In at UNECOM but just found out I am wait listed at a M.D. program...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siednarb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that I was wait listed at the only M.D. program that I interviewed at (Wayne State in Detroit) but I've been in UNECOM since October. I really like UNECOM and the D.O. philosphophy but the in state tution at Wayne, is too enticing. I don't know how long I should wait to hear if I get in off the wait list. I need to sign a lease soon and move my stuff to Maine if that is where I am going to be. If anyone has any help or advice for this situation - I'm all ears!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me see how this work. " i am accepted to an excellent medical school but i am wait listed in another? What should I do? Dude you only got wait listed what's there to think about? you are not in, to it seems to me there is no desicion to make until you are accepted.
keep posting

------------------
siul

I would call the school and find out where you are on the waiting list and the chances of you getting in. The closer you get to school starting the less turnover there will be on the waiting list. So if you like number 50 on the list or something just forget about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should give up your seat at UNECOM in favor of those who REALLY want DO school. I'm tired of reading messages suggesting DO as an inferior choice. If you're really committed to the DO philosophy, the lower tuition at Wayne shouldn't deter you. If you're not really committed, then get out of the way.

first of all, i am very committed to the DO philosophy. But I think that is unfair of you to say that the tution should not be a factor, it is for me. I am not sure what your financial situation is, but for me, the ability to go to a school that costs significantly less money will make a world of a difference. I do not view DO as an inferior profession nor as an alternative to being an M.D.

As an incoming first year at UNECOM, I would like to say you have some time, sure, classes start Aug. 2nd. But, you don't have to move there until then. So for now, chill. There are plenty of places to rent in the area, even apartments in Biddeford that are pretty cheap, granted they look that way. So, I would give it another month or so, and then make a committment and not worthy about the MI school. If you are going to give up your spot you should do it while you can give someone else some time to prepare to move to Maine as well as filling out financial aide forms, etc..

I don't remember the orginal poster saying anything about a DO school being inferior. I'm tired of posters like you Qi Whiz that immediately jump on someone's back just becase he/she hints that they might choose an MD school over DO. Why dont you relax? Fact of the matter is, state-funded MD school is A LOT cheaper than a private DO school. If I got accepted to my state school, you can be pretty damn sure I would go. "Hmmm, should I go to a school thats 26k or one that is 6k?". Medicine is medicine, and unless you are a complete idiot, I would assume you would make the same decision.

mig

Well...If money is such a big issue for you and it is for most people than I would choose the in-state school whether it's M.D. or D.O. UNECOM is a good school, but so could be your other choice and A LOT cheaper. At the end you'll get to be what you always wanted to be (I hope)...a doctor and it won't matter if it says M.D. or D.O. after your name. Not sure if I helped, but make a choice and stay confident with it.
Good luck...

If you are asking for help, it really sounds as if you know where you want to go you just want reassurance. Find out where you are on the wait list, 1st or 50th, and that will be a big deciding factor. MAke up a list of pros and cons of both schools, silly but it works. Mostly, ask yourself if it truly matters if you have a DO or an MD after your name, to some people it really matters others it doesn't.You really know the answer in your heart, everything else can be worked out. Good luck.

Remember that in choosing a school you also choose the location though. I live in Michigan also but I don't want to go to Wayne State because it is in Detroit. I am not being biased with out basis either. I currently attend Detroit Mercy and I am tired of living in Detroit. So, yes it may be cheaper, but remember that you are likely going to stay here for at least 4 years and I know that I am tired of staying in Detroit. I am originally from a small town so the this is really different. It all depends on what type of atmosphere you want, I am not sure where you did your undergrad at, but Detroit is definitely different from anywhere I've ever been...or wanted to!
Good Luck!
Tiff