In Big Financial Trouble - Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldiot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The problem with that is that my home interest is SOOO slow, it would be literally impossible to watch lecture videos. I would probably have to use a mobile hotspot off of my phone in order to access school materials. I would also have a 65 minute drive. I'm really not sure what to do

Do you have a library or Starbucks near your home? They tend to have moderately reliable internet.

I'm a third year pharmacy student.

My expenses are:
-Rent: $765/month (November paid)
-Credit Card Minimum Payments: $750/month (November paid)

Current Cash on Hand: $1,000
Current CC Debt: $16,600

Approximate Student Loan Disbursements:
-1/1/18 - $10,000
-6/1/18 - $10,000
-1/1/19 - $10,000

Lease on apartment ends sometime in July 2018.

So I had an issue with my financial aid, combined with some other problems/stupidity last year, and ended up with a huge amount of CC debt. So here's my plan. I will pay my rent in December, and the CC payments will just have to go 2 weeks late until I get my financial aid money. At that point, I will have ~$9,000 left to last me for 6 months. With a rent of 765 and CC minimum payments of $750, I will need the entire $9,000 just to get me to the next financial aid payment. Since I will have no money left to eat, I will have to make minimum payments on the cards, and then use the available balance after the payments for living expenses.

At that point, I will get another $10,000 and I have only have 2 months of rent left to pay on my lease. After my lease is up I will just move in with my parents and drive potentially up to 2 hours to my rotations :(

So as of August 2018, I should no longer have to pay rent, and my CC debt will still be the same. I will have ~$7,000. Then in January I will get another ~10,000 so I should be able to pay off my CC debt (or close to it) with student loan money.

My parents don't even know about my issues and there's no way I am telling them. I'm also really worried because I will be kicked off my health insurance in May and I'll have to buy a plan.

These financial issues are really causing a lot of stress and I'm finding it really hard to focus on studying...

I'm only working one shift a month essentially, so I'm also looking at finding a position where I can work every Saturday and Sunday.

The only other thing that I could do is just break my lease and go home now. The problem with that is that my home interest is SOOO slow, it would be literally impossible to watch lecture videos. I would probably have to use a mobile hotspot off of my phone in order to access school materials. I would also have a 65 minute drive. I'm really not sure what to do

Can you increase your loan amounts?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
You can’t just work more? Three shifts a week should help if you are getting intern pay working at a pharmacy. With the holidays, you probably have weeks off from school so you could even work full time those weeks.

Reactions: 1 user