drcabbie

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello all
I received my MCAT score and it was a low 22. I applied to Osteopathic schools and my application is still processing. I do have a high GPA from a lower tier Ivy league, (3.7 science and a 3.8 overall) and I wanted to know my chances of getting in. Seeing that my aamcomas app is still processing it wont be finished until mid October. I am signed up for the November MCAT but I think its too soon to try to improve on my score. I think I want to wait and take the January MCAT but the results wont come out till February and I think that would be too late for even DO schools. I'm not sure whether to give up on Osteopathic schools and try for Carribean. I would love some advice. Thanks!

DoctorKrieger

Exit Van Left
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2013
You have at least a full month to study more for the November MCAT, do you not think that will be enough time to raise your score since you've already studied for it recently? No Ivy grad with that gpa should be seen in a Carib school. Reapply if necessary, but don't go Caribbean.

NVO

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Cornell? Consensus is do not go Caribbean.

DoctorSynthesis

Friendly osteopath
Jun 8, 2013
all over
Status
Medical Student
Hello all
I received my MCAT score and it was a low 22. I applied to Osteopathic schools and my application is still processing. I do have a high GPA from a lower tier Ivy league, (3.7 science and a 3.8 overall) and I wanted to know my chances of getting in. Seeing that my aamcomas app is still processing it wont be finished until mid October. I am signed up for the November MCAT but I think its too soon to try to improve on my score. I think I want to wait and take the January MCAT but the results wont come out till February and I think that would be too late for even DO schools. I'm not sure whether to give up on Osteopathic schools and try for Carribean. I would love some advice. Thanks!

Don't go to the carribean. A retake is your best bet. Even 2-3 points will make a big difference. If you need to wait till January, then try next cycle and take a gap year and improve ecs.

If you apply strategically and broadly you could have a chance with that high of a GPA from an ivy. Seriously if you have a 3.7 you should be able to break a 30 atleast and I would say a high 20 should be very doable.

How did you study for the MCAT

UBC2014

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Hello all
Study better and retake the MCAT and apply again next year. If you take it in November, you might still have a shot at DO schools you apply to. BUT make sure they dont see your application yet with teh 22 mcat, and personally call them to let them know to hold for the next test score.

Apply next year. Don't go carrib with that GPA.

UBC2014

2+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2014
Status
Medical Student
One thing though, with that strong of a GPA, what do you think led to the 22? Didn't study properly? Not enough? Test-day anxiety? Address what went wrong and dont let it happen again on the retake.

May 12, 2010
Seattle, WA
Status
Medical Student
I would study really hard and aim to take it in November if you think you can improve. If the time comes and you can't then move back to January. Once your application is processed and released let all the schools know that you are retaking it and they can take that into consideration.
Since you are already late in the cycle and your application hasn't been processed yet, there is a big probability that you may have to apply next cycle. I would suggest taking the extra time to reapply if this is necessary.

And I highly suggest not going to the Carribean. I know a doctor who graduated from there 2 years ago and he still hasn't been able to get into a residency and can't really practice without it.

iWillOneDay

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 16, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
retake in january and apply to current cycle if you want to. If not, great shot next cycle.

Last edited:

SynapticDoctah

5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
If you went to an Ivy League school and have that GPA, there is no reason for a 22. Retake the MCAT. DO NOT GO CARIBBEAN.

If you need tips on MCAT study, feel free to PM me. I didn't score a 35 or anything, but I think I could point you in the right direction.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
if you think you'll be ready in November, do it. but you have to fix what happened last time, otherwise you won't increase enough (getting a 23 or 24 at this point may suggest that you're truly around that score, whereas getting a 27+ would show them that the first was just a fluke). All of these numbers are just speculative, but hopefully you get my point.

NO CARIBBEAN
Maybe November MCAT
Maybe January MCAT if not ready for November
This cycle maybe if you are consistently scoring high on practice tests before November MCAT and you feel very good about your test day
Next cycle if January MCAT, in my opinion.

radian313

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
if you think you'll be ready in November, do it. but you have to fix what happened last time, otherwise you won't increase enough (getting a 23 or 24 at this point may suggest that you're truly around that score, whereas getting a 27+ would show them that the first was just a fluke). All of these numbers are just speculative, but hopefully you get my point.

NO CARIBBEAN
Maybe November MCAT
Maybe January MCAT if not ready for November
This cycle maybe if you are consistently scoring high on practice tests before November MCAT and you feel very good about your test day
Next cycle if January MCAT, in my opinion.
I will be taking Jan MCAT, Ive been told by the few AdCom on here, that, even a Jan MCAT will give you ii and possible acceptance because the DO cycle runs deep.

