In need of guidance: 3.1 cGPA 32 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goethe87

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been searching around the forum for advice but finally decided to post my specific situation in hopes of getting some guidance. Here's my stats:

3.1 uGPA
3.1 sGPA
32 MCAT
NY Res
A+ in Biochem and Orgo II postbacc
Been employed since graduation (2 years) as a clinical researcher and lab tech. Have plenty of clinical and research experience as a result. Will be coauthor on a paper that was my baby. Presented it at conference.
Member of institute's running team
VP of institute's Journal Club
>150+ hrs hospital ED volunteer
Strong letters

Like many other people here I was too young and dumb and fooled around early in college and it ruined my GPA (dropping first year raises GPA's to 3.3's). I have a slight upward trend, but nothing remarkable. Basically I grew up senior year and buckled down, and have worked hard ever since... but is it enough? I'm just worried about not even getting my app looked at, due to a cut off. What else can I do?

Thoughts on MD, DO and FMG chances?

Appreciate all feedback, thanks.:D

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had the research experience you have. That publication will be great on your apps, as well is an average MCAT. However, you're really pushing it with the GPA. Personally, I'd rather spend an extra year doing retakes over jumping on the FMG ship. If you're not willing to take more classes to get that GPA a little higher, then apply broadly for both DO and MD on June 1st.

OP, your chances at getting an admission into a DO school are pretty good that's assuming you actually have shadowing and clinical experience with a DO. Your chances at MD are not very high but it's very possible. I got into more than a couple MD schools with a lower MCAT and some what similar GPA. So, I would advice that you read my MDapp concerning the dates and steps that I took to apply. Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies guys.

Godfather,
I was very lucky to get the job that I have. I was volunteering there during senior year of college, and when I graduated I was offered a position. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to taking more courses, but because I work 40+ hr a week, I can't take more than one class at a time. I see people in SMP take 30+ credits, and it would take me 4 years to earn the same. Is there any point in even another year of coursework?

I have no experience with any DO's :(

Flodhi1,
I read through your MDapp profile and it was very inspiring. Congratulations on your acceptance. It makes me feel like this is possible after all. I learned a few things and will definitely be applying them to my app.

Some more questions:
My UG school has a premed committee, with letter. It's been 3 years since I graduated, I don't have LORs from that school anymore, so I cannot get a committee letter. How negatively will this effect me?

Are there any 'lower tier' MD schools that are research heavy? I know this is kind of rare, as the more prestigious a school is, the more likely it will be to receive funding for research.

As I'm pretty strongly bent on research, would it be worth applying to an MD/PhD program?

Thanks again.:thumbup:

Well if you graduated several years ago then it would be understandable that you can't get a committee letter and it will probably not go against you too much. However, my undergrad offers prehealth committee letters to non-traditional students. So, I would say that you should contact your school and see if there's a slight bit possibility of getting a prehealth committee letter based on the letters you have or the letters you can receive. Some medical schools that take prehealth letters very seriously will ask on their secondaries why you were unable to obtain a committee LOR if available at your school. If your school does not offer a prehealth committee letter to you because you're non-traditional then just explain that on the secondaries. I think you will be fine.

EDIT:- Here is a link to help you better understand prehealth committee letters

http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/documents/lettersofrecommend_instructions_2009.pdf

As the medical school stated I will quote it "If you have been out of undergraduate school long enough that you do not know faculty or the pre-med advisor, you may request a waiver of the requirement to have a committee letter. Under those circumstances the committee is comfortable with letters from those who have taught you recently as you prepared for your medical school application." (This is a quoted statement from VCU medical school).

With respect to low tier medical schools having research, it's really hard to say. I would say look at the USnews ranking, NIH funds to certain schools and decide based on that. This whole "tier" thing is mostly only used by premeds on SDN, it's just based on USnews ranking. I know there are tons of "mid-tier" schools that get decent research funding which includes my top pick VCU/ Medical College of Virginia and of course there are tons of other schools. I think you have a reasonable chance of getting accepted into one of those schools you just have to play your cards right.

Last edited:
Flodhi1,

Thanks for answering my questions and even doing some spot research for me. It's good to see that schools are understanding of 'non-traditional' situations when it comes to LOR. I've heard VCU is particular about getting committee letters too.

Will follow up with my UG committee thanks.

How many credits will it take for you to raise that 3.1 to around a 3.3?
Also what are you D.O. calculations for your GPA?

Johnny,

27 more credits.... nine 3 credit courses. 1 course per semester (summer sessions not possible, sci courses are only offered during working hours). = 4.5 years

By DO calc im assuming you mean replace instead of average? Pretty much the same. 6 credits is a drop in the bucket of 108 credits.

I had 15 AP credits coming from HS that did not contribute to GPA... at the time I thought it was great that I could save time and money not retaking these courses, but now I wish I could've gotten some of the easy-grading padding they would've offered.

My take on the situation is that you want to goto medical school but your GPA is the only thing that can hold you back. Maybe finish up your job and take courses full time for 2 semesters and work part time. Move home with family if that is a possibility? I made this sacrifice and it sucks but well worth it. No point in dragging it out another 3-4 years if you need to raise your gpa. Just do it!! Also your MCAT will expire by the time you did all that coursework.