In Need of Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sodasteve

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if you guys could give me advice on my current situation.

I am 25 years old and graduated with a 2.99 GPA from college. My father is a veterinarian so I have spent all of my time gaining experience in animal hospitals and working with him with the idea of getting into veterinary school. I gave up at the time on being a vet due to the poor GPA so I went into funeral directing school (dont ask) where I currently have a 3.9 GPA after taking 14 classes. These courses dont help me out that much since they are funeral classes but there has been some classes such as Anatomys 1-3, Micro and Pathology that were included all of which I have gotten A's in. While they may not have been the most difficult classes, they showed me that I can succeed as long as I am motivated and put in the work. I knew that I wanted to try and pursue medicine but after taking some time to think about my future, I realized that becoming a veterinarian was not for me and that I would much rather be a human doctor instead. My issue now is that I am basically starting from scratch at the age of 25 and have a steep mountain to climb if I ever want a shot at becoming a doctor. The bright side for me is that I am finally happy that I know what I want to do with my life and I am motivated and willing to put in the hard work but I do not exactly know where to start. I did the math and if I took 18 classes at my college or community college and got an A in all of them, I would be left with a 3.33 GPA. This would be a lot of work to pull off but I am not opposed to going for it if it is my best shot to have a reasonable GPA for a D.O school. I also dont know if a post bacc or masters is what I should be aiming for. I looked up local programs and from a quick glance I did not meet the GPA requirements to be accepted into them. In addition to the GPA problem, I have zero human related healthcare work experience as I focused on working at animal hospitals. My idea is to be a volunteer EMT + get a job at my local hospital but I am not sure if this is enough experience to be considered. I havent taken the MCATS yet but I know that getting a high MCAT score is extremely important in my situation. I am assuming I have no chance to get into an MD school given my situation but I would still be extremely happy to have the opportunity to go to a DO school. Any advice on what to do moving forward is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You still have a shot at even MD schools since it's been so long since you've graduated. Keep up the trend with good grades and retake any of the pre-reqs if you didn't do well in them before. Reinvention always looks good on the app. As far as extra curricular activities go, make sure you get involved with at least these 3 things: clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, and shadowing for at least a year each. Then of course study hard for the MCAT and you will be a solid applicant.

Reactions: 1 users