In all seriousness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RKK

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It may seem ridiculous that I think I have a chance, but what do you guys think? In my first semester of physics I got a D- and I never re-did the course. I am applying for admission for 2001. Do you think there's any hope for me? I MIGHT be able to re-take the course at another university in the winter semester (Jan), but would that really make a difference since the schools won't see my grade until after they have made some kind of decision?
My overall and science GPAs are both 3.3. I am re-taking the MCAT (previous score, 26). I have over 100 hours of volunteer work at the local hospital, I've worked in two doctor's offices and have done some shadowing, and I am currently working in a lab with my immunology professor. Any advice, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that most medical schools REQUIRE all the pre-requisites to be completed with a grade of C or better. I think you have to retake the course. If at all possible, I would STRONGLY ADVISE you to retake the course this summer so that when they review your application, they won't automatically reject you for the D-. I wouldn't apply without having retaken it...

Good luck!

There is always hope! But you should realize that even if you do retake the course, the D- will stay on your record and will be included in your GPA. You should also know that you will have to take that physics course again (and as soon as possible).Should you get invited to an interview, it is very likley that the grade will come up for discussion. You should have a legitimate explanation in mind.

Since you are considering going to an allopathic school (you've posted on the pre-allopathic page), it is good that you're considering taking the MCAT again (something close to a 30 would be more preferable to an allopathic admission committee). If you have the opportunity I think it would be really helpful to you if you raised your GPAs (overall and science) as well.

You have a considerable amount of volunteering and shadowing experience which is very good. But don't stop doing that yet. Keep volunteering as much as you can, without sacrificing the academics.

Even if you do have your heart set on becoming a M.D. (which I'm assuming you do), I think you should keep in mind the osteopathic path as well. If push comes to shove (which it hopefully won't), and you don't get a score that satisfies the allopathic admissions committees, keep in mind that M.D.s are not the only physicians in the world, D.O.s are physicians too. In fact, I'll go far enough to say right now, that if you applied to an osteopathic medical school, you'd have an excellent chance of getting an interview and getting accepted. If you applied to an osteopathic school, I don't even think you'd have to take the MCAT again. However, you should be aware, that your grade in Physics just "won't fly" since most osteopathic med schools do not consider a grade below a "C" in any sciences and english to be valid grade. You'd still have to take physics again. You might also have to find a D.O. to get a recommedation letter since osteopathic admissions committees often require a letter from an osteopathic physician. In order to find out more about osteopathic medicine, visit http://www.aacom.org

good luck

Amit

[This message has been edited by AMS-007 (edited 06-16-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies. The best I can do is take the class over this fall since I'm too late for the summer semester. And yes, I am applying to D.O. schools as well but I wasn't aware that I needed at least a C in all my pre-req's. Do you think it will still help if I take that class in the fall?

You will undoubtedly need that course to enter medical school. If it is possible to have a higher grade (C or better) presented to them before the end of the coming application cycle then you should take the course over this fall. If your school sends them the transcript without the higher grade they (the medical schools or even AACOMAS itself) will definitely send you a letter stating that you are not eligible to apply until you get a higher grade. Or worse yet the medical schools might send you a rejection letter altogether. It's my feeling that you don't want the committee feeling negative about you from the beginning. Once you get them into that mind state, nothing positive ever comes out of them. So, take the course again without having them telling you to take it again and this time you should really put some elbow grease into it. Make sure your school sends out a transcript with the higher grade posted. It unlikely that they will remove the lower grade. They will simply list the course again with the higher grade. You should do the same when you fill out the application. When they compute your average they will most likely count only the higher grade. However, I'm not sure about this. Make sure you check into this.

Where are you applying?

Amit

Amit,

Ok, so what you're saying is that I should take the class in fall and send them my new grade at the end of the semester in December/January? I thought they didn't want grades from your current year? Also, I'm not taking the class over at my own university because I can assure you I will end up with the same grade if not worse(yes, WORSE). So, is it ok to send out a transcript with just that grade from the other university?

I applyed sent preliminary app's to about 20 schools last year but I didn't send in my secondaries because by then I had received my MCAT scores which I didn't think were good enough, so now I'm doing my fourth year. Also, I'm from Canada so I can't apply to some of the schools I wanted to (eg. schools in Ohio)because of citizenship reasons. And since I'm Canadian I'm sure I need higher grades and MCAT scores than American applicants. That's another reason that I've decided to apply to D.O. schools but I can't apply to many of them because I don't know of any D.O.'s that I can get a letter from. So you see, I have more than that stupid physics class holding me back
frown.gif

Oh, and in case you're wondering, the reason I did so terribly in physics was 1)my prof sucked, 2)the tests were multiple choice, meaning no part marks, 3)I had 5 science classes, 4 with 3hr labs....Any of these excuses good enough for an admissions committe should I be so lucky as to get an interview (osteo OR allo)??

Thank you SO MUCH for your input, I really appreciate it.

RKK,

Physics is required course for entry. It does not matter when you're taking it. You must have an acceptable grade regardless of the circumstances. Since you're taking the course at a school other than your home school, you need to send in the transcript from this other school too as soon as it becomes available. When the transcript from your home school goes to them it will still have the D- on it. Therefore, to prevent them from automatically rejecting your application, you need to make sure they (AACOMAS) knows that you are retaking the course and that a new grade is on the way. This can simply by done by listing the Physics course again under the name of the other school and writing RNY in the type column (If you have the AACOMAS instruction booklet handy, look on page 7 and read it carefully). Once you finish the course, make sure the transript with the new grade is sent out immediately! There is no time to delay. You should realize that they will not process any part of your application until the new grade is received and therefore your application will remain in limbo until the new grade is received.

With regard to the lack of D.O. letter, fear not! There are some schools that do not require a letter, but simply recommend that you have one. So, if you have one it good, but if you don't then don't sweat it.

I know how you feel with regards to your physics professors. The professot I had for physics 2 sucked. As a matter of fact, my class filed a complaint against him and he was reprimanded. I was lucky to have gotten away with a B- in the class. The class average was a C+ and he failed 50 out of the 150 people in my class. What a shmuck!!
rolleyes.gif

When you get invitations to interviews, its very likely that the topic of the D- will come up and you should tell them all the reasons you listed above. Admissions Committees understand that there many professors out there who should be locked up in a lab permanently and should never have any human contact.

HAHAHA, yeah I'll bet there's a ton of horrible profs out there but I'm sure most of them ended up at my school. Well, I am DEFINITELY taking your advice and I'll be signing up for that course on Monday. Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be asking for it again soon!

my question, if you didn't retake the physics, then your school won't even let you graduate at the first place. physics is a required class in most majors.

YJ,

Actually, as long as I pass it I'll graduate, and even though a D- sucks, it's still a pass (just barely!!). And I'm sure that my school would have to do something about it anyway since approx. 70% of the class ended up in the D range.