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I will be taking Jan MCAT, Ive been told by the few AdCom on here, that, even a Jan MCAT will give you ii and possible acceptance because the DO cycle runs deep.
Yes it certainly can. I also have to imagine it slightly depends on the rest of your app. I forgot OP has a 3.8 cGPA 3.7 sGPA, assuming your ECs are up to par, I think a Jan MCAT for this cycle is still viable.

radian313

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hello all
Please dont go Caribbean, I withdrew from SGU SOM. Please talk to me about it if that is where you want to go.

radian313

7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Yes it certainly can. I also have to imagine it slightly depends on the rest of your app. I forgot you have a 3.8 cGPA 3.7 sGPA, assuming your ECs are up to par, I think a Jan MCAT for this cycle is still viable.
My apologies if it came off as if I am trying to start a "unhealthy exchange". But I agree with you, the entire app does play the part, and also keeping in touch with schools. I dont care where I go, infact my "dream" school is WVSOM...some may disagree...

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
My apologies if it came off as if I am trying to start a "unhealthy exchange". But I agree with you, the entire app does play the part, and also keeping in touch with schools. I dont care where I go, infact my "dream" school is WVSOM...some may disagree...
No, I didn't take it that way at all. Thank you for wanting to clear that up, though.

Your dream school should matter very little on other people's opinions. If you want to go somewhere, you should try your hardest to go there (unless it's caribbean :p)

Reactions: radian313

OsteopathicHopeful

2+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Hello all
You should join the "Extension to the underdogs thread 25 or less on MCAT" Its for people in your very situation. I got a 22 on my MCAT as well

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Retake the MCAT only when you are fully ready, even if it means applying in the next app cycle.

You can do better than Carib diploma mills.

Hello all

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello all

I think you should get a tutor and study for the MCAT again. With your GPA and a degree from a top tier school, you should be very competitive.

OP
D

drcabbie

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
So i decided to stick with the November MCAT because the January ones are all booked. I have exactly one month to study. I used kaplan books the first time around and used a class. Does anyone have any tips for studying this time around? Thank

kelminak

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student
So i decided to stick with the November MCAT because the January ones are all booked. I have exactly one month to study. I used kaplan books the first time around and used a class. Does anyone have any tips for studying this time around? Thank
That's hardly enough time to see any real improvement, but if you're really giving it all you've got, you could try a modified version of this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/how-i-raised-my-mcat-score-by-10-points-in-2-months-—-the-spinach-method.988678/

Reactions: OsteopathicHopeful
Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Practice exams. Do a lot of them.

Reactions: abolt18

dkt888

5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Agree with the above. Lots of practice exams and passages instead of content review. Focus mostly on what you're weak on.

jaguar33

5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2013
The South
Status
Medical Student
If you can get your hands on the Kaplan subject passages (or something similar) do those between taking full lengths. Do the timed sections and identify where you are weak and review those subjects. Do as many practice questions as you can. I watched "Wiki Premed" videos on the subjects I didn't have a firm grasp on. Wiki premed was free when I was studying for the MCAT 1.5 yrs ago so hopefully it still is. It really helps you reinforce concepts rather than just memorizing facts. I ended up getting > 30 on my first attempt using this strategy. FWIW I think the Kaplan course/books were pretty worthless and I would only reference the books for equations and when you are confused about a topic. It's not something you just want to read again since you learned all of the info in undergrad already. If it is possible to buy only the study materials (question bank, Full lengths, subject tests) do that because they were invaluable.

On a side note, I am always surprised too see students at prestigious schools with near perfect GPA's bombing the MCAT. It seems like you may just be really good at memorizing facts and regurgitating them for the test. Before you start medical school (I'm sure you will get in eventually if it is what you want) you really need to start practicing how to learn and integrate different concepts while having some important facts memorized. That is how the MCAT tests and is exactly how all my medical school tests have been thus far. As soon as you learn how to study that way your MCAT will go up and you will have an easier time in medical school.

OP
D

drcabbie

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the advice Jaguar33. Well I signed up for the December MCAT so now I have two full months. I'm gonna try to follow http://www.get-into-medicalschool.com/mcat-study-schedule/ using berkely review and examkrackers. I also have all the online resources for kaplan so hopefully that helps. My real struggle was in Biological Sciences as I got a mere 7 on the actual test. I thought the Biological science test was incredibly harder than the AAMC's so I don't really know how to tackle that part. Anyone have any more tips or study schedule advice? Also for osteopathic schools, will this newly added december MCAT still allow me to continue applyign this cycle? SHould i Hold off on my score of 22 until i get my score back in january or send the 22 out. Please let me know thanks

OP
D

drcabbie

2+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
More importantly, Do I send the 22 MCAT to all of my osteopathic schools? Can I select which schools I should send to? Or do I just wait for my results of the December mcat to come out in January? Thanks