In Need of Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red rover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm new to this site and just registered today so bear with me if my concerns and questions are simple and face palm* worthy.

I am a 4th year at a university and need some honest advice and thoughts on my situation and the likelihood of getting into pharmacy school... brace yourself as this is definitely a depressing read, especially for me.

This is my situation: My cumulative GPA is 2.721. I know this is absolutely horrible and it makes me cringe when I see it. I also do not have any pharmacy related experience or lab/research experience or anything really worth putting down on a resume.

How I got to this situation can be explained pretty easily I guess; I was unmotivated, lazy, afraid, and most of all I didn't believe in myself. I think it was a self-fulfilling prophecy ultimately, I didn't do well in school because I didn't think I was capable of even doing well in school. Don't ask me where the low self-esteem came from, it was just there like a nasty little tick :D

Anyway, over the last year or so I've grown significantly mentally and emotionally and as a person in general. I'm a lot happier and I can actually DO work for once in my life. My last two GPA's were 3.5 and 3.4, and still my overall GPA remains the ever so pathetic 2.721.

I have been considering so many different options that I'm really just left utterly confused. I have applied to numerous pharmacy clerk/tech jobs to no avail. I realize now that my PCAT score is probably my most valuable asset in helping me get into pharmacy school and I plan on taking 2 months out of my summer to just sit on my bum and study for the thing. I have also started volunteering at the hospital and will have a 100 hours by December.

I have roughly 9 more classes to take, and if I play my cards exceedingly well, can raise my GPA above a 3.0

Now my question is: How are my chances, in all honesty, if I apply this September to pharm schools? I will only have a GPA of around 2.85 if I am lucky and will update my transcript after fall quarter. I plan on having a 2.85 GPA and a great PCAT score, some volunteer hours, a writing position at the undergrad bio journal, and that's pretty much it.

My question is: should i wait a year and just apply in 2011 when I have all my classes and pre-reqs complete, more time to gain pharmacy job experience and more time also to study for the PCAT, and more time to get better LOR's, or just apply this September? I don't think I care too much about getting into a great pharm school, mostly because I don't think I will have the stuff even after a year. haha.

I will also be rushing my last 5 courses of college trying to finish in time to update my transcript before applications are closed, whereas if I were to apply much later on atleast I could space out my remaining classes and possibly do better.

What do you guys think? What is my best move here? because it is 4:20 AM and I have no clue... Thanks in advance :):luck::rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all.

I'm new to this site and just registered today so bear with me if my concerns and questions are simple and face palm* worthy.

I am a 4th year at a university and need some honest advice and thoughts on my situation and the likelihood of getting into pharmacy school... brace yourself as this is definitely a depressing read, especially for me.

This is my situation: My cumulative GPA is 2.721. I know this is absolutely horrible and it makes me cringe when I see it. I also do not have any pharmacy related experience or lab/research experience or anything really worth putting down on a resume.

How I got to this situation can be explained pretty easily I guess; I was unmotivated, lazy, afraid, and most of all I didn't believe in myself. I think it was a self-fulfilling prophecy ultimately, I didn't do well in school because I didn't think I was capable of even doing well in school. Don't ask me where the low self-esteem came from, it was just there like a nasty little tick :D

Anyway, over the last year or so I've grown significantly mentally and emotionally and as a person in general. I'm a lot happier and I can actually DO work for once in my life. My last two GPA's were 3.5 and 3.4, and still my overall GPA remains the ever so pathetic 2.721.

I have been considering so many different options that I'm really just left utterly confused. I have applied to numerous pharmacy clerk/tech jobs to no avail. I realize now that my PCAT score is probably my most valuable asset in helping me get into pharmacy school and I plan on taking 2 months out of my summer to just sit on my bum and study for the thing. I have also started volunteering at the hospital and will have a 100 hours by December.

I have roughly 9 more classes to take, and if I play my cards exceedingly well, can raise my GPA above a 3.0

Now my question is: How are my chances, in all honesty, if I apply this September to pharm schools? I will only have a GPA of around 2.85 if I am lucky and will update my transcript after fall quarter. I plan on having a 2.85 GPA and a great PCAT score, some volunteer hours, a writing position at the undergrad bio journal, and that's pretty much it.

My question is: should i wait a year and just apply in 2011 when I have all my classes and pre-reqs complete, more time to gain pharmacy job experience and more time also to study for the PCAT, and more time to get better LOR's, or just apply this September? I don't think I care too much about getting into a great pharm school, mostly because I don't think I will have the stuff even after a year. haha.

I will also be rushing my last 5 courses of college trying to finish in time to update my transcript before applications are closed, whereas if I were to apply much later on atleast I could space out my remaining classes and possibly do better.

What do you guys think? What is my best move here? because it is 4:20 AM and I have no clue... Thanks in advance :):luck::rolleyes:
i think it depends on you whether or not you apply for 2011, because there are schools who have a minimum GPA of 2.5. If you can afford all those payments then apply and you never know what could happen! If you do not get in, well you have the next year to make your resume look better.

Well, what's your PCAT? I agree that it will help, but you've already admitted what will be the key factor to getting in; there's something magical about getting that GPA up to a 3.0. To many schools, it's the minimum they'll accept, and it just looks oh so much better than a 2.95. I'm speaking strictly from experience here. It's going to be much easier for you if you bust your ass to get a 3.0. Think of it as pennance for the years of slacking off. You might be able to get in with a 2.85, just less options than with a 3.0.

I'll tell you this though, since I know you need all the motivation you can get: I was just accepted to a pharm school this year. Almost the same deal as you, slightly different reason for low grades, but it really doesn't matter in the end. A low GPA is a low GPA to most adcoms. I had a good PCAT (86 comp.), and believe it or not, a lower GPA than you. I have no pharmacy-working experience (I've shadowed a bit, but really minimal). What I do have is life-experience, and I let it show in my personal statement and my interview. I also applied to a relatively new school in a remote location.

I know there are haters out there who will tell you that low GPA = don't deserve to get in. And that may be true. But I've improved more than my GPA shows, and I'm glad a couple schools saw that in me. I'm not planning to let my undergrad GPA affect how good of a pharmacist I'll be, since I have determination and a drive to succeed. If you've changed as much as you say, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give it a shot and see what happens. Apply to many schools. Explain your situation in your personal statement. If you get an interview, explain the situation there if asked.

If you don't want to spend the PharmCAS fees, get your GPA up and apply later. Rising trends look good.

Well, what's your PCAT? I agree that it will help, but you've already admitted what will be the key factor to getting in; there's something magical about getting that GPA up to a 3.0. To many schools, it's the minimum they'll accept, and it just looks oh so much better than a 2.95. I'm speaking strictly from experience here. It's going to be much easier for you if you bust your ass to get a 3.0. Think of it as pennance for the years of slacking off. You might be able to get in with a 2.85, just less options than with a 3.0.

I'll tell you this though, since I know you need all the motivation you can get: I was just accepted to a pharm school this year. Almost the same deal as you, slightly different reason for low grades, but it really doesn't matter in the end. A low GPA is a low GPA to most adcoms. I had a good PCAT (86 comp.), and believe it or not, a lower GPA than you. I have no pharmacy-working experience (I've shadowed a bit, but really minimal). What I do have is life-experience, and I let it show in my personal statement and my interview. I also applied to a relatively new school in a remote location.

I know there are haters out there who will tell you that low GPA = don't deserve to get in. And that may be true. But I've improved more than my GPA shows, and I'm glad a couple schools saw that in me. I'm not planning to let my undergrad GPA affect how good of a pharmacist I'll be, since I have determination and a drive to succeed. If you've changed as much as you say, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

Can you list the schools you applied to help the op

If you don't mind spending the money on app fees, then apply and see what happens. IMO, I think you should concentrate on fulfilling the requirements (9 classes is alot! Do at least most of them by the time you apply), and gain some experience. Although your hospital hours will look great, you should also get more involved in the community with more ECs to show that you are motivated. One extra year will go by very quickly. You shouldn't worry about it.

Hmm... here's my advice: Apply early!!!! Honestly, if you do well on your PCAT and have significantly improved over the last 2 years and have high pre-req grades then more than likely you will get in somewhere. Oh, and write an amazing personal statement..I think that helps.

I graduated with a 2.93 GPA and post grad I have a 3.89 (which only brought my gpa up to 3.0). I kind of felt the same way you do about your situation and nonetheless I was surprised to receive 4 interview invites.

People change and I think some programs actually recognize that.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I think I will definitely atleast try applying this year... Whhhaaaaaaaaa!!!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I think I will definitely atleast try applying this year... Whhhaaaaaaaaa!!!

Realistically, I think you should wait until 2011. In the meantime, finish all of your pre-req's., definitely get some pharmacy experience (to compensate for your GPA), and take extra classes to try and boost up your GPA. It is extremely competetive to get into pharmacy school. Even if you apply to a school somewhere in the boon-docs.... your still competing with other students. You want to make yourself stand out somehow to ensure that you can get into at least 1 school.

Sure, I want to tell you the same thing that others are saying, "Go ahead and try..." but I want to be real with you. Please understand that I am not putting down,nor am I trying to discourage you from applying this yr, I just want to help you increase your chances of getting in because I know lots of individuals who are in the same boat as you. We all have our ups and downs, and reasons for why we do not have 4.0's but do you think the schools really care? Lots of schools look at the #'s first and then decide whether or not they want to read your statement letter and etc. They need a way of screening people out before going in debt over an application. With all that said, I think you should take this yr off and try to make yourself stand out by getting pharmacy experience, and maybe even voluntering somewhere interesting & meaningful. Something that you can talk about with your interviewer. GOOD LUCK and whatever you decide :xf:

In my opinion you should apply 2011. Stay in school and you had better get a 4.0 these next semesters - not this 3.4/3.5 stuff... most of the students getting accepted get 3.4/3.5's all throughout their pre-pharmacy curriculum not just the past 2 semesters. You need to get 4.0's to even compete against them. Make sure you nail the PCAT (I'm talking like 80+). AND get some pharmacy experience on top of that this summer. When you apply for schools for 2011 you should hopefully have a bachelors and you will want to apply to like 10-15+ schools if you can afford it.

If you have a 2.7 after your 2 semesters of 3.5 and 3.4 then that is really bad. Chances are adcoms aren't going to appeal to pity and decide to give you a chance - they are going to stay on the safe side and admit the 3.5gpa kid over you. And that's that.

By looking at your GPA, no pharm experience, and no research experience I'm given the impression that you either really didn't try at all or you just had too much fun in school - and the adcoms are probably going to have that same viewpoint. All the students that hit college with both their feet on the ground will definitely get admitted before you unless you do something about it!

You're going to have to bust your ass for the next year if you really want to get into pharmacy school.
Best of luck

Last edited:
Thanks Roziak... I really appreciate the advice. It's sobering and I definitely know I have to do all those things (high PCAT, higher GPA, job experience). At first I was planning on applying in December, after I had taken and got an awesome PCAT score, finished my fall quarter, and hopefully gotten some pharmacy experience by then, but after talking to a friend he advised that I apply early and that applying late is the worst thing to do. So i realized I had a lot less time left and my GPA wouldn't be as high. Although I realize there is a giant likelihood I won't get in this cycle, I'm still going to apply anyway in hopes that maybe I get lucky and if nothing else, get experience from just applying and learning from the process. I'm trying really hard right now to get experience at a pharmacy (called up around 20 pharmacies/faxed resumes etc., but no luck). I will get my pharm tech license soon and try again. Whether I get in or not this cycle, I will spend the next year making my application much stronger. Thanks for the advice, I know I deserve a swift kick to the rear. Sometimes people are just slow to develop.... haha :xf:

Ok well good luck. If you get an interview just shoot me a PM on here and I'll send you a huge compiled list of potential interview questions (around 200 or so) to practice so you don't get caught off-guard.

I've had 2 pharmacy interviews and I have only ever had one that I didn't see before on my list so it should help. Maybe I'll start a new thread around next year interview time to try and help some people... that'd probably be a good idea

Actually I'll make it right now. Just save it on to your computer