in case of bad weather...

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by MDgonnabe, Dec 5, 2005.

1. MDgonnabe

MDgonnabe your royal travesty
    7+ Year Member

sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but i have an interview at what will probably become my #1 or #2 ranked program in late january. snow is a good possibility. what happens if my interview somehow gets mucked up b/c of weather? are programs understanding? will they reschedule things under such circumstances? or will they plow through their rank list without me and lose a candidate?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've got the same concern: Miami Jan 7th and NYC Jan 8th. Inclement weather and I'm done for.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

I wouldn't interview at my #1 program so late for that exact reason (but then I'm done with interviews on December 16).

Locita, I hear them Miami blizzards get pretty bad. Good luck!

4. undecided05

undecided05 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

yes they are understanding. If you can't get there, than most others can't either. Happened twice last year and one program even told me to just let them know when I could come by any time before the list turn in date and that would be my interview.

5. MDgonnabe

7+ Year Member

awesome to hear. i wanted to schedule the interview in late dec, but the only openings they had were later that week and that wouldn't have worked (i have to fly from the east coast to the west coast).

also, it's not just miami's weather the above poster could be worried about. if you live in the north and your flight gets canceled due to a blizzard etc, you're just as screwed as if the weather problem were at the institution itself.

6. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the poster was worried about flights being cancelled like MDgonna said - for instance, its only mid Dec and hubby's flight was cancelled Monday to the NE from Florida for this exact reason - so its a reasonable concern.

7. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

;)

Exactly, it's flying into JFK that has me concerned. I'm not exactly the most :luck: person around.
    :oops:

8. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Then again, if they know you are traveling from out of state, the roads are closed, the Governor has declared a state of emergency, and there are bonfires throughout the city for warmth - and you show up for your interview, there is no better first impression...

9. MDgonnabe

7+ Year Member

:idea: what's the starting price for a sleigh with a team of trained siberian huskies? strike that. better make it flying reindeer...

10. locitamd

locitamd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The same as the price for a West Coast gen surg residency spot: your soul.
    :scared:

11. Selznick

Selznick registered user
    5+ Year Member

Just buy a skidoo and make your way overland. ;)

12. MDgonnabe

7+ Year Member

and risk slightly wrinkling my suit??? :mad: NEVER!!!

13. Selznick

Selznick registered user
    5+ Year Member

:laugh:

14. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    And so it begins...

Anybody else have flight cancellations due to today's snowstorms? I'm spending the night in the Cleveland airport. Luckily it doesn't affect my interviews, I'm just a day late getting home.

15. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm gunna say it Hurricane --- I'm doing it .... DELTA!!!!!!!!!! That word has become the epitomy of disaster :oops: Hope you get home soon - and btw, did you have FREE wireless? Because I had to *pay* which is just, such a delta thing to do :rolleyes:

16. Hurricane

Hurricane Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No, I had pay 8 bucks for it, which isn't too bad. Cheaper than a meal here. But if they're going to charge 8 bucks for it, they should change the name to something besides "FreedomLink." Because it ain't free. FWIW, it's the airport that sells the wireless access, not the individual airlines...

Speaking of airports, whoever designed the cleveland airport was on crack.

17. Espion

Espion is a girl
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I drove from Boston to Manchester this afternoon in the dadgum driving snow. It was like the Indy 500 except all the cars were going 20 miles an hour. Everyone just kind of crowded into the center of the road...

18. tiger4evr

tiger4evr Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ok--i just missed an interview in oregon because of the weather in chicago and then the southwest crash at midway. believe me i tried to make it for the interview. i got as far as denver but missed my connecting flight, and eventually flew back to chicago. the school was very understanding and rescheduled my interview. i, on the other hand, was depressed at all the time and money that slipped away...

19. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh:

20. Poety

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    sorry tiger! I'm just glad you weren't on that plane at midway, and sorry for 2 posts in a row, I forgot to condense them!

21. imtiaz

imtiaz i cant translate stupid
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i got stuck in atlanta when this happened! good thing i was on my way back from florida and not on my way TO anything. then on my way to iowa i got nailed by heavy snow. i was slowed down to like 30mph with 40+ miles to go to the hotel. that was terrible. it required a hot shower to release the tension in my neck/shoulders. :(