In-Flight Medical Emergencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently heard the 'is there a doctor on board' request while travelling, thankfully to which a physician did respond. As I am just a paramedic and medical student, I wonder what legal rights I would have to even help someone out while flying over the US, should an MD not be present to assist. I am licensed as a paramedic in Canada to muddle the waters even further, so things could definitely get a little bit sticky. Anyone out there with any experience in this? This is just something that got me wondering the other day...

Members don't see this ad.

Near as I can tell, being a med student doesnt qualify you to do anything.

I dont know about Canada, but in the US...

You can not do the off-duty paramedic thing. As a paramedic you must be on the clock, and have MD oversight in place (online and/or offline medical direction).

You can, however, do the EMT-B thing off duty.

If I was in your position, I'd think about telling a flight attendant that if they cant find a physician, I'll do what I can. I wouldnt want to be in that situation, and I'd be pretty useless... but I might be able to ease the tension if nothing else.

Near as I can tell, being a med student doesnt qualify you to do anything.

I dont know about Canada, but in the US...

You can not do the off-duty paramedic thing. As a paramedic you must be on the clock, and have MD oversight in place (online and/or offline medical direction).

You can, however, do the EMT-B thing off duty.

If I was in your position, I'd think about telling a flight attendant that if they cant find a physician, I'll do what I can. I wouldnt want to be in that situation, and I'd be pretty useless... but I might be able to ease the tension if nothing else.
In British Columbia, my license is valid 24/7/365 both on-duty and off-duty. That wouldn't carry outside of my jurisdiction though. I can just imagine a negligence suit if I didn't treat a patient up to my level of training when much of that equipment is available on airliners. On the flipside, I can imagine an assault charge if I provided care without a license to practice medicine in whatever region I happened to be in at the time.

Has anything like this happened to anyone before? I think the best solution is probably to just not help out at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how it works, but depending on what was going on I wouldn't just sit in my seat. I mean, if someone codes and there isn't an MD but the ACLS drugs are sitting right there, I would probably push them. Maybe that's putting myself on the line, but I just don't see how someone could fault you for that....

They carry a lot of equipment on the planes I think right? If someone REALLY needs it and we can't land, then I feel like its a special circumstance in terms of "on-duty" etc. I would step in.

I don't know how it works, but depending on what was going on I wouldn't just sit in my seat. I mean, if someone codes and there isn't an MD but the ACLS drugs are sitting right there, I would probably push them. Maybe that's putting myself on the line, but I just don't see how someone could fault you for that....

They carry a lot of equipment on the planes I think right? If someone REALLY needs it and we can't land, then I feel like its a special circumstance in terms of "on-duty" etc. I would step in.
They usually carry your standard ACLS drugs - epi, lidocaine, atropine, etc. Of course, it's all voodoo magic anyhow because none of those things alter survival, so maybe you're just as safe legally and for the patient using only an AED + basic life support skills.

This is an interesting topic. I'd love to hear more opinions.

A new thread?? No way! ;)

I suppose that we never really have to make this decision because the lack of ALS equipment prevents ALS intervention as much as any legal constraint would. That said, in some special scenario where there was equipment available, no higher level of care, and the patient was in dire (life or death) need, I would probably just go ahead anyways. Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't?

Note: I'm only talking about things that I normally would do on an ambulance. ...Meaning things I have been trained to do and practice on a regular basis. I'm very much against paramedics (or any provider for that matter) operating outside of their scope of practice, even if the situation is dire.

I think in in the US according to the DOT EMTB have protection under good samaritin laws and further more are held to the concept of "duty to act"

I may be wrong though.

On the flipside, I can imagine an assault charge if I provided care without a license to practice medicine in whatever region I happened to be in at the time.

No, that's not assault. At most it would be practicing medicine without a license.

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if anyone has ever been successfully sued for helping someone on an airline within the level of their training.

The important thing is, it's an exceptional situation and you would probably be in touch with their medical control, so as long as you're not doing stuff you're not trained to you would probably be fine.

EDIT: apparently some do carry ALS stuff. See the old thread on this from the EM forum:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=497551

I think in in the US according to the DOT EMTB have protection under good samaritin laws and further more are held to the concept of "duty to act"

I may be wrong though.

Yes, you're wrong. One only has a duty to act if there is a provider-patient relationship. If you're an EMS provider that means that you'd have to be on duty in an official capacity.

Good Samaritan laws are generally at the state level, but there is a federal one that covers airplanes.

A new thread?? No way! ;)
Heh...I figured it was about time! :)

I suppose that we never really have to make this decision because the lack of ALS equipment prevents ALS intervention
That's the thing...most airliners carry ACLS drugs, angiocaths, IV fluid, etc.

as much as any legal constraint would. That said, in some special scenario where there was equipment available, no higher level of care, and the patient was in dire (life or death) need, I would probably just go ahead anyways. Can anyone honestly say they wouldn't?
My other argument is that ACLS drugs don't make a difference for patient outcomes, so maybe it's not such a bad thing to practice to only BLS level. Of course, that might be different for someone with a pre-arrest problem that could be remedied with pharmaceuticals.

If an airplane crashes on the border between Canada and America, where do they bury the survivors?

One thing to note is that all airlines have the ability to talk to a doc for advice/medical control. It may be hard to do in a real emergency, but you could always ID yourself as a medic, ask to talk to the online doc, and ask for medical control permission to give drug X. They might say no, but if they said yes I think you'd be pretty well covered since you are working under the direction of the physician who has been contracted to provide medical care for that airline.

