career so good luck. But, It would really suck if you are 150K in debt and can't pay it back because you can't find a residency or practice medicine here. Forget about texas.

so what school are you in anyway. why the mystery.

I'm sorry for the mystery. I just don't wish to jeopardize the name of my school in any way even if it is brand new. We are also and extremely small school and I probably wouldn't be hard to pick out. I believe the administration is sincere in their efforts and are trying diligently to see that we are recognized by the time I do my clinicals, even though they are not always forthcoming with the progress of the governments decisions. As for the teaching, I have been satisfied. The administration so far have brought us well qualified professors who have seemed to grasp the knowledge of the subject they tought very well. They are american professors and all have very impressive qualifications and experiences. They have also been extremely student friendly, and i have found my coursework rigorous yet infinitely interesting. As for transferring to another school, for me it is not an option. It was this school or no med school unfortunately for me. I am here under special circumstances and this school has offered me an otherwise unattainable goal. I must see this school succeed or I simply do not. This is why I am seeking council, because i truly need this school and wish to see it do well.
As for something separate from this. Are there any disadvantages to having professors that are not from the US and have not taught in US med schools, and if so, are there any ways to get around this problem. Thanks by the way for all the suggestions and opinion. Its been great.

The WHO doesn't 'recognize' medical schools. The individual country goverments submit a list of the medical schools accredited to train physicians in their country to the WHO and the WHO enters them into their list.

US state medical boards use the WHO list under the (often faulty) assumption that no country would allow their citizens to be treated by unqualified physicians.

If your school is not in the WHO directory, it will be very difficult if not impossible to obtain ECFMG certification or recognition of your training by any US medical board.

At this point you have to consider yourself a venture capitalist for the proprietors of your medical school. You put a considerable amount of money into a project that has a potential to pay off for you but is in its very early stages. I hope you are paying your tuition out of existing savings and you are not borrowing money to pay for this. If you have the kind of money lying around that you could afford to loose it, go ahead. If you are borrowing it, you are setting yourself up for severe disappointment and potential financial ruin.

Are there any disadvantages to having professors that are not from the US and have not taught in US med schools, and if so, are there any ways to get around this problem. Thanks by the way for all the suggestions and opinion. Its been great.

Well, pretty much everyone who goes to a school outside of the Caribbean is taught by non-US professors and aside from potential language and societal concerns, there shouldn't be a problem.

Is it preferable, especially in the clinical years, to have US faculty? Probably because they know what you are expected to know. But in the end, the faculty is only a tool in your education, the most important factor is you and how hard you study.

I don't know of any way to rectify the situation unless you have loads of cash to lure more American physicians down to your school to teach.

judging by the info i think this is a school i've heard about that just opened in a border town in the rio grande valley. taught by american docs. i'd say most important thing is WHO certification. doesn't matter where your profs are from.

judging by the info i think this is a school i've heard about that just opened in a border town in the rio grande valley. taught by american docs. i'd say most important thing is WHO certification. doesn't matter where your profs are from.

again.. I refer to my message above.

Does anyone know when they are going to actually update their list?