in case of bad weather...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDgonnabe

your royal travesty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but i have an interview at what will probably become my #1 or #2 ranked program in late january. snow is a good possibility. what happens if my interview somehow gets mucked up b/c of weather? are programs understanding? will they reschedule things under such circumstances? or will they plow through their rank list without me and lose a candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

I've got the same concern: Miami Jan 7th and NYC Jan 8th. Inclement weather and I'm done for.

I wouldn't interview at my #1 program so late for that exact reason (but then I'm done with interviews on December 16).

Locita, I hear them Miami blizzards get pretty bad. Good luck!

yes they are understanding. If you can't get there, than most others can't either. Happened twice last year and one program even told me to just let them know when I could come by any time before the list turn in date and that would be my interview.

undecided05 said:
yes they are understanding. If you can't get there, than most others can't either. Happened twice last year and one program even told me to just let them know when I could come by any time before the list turn in date and that would be my interview.

awesome to hear. i wanted to schedule the interview in late dec, but the only openings they had were later that week and that wouldn't have worked (i have to fly from the east coast to the west coast).

also, it's not just miami's weather the above poster could be worried about. if you live in the north and your flight gets canceled due to a blizzard etc, you're just as screwed as if the weather problem were at the institution itself.

MDgonnabe said:
awesome to hear. i wanted to schedule the interview in late dec, but the only openings they had were later that week and that wouldn't have worked (i have to fly from the east coast to the west coast).

also, it's not just miami's weather the above poster could be worried about. if you live in the north and your flight gets canceled due to a blizzard etc, you're just as screwed as if the weather problem were at the institution itself.

I think the poster was worried about flights being cancelled like MDgonna said - for instance, its only mid Dec and hubby's flight was cancelled Monday to the NE from Florida for this exact reason - so its a reasonable concern.

Mumpu said:
Locita, I hear them Miami blizzards get pretty bad. Good luck!
;)

it's not just miami's weather the above poster could be worried about. if you live in the north and your flight gets canceled due to a blizzard etc, you're just as screwed as if the weather problem were at the institution itself.
Exactly, it's flying into JFK that has me concerned. I'm not exactly the most :luck: person around.
:oops:

Then again, if they know you are traveling from out of state, the roads are closed, the Governor has declared a state of emergency, and there are bonfires throughout the city for warmth - and you show up for your interview, there is no better first impression...

NinerNiner999 said:
Then again, if they know you are traveling from out of state, the roads are closed, the Governor has declared a state of emergency, and there are bonfires throughout the city for warmth - and you show up for your interview, there is no better first impression...

:idea: what's the starting price for a sleigh with a team of trained siberian huskies? strike that. better make it flying reindeer...

MDgonnabe said:
:idea: what's the starting price for a sleigh with a team of trained siberian huskies? strike that. better make it flying reindeer...
The same as the price for a West Coast gen surg residency spot: your soul.
:scared:

MDgonnabe said:
sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but i have an interview at what will probably become my #1 or #2 ranked program in late january. snow is a good possibility. what happens if my interview somehow gets mucked up b/c of weather? are programs understanding? will they reschedule things under such circumstances? or will they plow through their rank list without me and lose a candidate?

Just buy a skidoo and make your way overland. ;)

Selznick said:
Just buy a skidoo and make your way overland. ;)

and risk slightly wrinkling my suit??? :mad: NEVER!!!

And so it begins...

Anybody else have flight cancellations due to today's snowstorms? I'm spending the night in the Cleveland airport. Luckily it doesn't affect my interviews, I'm just a day late getting home.

Hurricane said:
And so it begins...

Anybody else have flight cancellations due to today's snowstorms? I'm spending the night in the Cleveland airport. Luckily it doesn't affect my interviews, I'm just a day late getting home.

I'm gunna say it Hurricane --- I'm doing it .... DELTA!!!!!!!!!! That word has become the epitomy of disaster :oops: Hope you get home soon - and btw, did you have FREE wireless? Because I had to *pay* which is just, such a delta thing to do :rolleyes:

Poety said:
I'm gunna say it Hurricane --- I'm doing it .... DELTA!!!!!!!!!! That word has become the epitomy of disaster :oops: Hope you get home soon - and btw, did you have FREE wireless? Because I had to *pay* which is just, such a delta thing to do :rolleyes:

No, I had pay 8 bucks for it, which isn't too bad. Cheaper than a meal here. But if they're going to charge 8 bucks for it, they should change the name to something besides "FreedomLink." Because it ain't free. FWIW, it's the airport that sells the wireless access, not the individual airlines...

Speaking of airports, whoever designed the cleveland airport was on crack.

I drove from Boston to Manchester this afternoon in the dadgum driving snow. It was like the Indy 500 except all the cars were going 20 miles an hour. Everyone just kind of crowded into the center of the road...

ok--i just missed an interview in oregon because of the weather in chicago and then the southwest crash at midway. believe me i tried to make it for the interview. i got as far as denver but missed my connecting flight, and eventually flew back to chicago. the school was very understanding and rescheduled my interview. i, on the other hand, was depressed at all the time and money that slipped away...

Hurricane said:
No, I had pay 8 bucks for it, which isn't too bad. Cheaper than a meal here. But if they're going to charge 8 bucks for it, they should change the name to something besides "FreedomLink." Because it ain't free. FWIW, it's the airport that sells the wireless access, not the individual airlines...

Speaking of airports, whoever designed the cleveland airport was on crack.

:laugh:

tiger4evr said:
ok--i just missed an interview in oregon because of the weather in chicago and then the southwest crash at midway. believe me i tried to make it for the interview. i got as far as denver but missed my connecting flight, and eventually flew back to chicago. the school was very understanding and rescheduled my interview. i, on the other hand, was depressed at all the time and money that slipped away...

sorry tiger! I'm just glad you weren't on that plane at midway, and sorry for 2 posts in a row, I forgot to condense them!

i got stuck in atlanta when this happened! good thing i was on my way back from florida and not on my way TO anything. then on my way to iowa i got nailed by heavy snow. i was slowed down to like 30mph with 40+ miles to go to the hotel. that was terrible. it required a hot shower to release the tension in my neck/shoulders. :(