Aug 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Hi everyone!

I'm hoping to find a little guidance on here from some of you awesome people.

University: University of Oregon
Major: Human Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.68
Pre-Req GPA: 3.65
GRE: V: 159 (82), Q: 163 (85), A: 4.5 (82)
Observation Hours: 200, 25 of which are inpatient (settings: sports medicine center, skilled nursing facility, stand alone clinic, college health center)

Extra-Curric: This is where i'm having a hard time. This is probably the weakest part of my application. I volunteer at the local food pantry a few hours a week, but I'm having trouble thinking of other applicable things here since work doesn't count.

I have a list going of schools i'm interested in, but I'm hoping to find some guidance like "hey, have you heard of this school?" etc... It seems like there's so many schools and i'm having trouble narrowing it down! Are there any schools you all can think of that the stronger parts of my application will shine on?

Thanks!
Tyler

Jun 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I'm interested to hear what others say because we have very similar stats! Have you gotten any leadership roles in clubs on campus? Or have you been active in service-focused groups? The volunteer time is awesome, but more stuff would be even better, obviously :)

For example, I'm active in a student group that connects domestic students with international students through social events. I'm not in a leadership role there, but a PT school adcom member told me that would be "great to include" on my app.

The good/bad news is that a lot of schools (at least the ones I'be researched) don't put a ton of weight into EC, work experience, etc. Many programs have a GRE and GPA line that you have to meet first before the rest of it is even considered. UIC is a school like that, so you could look into their admissions packet (which is very clear and awesome, btw). I read somewhere that Army-Baylor really values high GRE, especially verbal.

Reactions: scrawnyguy
OP
T
Aug 1, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Is there a particular state or even just an area of the country that you are leaning towards?
I live in Oregon, but I'm up for anything! Some of the ones I was looking into include the Oregon schools, but then also Temple, Drexel, NAU, etc. I just really want to be applying to schools that mesh well with my stats, ya know?
Thanks again!

scrawnyguy

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Status
Physical Therapist
I'm interested to hear what others say because we have very similar stats! Have you gotten any leadership roles in clubs on campus? Or have you been active in service-focused groups? The volunteer time is awesome, but more stuff would be even better, obviously :)

For example, I'm active in a student group that connects domestic students with international students through social events. I'm not in a leadership role there, but a PT school adcom member told me that would be "great to include" on my app.

The good/bad news is that a lot of schools (at least the ones I'be researched) don't put a ton of weight into EC, work experience, etc. Many programs have a GRE and GPA line that you have to meet first before the rest of it is even considered. UIC is a school like that, so you could look into their admissions packet (which is very clear and awesome, btw). I read somewhere that Army-Baylor really values high GRE, especially verbal.
Army-Baylor's GRE average last year was 313, but when I went to the program tour last year they said the scores have been trending upward and they expected them to be a bit higher this year.