ironmaidenrules

10+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Just got the call from KCUMB, I'm in. I have to be there on Monday. That will be fun with a wife and kid. Does anyone know if I can get any money back from AMCAS and AACOMAS? I just reapplied a week ago and I could use the extra $1000. The applications have not been certified yet.

Thanks

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Seminole, Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Medical
Man that is weak!!! They give you less than a week to move, get acclimated and start class?!? What about financial aid is that going to be late as well. I'm glad you got in but I feel for you. Thats wrong for them to wait till this long to let you know.

My wife and I discussed it and if this happens to us next year she suggested she stay behind a couple of weeks with the kids to pack up and move so I can go get ready. I hope it goes well for you, good luck.

About the Ads

BrownianMotion

Einstein's Simple Diffusion
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
ironmaidenrules said:
Just got the call from KCUMB, I'm in. I have to be there on Monday. That will be fun with a wife and kid. Does anyone know if I can get any money back from AMCAS and AACOMAS? I just reapplied a week ago and I could use the extra $1000. The applications have not been certified yet.

Thanks
call ur credit card company and if they those 2 places havent cashed in yet, tell the credit car company not to let them....

n0chi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Status
congrats!

Junkster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Status
Call the school to see if you can get deferment on reasons of having a family to move as well.

Junkster, who thinks it's usually understood

Sporky

Sporky
10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Sugar Land, Texas
www.innovativehs.net
Status
Pre-Medical
ironmaidenrules said:

Thanks
"Up the irons!" Mate! Right-o, hope you and your family get on well there. Cheers!

:)

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
ironmaidenrules said:

Thanks

Awesome! Very happy for you as they are pretty much my top choice...

If this happens to me next year, I may have to ask to defer, and I only live 50 miles away...

If you have any Q's about KC, just shoot me a pm and I'll try to help.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
blaze1306 said:
Man that is weak!!! They give you less than a week to move, get acclimated and start class?!? What about financial aid is that going to be late as well. I'm glad you got in but I feel for you. Thats wrong for them to wait till this long to let you know.

My wife and I discussed it and if this happens to us next year she suggested she stay behind a couple of weeks with the kids to pack up and move so I can go get ready. I hope it goes well for you, good luck.
Dude, he got pulled off the waitlist. What were they supposed to do? Delay the start of school so he could get acclimated?

Oculus Sinistra

Finish it.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
blaze1306 said:
Well, someone else probably got pulled off an allopathic waitlist and they had to scurry to fill the now-vacant spot. I'm sure KCUMB didn't decide to accept the OP and then wait 3 weeks to tell him just for kicks.

I was reading on SDN that someone got an acceptance call from LECOM the day before class started.

What it boils down to is this: If you're on the waitlist and Orientation is drawing close, you have to be prepared to overnight yourself to the school.

In any case, congrats OP!

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Seminole, Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Medical
Buckeye(OH) said:
Dude, he got pulled off the waitlist. What were they supposed to do? Delay the start of school so he could get acclimated?
No but don't you consider that to be a little bit shady? This is one of the many problems harped on in my pre med groups at school. Allopathic and Osteo's don't have a clear defined deadline to have a class filled. This is why people get screwed at the end of the application process. If everyone had to have made a decision by July 25th for example then there wouldn't be people in this situation it's a simple fix, One deadline to have your letter of intent in and a deposit or we go on down the list for DO or MD. If you've been on SDN long enough you'll see it, towards the end of the application year you'll see people holding multiple acceptances trying to make up their mind and waiting till the last minute. This really hurts those waitlisters like the author of this post who now have to scramble to start school.

About the Ads

exigente chica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2002
Visit site
Status
Congratulations...even though it's stressful now..just think you are going to be a doctor..yeah :thumbup:

Things will work out..don't worry.

Kubed

Mostly Harmless
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Oh me-o, oh my-o, oh-Cleveland, Ohio
Status
Resident [Any Field]
blaze1306 said:
No but don't you consider that to be a little bit shady? This is one of the many problems harped on in my pre med groups at school. Allopathic and Osteo's don't have a clear defined deadline to have a class filled. This is why people get screwed at the end of the application process. If everyone had to have made a decision by July 25th for example then there wouldn't be people in this situation it's a simple fix, One deadline to have your letter of intent in and a deposit or we go on down the list for DO or MD. If you've been on SDN long enough you'll see it, towards the end of the application year you'll see people holding multiple acceptances trying to make up their mind and waiting till the last minute. This really hurts those waitlisters like the author of this post who now have to scramble to start school.
It's not just people holding multiple acceptances. There are a variety of reasons for the last min shuffle. I know a kid whose mom got in a huge car accident a week and half before school started. He had to go take care of her and needed to defer for a year. The school gave it to him the deferment and called up the next person on the waitlist.

I agree it would be nice to have a deadline to keep people from holding multiple acceptances, but it would require an integrated application process, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Soccer885

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2006
Florida
Status
Medical Student
blaze1306 said:
I agree a deadline would be nice. But if I am holding a waitlist spot by the end of this cycle, any school can tell me a day before classes start that I am accepted and I will gladly stress over how I will get there and where I will live ;) . It's not that big of a deal, yeah its kind of wrong they give you such short notice, but they make up for it by accepting you to there school and now you can pursue your dream!

But I do understand what you are saying. Those students holding multiple acceptances really need to make up there minds to try to give the waitlisters some extra time.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
blaze1306 said:
No, there shouldnt be a deadline. People earned their acceptances. They have as long as they damn well please to make a decision.

Ive held multiple acceptances in years past. Despite that, its not like the spot at the school I didnt pick went unfilled.

I think people that get pulled off the waitlist are more excited by the fact that they got in rather than worrying about how/why.

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Seminole, Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Medical
Buckeye(OH) said:
No, there shouldnt be a deadline. People earned their acceptances. They have as long as they damn well please to make a decision.

Ive held multiple acceptances in years past. Despite that, its not like the spot at the school I didnt pick went unfilled.

I think people that get pulled off the waitlist are more excited by the fact that they got in rather than worrying about how/why.

I don't think you'd feel the same if it were you who had less than a week to move to a school with kids and a wife.

Anyway I will agree congrats on the acceptance.

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
blaze1306 said:
I don't think you'd feel the same if it were you who had less than a week to move to a school with kids and a wife.

Anyway I will agree congrats on the acceptance.

I probably wouldnt. But I was on waitlists for allopathic schools and not once was I like, damn, I hope people choose to go somewhere else so I can get in.

What was going through my mind was, damn, should have actually studied as an undergrad.

AmyO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2006
Status
Medical Student
blaze1306 said:
I don't understand why you think this is "shady." Someone who had a seat in that class got pulled off a waitlist somewhere (most likely) and gave up his/her seat. It happens to be the week before orientation starts (at least it's not the day before or day of-if someone doesn't claim their seat) and this applicant gets the chance to attend medical school. Having a deadline for multiple acceptances is not going to prevent the problem of people being pulled off of a waitlist at another schools. Individuals can get around the M.D. deadline even (until a certain date) if they do not have their financial aid yet. I would be thanking my lucky stars not bitching about the inconvenience (an acceptance versus no acceptance). That's an inconvenience, but the inconvenience is worth it to some to wait on the waiting list for a possible seat. While D.O.s schools do not have a deadline for multiple acceptances, they do require a much larger deposit than most M.D. schools usually around $1000-$2000 versus a couple of hundred dollars. I think this is to dissuade most (except for the very well-off) students from holding multiple acceptances. If they do, it's going to cost them.

theraball

Panned
10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Status
ironmaidenrules said:

Thanks
This is a problem some of us would like to have. Congrats on getting in. Surely AMCAS and AACOMAS will understand the situation; give them a call.

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Seminole, Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Medical
AmyO said:
I don't understand why you think this is "shady." Someone who had a seat in that class got pulled off a waitlist somewhere (most likely) and gave up his/her seat. It happens to be the week before orientation starts (at least it's not the day before or day of-if someone doesn't claim their seat) and this applicant gets the chance to attend medical school. Having a deadline for multiple acceptances is not going to prevent the problem of people being pulled off of a waitlist at another schools. Individuals can get around the M.D. deadline even (until a certain date) if they do not have their financial aid yet. I would be thanking my lucky stars not bitching about the inconvenience (an acceptance versus no acceptance). That's an inconvenience, but the inconvenience is worth it to some to wait on the waiting list for a possible seat. While D.O.s schools do not have a deadline for multiple acceptances, they do require a much larger deposit than most M.D. schools usually around $1000-$2000 versus a couple of hundred dollars. I think this is to dissuade most (except for the very well-off) students from holding multiple acceptances. If they do, it's going to cost them.
Of course getting in everyones ultimate goal and everthing else is secondary and thats the problem. With no questioning of procedure and just letting inconviente things continue to happen because "oh my god I got in I don't care where, how or when!" is how people get screwed and we have people not getting in till a few days before orientation, or at worst spending the whole application cycle on the waitlist. I'ts simple having a deadline for acceptance or just a date to have your class filled would prevent this, Im not saying I'm an expert, there could be a better way.

If you really think this is cool thats your opinion, but mark my words you and BUCKEYE will see towards the end of this application cycle there will be people posting "How do I decide between 3 or 4 schools" and holding those acceptancs till hell freezes over deciding. Thats one of the problems with the current situation and thats why it's a potential problem for those of us with families and extended responsiblities. I understand there are extenuating circumstances for people in their decision but not to the near exclusion of someone else.

I never said it wasn't great he got in, I happy for the guy but I'm one of those guys that questions authority, I don't believe everythings ok and I always ask why. When all of us started this medical school journey we are so caught up in achieving the dream we sometimes fail to "see the forest for the trees." Sometimes you gotta prune a tree for the forest to be healthy.

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
AmyO said:
While D.O.s schools do not have a deadline for multiple acceptances, they do require a much larger deposit than most M.D. schools usually around $1000-$2000 versus a couple of hundred dollars. I think this is to dissuade most (except for the very well-off) students from holding multiple acceptances. If they do, it's going to cost them.
Yet, some will still hold multiple acceptances and never give them up at all-- they just don't show up. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. LECOM-B has an interesting way of trying to limit that. They send out a crapload of paperwork and things to be filled out. It includes quite a few things that take lots of time effort and money to complete (statewide background checks, five titers, physicals, immunizations, drug and tox screen, etc.). That ALL has to be complete and received by the Student Affairs Office two weeks before orientation begins. If it's not, you can't go to orientation. That gives them a little time to contact waitlisters and have them come to Florida. I know several people that got accepted the last two weeks and none of them seem to have had problems getting here. In fact, they are all overjoyed.

About the Ads

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Seminole, Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Medical
scpod said:
Yet, some will still hold multiple acceptances and never give them up at all-- they just don't show up. Why anyone would do that is beyond me. LECOM-B has an interesting way of trying to limit that. They send out a crapload of paperwork and things to be filled out. It includes quite a few things that take lots of time effort and money to complete (statewide background checks, five titers, physicals, immunizations, drug and tox screen, etc.). That ALL has to be complete and received by the Student Affairs Office two weeks before orientation begins. If it's not, you can't go to orientation. That gives them a little time to contact waitlisters and have them come to Florida. I know several people that got accepted the last two weeks and none of them seem to have had problems getting here. In fact, they are all overjoyed.

That sounds pretty good. I just know that even planning for acceptance now if I got a late acceptance it would be a monumental undertaking to move with plenty of time let alone a few days. I hate :mad: moving with a passion!

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
blaze1306 said:
If you really think this is cool thats your opinion, but mark my words you and BUCKEYE will see towards the end of this application cycle there will be people posting "How do I decide between 3 or 4 schools" and holding those acceptancs till hell freezes over deciding. Thats one of the problems with the current situation and thats why it's a potential problem for those of us with families and extended responsiblities. I understand there are extenuating circumstances for people in their decision but not to the near exclusion of someone else.