Not all aircraft carry ACLS gear on board, esp domestic flights. Many of the international flights carry more stuff on board. Equipment ranges from just O2 and a CPR mask to a AED and ACLS drugs...

Last edited:
The incidence of in-flight medical events on commercial airlines is unclear, given that there are no regulatory reporting requirements. One recent analysis by MedAire, an Arizona-based company that provides emergency medical advice to airlines that carry nearly half of the 768 million passengers on U.S. flights each year, found that the rate of medical emergencies aboard commercial flights nearly doubled from 2000 to 2006, from 19 to 35 medical emergencies per 1 million passengers.[4] The majority of physicians in attendance at a recent AAFP Annual Scientific Assembly course reported having been confronted with an in-flight emergency at some point in their careers.
In the United States, physicians are under no legal obligation to provide assistance in these situations, but a federal law passed 10 years ago includes Good Samaritan immunity for those who do. The Aviation Medical Assistance Act of 1998 ensures that if you're flying in the United States, even if the airline is not owned by a U.S. company, you have Good Samaritan protection. Canada and the United Kingdom have similar laws. The laws on intercontinental flights are more complicated; the simplest explanation is that the laws of the country in which the airline is based are in effect. For example, on a flight from Los Angeles to Sydney, Australia, on Qantas Airlines, Australian law (which says you have a duty to act) would be in effect.
Like state statutes, the Aviation Medical Assistance Act provides Good Samaritans with protection from lawsuits alleging negligence " ... unless the individual, while rendering such assistance, is guilty of gross negligence or willful misconduct." The act protects airline companies from liability as well "if the carrier in good faith believes that the passenger is a medically qualified individual." Airline employees meet the "in good faith" requirement by asking whether the person who volunteers to help is a health care provider.
When responding to most in-flight medical emergencies, physicians have a variety of tools at their disposal. Most airplanes are equipped with automated external defibrillators (AEDs); the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requires that any plane weighing 7,500 pounds or more and carrying at least one flight attendant must have an AED on board. In addition, most U.S. airlines have 24/7 access to emergency physicians who can be consulted if needed. The FAA also requires that an emergency medical kit be available and that it be stocked with certain items, including medications, IV supplies and syringes. On many airlines, basic first-aid supplies are stored separately. In an emergency, it is a good idea to ask for both the emergency medical kit and the first-aid supplies to ensure that you'll have everything you need.
It is not unusual for physicians who respond to serious in-flight medical emergencies to be asked to advise the pilot on whether the plane should be diverted so that the passenger can be treated at a hospital sooner rather than later. Do not assume the burden of deciding whether the plane gets rerouted; that is a decision best left to the pilot. Instead, offer your medical opinion about the patient's condition and a prognosis expressed in terms of time, for example, "The patient has extremely high blood pressure, and there are indications she is having a stroke. The sooner she can be treated at a hospital, the better her prognosis will be."

What You Need to Know When Called Upon to Be a Good Samaritan

Robert J. Dachs, MD, FAAFP; Jay M. Elias, JDFam Pract Manag. 2008;15(4):37. ©2008 American Academy of Family Physicians

One thing to note is that all airlines have the ability to talk to a doc for advice/medical control. It may be hard to do in a real emergency, but you could always ID yourself as a medic, ask to talk to the online doc, and ask for medical control permission to give drug X. They might say no, but if they said yes I think you'd be pretty well covered since you are working under the direction of the physician who has been contracted to provide medical care for that airline.

I have been advised that paramedics have helped with medical emergencies on airplanes with ACLS medications provided. They have spoken with emergency physicians on the ground that the airline is required to have. However its my understanding that airplanes only have AEDs without a monitor. Most ACLS protocols would be worthless since you can not see the rhythm. As far as cardiac emergencies go, a paramedic could only really run a code on an airplane.

I suppose in other medical emergencies I can assess the patient and speak to the online doctor the airline has but there is no immediate treatment on board. I could evalute the seriousness of emergency and advise the pilot.

while flying over the US, should an MD not be present to assist. I am licensed as a paramedic in Canada

Here in the states we already have as much of your healthcare system as we want ... but thanks. :)

You probably would help this guy out then refuse to send him a bill (which he would expect and serve as a source of future confusion) ... and what line would he wait in before he could see you? There is no congregating in the aisle or near the lavatory on flights ... its prohibited. So as you can see, you getting involved is complete impractical.

Last edited:
Here in the states we already have as much of your healthcare system as we want ... but thanks. :)

You probably would help this guy out then refuse to send him a bill (which he would expect and serve as a source of future confusion) ... and what line would he wait in before he could see you? There is no congregating in the aisle or near the lavatory on flights ... its prohibited. So as you can see, you getting involved is complete impractical.
I think you forgot to take your medications again, viostorm.

49 USC 44701
"Sec. 5. Limitations on Liability.

"(a) Liability of air carriers.--An air carrier shall not be liable for damages in any action brought in a Federal or State court arising out of the performance of the air carrier in obtaining or attempting to obtain the assistance of a passenger in an in-flight medical emergency, or out of the acts or omissions of the passenger rendering the assistance, if the passenger is not an employee or agent of the carrier and the carrier in good faith believes that the passenger is a medically qualified individual.

"(b) Liability of individuals.--An individual shall not be liable for damages in any action brought in a Federal or State court arising out of the acts or omissions of the individual in providing or attempting to provide assistance in the case of an in-flight medical emergency unless the individual, while rendering such assistance, is guilty of gross negligence or willful misconduct.