In Need of Encouragement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarletspeedsterMD

Reaction score
Hi SDN! I am a low stat (3.2c/3.3s/502) incoming MS1 at a T10 program. It seems like I’ve been more worried than excited about starting school nowadays. I’m worried that I won’t be able to keep up with the other students since my stats are so much lower than the school’s averages. Is this a normal concern? Does anyone else in a similar situation feel the same?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, it is a realistic concern. Be prepared to study hard and take advantage of academic counseling, tutoring, and any other support that is offered.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Remember that passing courses and STEP is more dependent on how hard you are willing to work, than it is on the stats you came in with. Tha advantage that you have over some of your 4.0/520 classmates is that you already have the resilience to pursue your dreams despite not being at the front of the pack. That’s a hard lesson for some people to learn (and many egos take a hit in M1!)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SDN! I am a low stat (3.2c/3.3s/502) incoming MS1 at a T10 program. It seems like I’ve been more worried than excited about starting school nowadays. I’m worried that I won’t be able to keep up with the other students since my stats are so much lower than the school’s averages. Is this a normal concern? Does anyone else in a similar situation feel the same?
Hey just want to say you're not alone. High stat applicant like myself have the same worries because everyone else seems like geniuses. However, I believe that if we work as hard as we can, we should be okay. I know it's also hard not to feel worried but try to enjoy this time. You made it to a T10 program!!!!

Congratulations are in order. You must’ve had a hell of an app to get into a T10 with those stats. AdComs aren’t idiots, they chose you for a good reason. I’m confident you’ll kill it as long as you work hard :)

Reactions: 1 user

If your school has pass/fail preclinicals (and most highly ranked medical schools do), you'll see very quickly that trying to "keep up" with your classmates is a pointless endeavor. Your first two years are about passing your classes (even if that's at a lower percentage than you're used to), doing a lot Step-focused material, and exploring your career interests via research/shadowing/other ECs.

Every medical school class has a handful of off-the-charts IQ students who can seemingly think circles around everyone else and have the scores to prove it - I know mine does. I'm sure you'll also have classmates with extremely impressive academic pedigrees. In fact, there will probably be a lot of people who fall in both camps. It's going to be intimidating, but you can't give into imposter syndrome. The same admissions committee that selected them also selected you, don't forget.

Medical school is a lot of competing against yourself and striving to improve in ways that make sense for your personal career goals. What your classmates are doing and how they're scoring won't affect you much in the long run.

Reactions: 3 users
To everyone who replied on this thread or messaged me personally, thank you so much! I feel 10x better after reading everything! :)

Bro you are like the definition of a medical student. If you are worrying about this, then you are already one step ahead of the game!

Seriously though, keep your head down, put your nose to the grindstone and I'm sure that you will be fine.

Just remember, schools do NOT want you to fail. You being accepted means that MANY high level physicians and faculty (at a T10 no less) believe that YOU can do it. Are you gonna trust a bunch of impressive doctors with hundred page resumes or are you gonna trust your self doubting self? You got in for a reason, and you will do great!

Just remember to run your own race. Don't worry about the others. There are scary smart people in your class, either T10 or a first yr rural med school. The only pressure you have is to pass My wife was an elite student and went to class to socialize. She graduated in the top 10% without much effort. I took a blue collar lunch pail approach, studying 8 hrs a day and on weekends, and hit the top 50%. Everyone has to adjust to the new pace of learning. Your school has resources, don't hesitate to seek them out. Graduation is the goal, the path is doable, just be willing to work hard. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 2 users