I think your caps lock got stuck.

Dude, Im a second year, I know how the cycle goes.

"mark" your words? Wtf are you talking about? This happens every year, Nostradamus.

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Seminole, Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Medical
So your an expert since your a second year? And they say med students don't have genius complexes, thanks for playing we have some nice parting gifts for you.

MikeyLu2010

UT Longhorns Alumni
10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2005
Houston, TX
Status
Attending Physician
dude..wat are you arguing about..he has more experience ...and in reality...if you had NO acceptances..and finally received one the week b4 school starts..you'd be happy..not pissed off about the move...kids or no kids...and if you hate moving that much..just hire a moving company...like me...the purpose of this forum is not to attack people whenever an opportunity presents itself..but rather to help each other succeed in this crazy profession we call medicine...

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Seminole, Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Medical
DrMikeyLu said:
dude..wat are you arguing about..he has more experience ...and in reality...if you had NO acceptances..and finally received one the week b4 school starts..you'd be happy..not pissed off about the move...kids or no kids...and if you hate moving that much..just hire a moving company...like me...the purpose of this forum is not to attack people whenever an opportunity presents itself..but rather to help each other succeed in this crazy profession we call medicine...

Then why are you attacking me?!? I had one opinion and now medstudents are chiming in like its a national debate.I had no idea alternative opinions were so dangerous. I never said I was pissed geez,....

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
Seminole, Oklahoma
Status
Pre-Medical
DrMikeyLu said:
how the hell am i attacking you..

I tell ya, I'm not "in yet" so i'll defer to you. As you seem to be saying yours and buckeyes infinate wisdom being medstudents can have this thread. All I was trying to say, as I did in the beginning was congrats on the acceptance and I question the way things work sometimes I'm gonna go outside, BBq on the grill and spend some time with my son. Good luck.

rutennis

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys. I am applying to a few osteopathic schools for fall of 2007, but I have not shadowed a DO. I know some schools require a rec from a DO, is it bad that I do not have a rec from one? The thing is, I know what osteopathic medicine is about. generally speaking, I know the dynamics of medicine since many of my family members are doctors (allopathic)... What do you think ?

Buckeye(OH)

5K+ Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
blaze1306 said:
So your an expert since your a second year? And they say med students don't have genius complexes, thanks for playing we have some nice parting gifts for you.

Are you ******ed? Yes, the fact that Im a second year means one thing.

Ive been through it before. You haven't.

Thats called experience. Its in the dictionary, under E.

theraball

Panned
10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Status
rutennis said:
Hi guys. I am applying to a few osteopathic schools for fall of 2007, but I have not shadowed a DO. I know some schools require a rec from a DO, is it bad that I do not have a rec from one? The thing is, I know what osteopathic medicine is about. generally speaking, I know the dynamics of medicine since many of my family members are doctors (allopathic)... What do you think ?
Some schools specifically state on their websites that you must have a letter from a D.O. while others recommend it. Here's what UNECOM (Maine) says:

A letter of evaluation/recommendation from an osteopathic physician is strongly encouraged, but not required. If to be submitted, it should be from a physician who knows the applicant's character, potential as a future physician, ability to work with and related to others, and preparation for both the science of medicine and art of healing.​

Raven Feather

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
Status
I truly believe that IronMaiden got offered my spot. Because that is the very same day I had to defer after I had already moved 9 hours to KC. My reason was not because I got pulled off the waitlist for an allo school--I ran into some MAJOR problems and had to pack up and an move back home after signing a lease, spending money to relocate then go back to the drawing board. I'm out lots because of this and maybe it happened for a reason. Now Ironmaiden gets to go to med school.

LWestenhofer

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Well you week is really gonna suck, but at least you don't have to put your life on hold for another year! congrats and good luck with the move.

About the Ads