Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

In need of advice...

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by lase42, Dec 19, 2008.

1. lase42

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    "

#1 lase42, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. Proctodoc

Proctodoc Via backside attack
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Where there's a will, there's a way. You should find one clinical experience and one volunteer experience and stick with those for as long as you can. It shows more commitment than jumping around here and there, spending only weeks in several different experiences, plus you get to know doctors/employers/directors better and you can collect stronger LOR's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I think that adcomms will find your experiences refreshing to read about since they are different than the usual hospital volunteering. Consistency and longevity are definitely valued when your clinical experiences are evaluated. Also, I think it's great that you "thought outside the box" when faced with the difficulty of getting a hospital volunteerism gig in your town. While volunteering at hospice, you'll meet physicians. After you get to know some docs, hit on them for shadowing experiences, so you'll also get a view of hospital and office medicine.

As long as you're spending 3-4 hours/week volunteering (not counting vacation weeks), you'll be fine, since you have years to accumulate hours. Don't go crazy and spend so much time that you endanger your GPA.

4. Textuality

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    As long as you can convince them that you know what the life and job of a physician is like you'll probably be fine. I don't think shadowing is so much about the cool procedures as it is learning more about bedside manner, the skills and strength it takes day to day, and gaining insight into what makes a good doctor. If you can learn all this without actually shadowing and convince the interviewers of it, then it's all good.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What school do you go to? I also go to school in Florida and have had so many opportunities to shadow and volunteer. I'm really curious as to what part of Florida is so ridiculous like that.