In need of guidance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
8/21/09 MCAT: 25N (7ps, 9V, 9B).
cGPA: 3.39
sGPA: 3.25
nonscience GPA: 3.71
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
Status: Graduated Bachelors of Science University of North Dakota

2nd MCAT : 8/24/10 SCORE= ?
AAMC4: 30 (10, 10, 10) most recent
AAMC5: 32 (8P, 11V, 13B)
AAMC6: 33 (11P, 11V, 11B)
AAMC7: 28 (8P, 8V, 12B)
Various Kaplan Tests: 25-30 first practice tests for 2nd MCAT
I am applying to both allopathic and osteopathic schools for this cycle. I am not delusional and I understand that my chances of acceptance into allopathic schools are poor, but I am hoping for an interview from UND. UND's medical school gives preference to North Dakota residents, but are definitely not automatically considered.
I am very motivated to study medicine, but I am at a disadvantage because my junior year GPA took a major dive. However, I finished strong my senior year GPA: 3.9 with heavy class loads both semesters. Additionally, I was working 20 hours/week doing research in the Biochemistry department of UND's medical school.

I am new to this forum and am unaware of many of the guidelines, but if anyone could offer advice on my chances in DO or MD I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I can give more info on my application if needed.

THANKS!!

Members don't see this ad.

UND has a unique point system for determining interview offers that doesn't require much in the way of ECs, from what I understand. I also get the impression that a good excuse for a bad year and a steep upward grade trend don't get you any extra consideration. Your school's prehealth advisor would probably be able to give you an excellent idea of where you stand with UND, but it seems to me that postbac classes might be necessary to further raise your sGPA, along with a higher MCAT, considering their median acceptee stats are about 3.8/28.

Osteopathic and all other MD schools will care about ECs, and you'll be expected to have the usual and customary ones. You've got some research, but how about clinical experience, shadowing, nonmedical community service, and maybe teaching or leadership?

Last edited: