1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

In-Service Exam

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by SimulD, Mar 8, 2007.

1. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There was more urethral cancer and gastric cancer than there was prostate cancer. I don't get it ... Is this how it usually goes?
    -S

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. G'ville Nole

G'ville Nole Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just like last year. I swear, if I had locked down urethral cancer the last two years I would have been golden.

Anyone else like the RPA question that didn't specify a disease site?

3. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

ahh brings back memories..

4. Easterly

Easterly Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Im not sure Ive ever heard of a chemodectoma before... Gotta love the med student stuff though, makes you glad you paid attention in physical exam class.

Theres always some questions thrown out. Maybe the RPA will be too. I was thinking GBM for a while there.

5. OP
    OP
    SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Good - I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought chemodectoma was a typo. I'm going to study the crap out of urethral cancer... they won't beat me on that next year. They'll probably just load up on penile cancer questions, instead.

I figured the RPA meant GBM, but even still, pretty lousy question.

-S
    AHA - a chemodectoma is just another name for a paraganglioma. Still don't think I know where to go from there ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

relax guys. first, chemod.t. is a rare thing.
    2nd, rpas should be disease specific but you can make an educ ated guess as the usual things count (age, kps, in mets, extracranial disease etc)
    it always seems like the rare stuff is overrepresented (urtheral ca; sarcoma, vaginal etc). its all fair game. but focus on common stuff for real life; read other stuff for exams. the real exam is a bit more precise.

7. Adawaal

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm with you guys about the damn urethra questions. They were so heavy last year that I figured there'd be none this year.

Bigger question is what did people think about having all the questions mixed together this year rather than split out as distinct sections (physics, radiobiology, statistics, clinical)? Apparently it was done because people were essentially ignoring specific sections (PGY-5's not taking physics/radbio b/c they had already passed that part of boards) and this was screwing with the statistical analysis. Personally, I hated the new format.

8. G'ville Nole

G'ville Nole Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, one nice thing we did last year was a site-by-site review, which was easy since all of the site specific questions were grouped. Pretty difficult to do that now.