SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

In State Blues

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by saswimr, Apr 1, 2001.

  1. saswimr

    saswimr Junior Member 10+ Year Member

    Dec 11, 2000
    NC, Wilmington, USA
    I just moved to North Carolina to attend college, and I am worried about gaining in-state status. I want to be an in-state resident because of the preference given for admission to med schools. Does anybody have any ideas for me for gaining in-state status fast, or schools that don't really give preference to in-state students.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Homunculus

    Homunculus SDN Caveman Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

    Jul 24, 2000
    well, schools that don't give preference to state residency are basically all private (read $$$) or Washington D.C. schools. As for getting your state residency, you'll have to check with a local gov't office. It differs from state to state-- some all you need is a drivers licence, others a year of full time work-- it just depends on the state...

    take it easy

  4. gower

    gower 1K Member 10+ Year Member

    Oct 14, 2000
    New York
    You might try asking admissions at your own college, asking your premedical advisor, or asking admissions at UNC medical school. In many states the definition may differ depending upon what you intend to use it for. Some states make it difficult for full-time students attending college to get residency. NC must have a Department of State that rules on residency.
  5. Mikado

    Mikado Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Apr 2, 2001
    You might want to try bribing a public official. That seems to work on tv and in the movies.

  6. brentunc

    brentunc Member 10+ Year Member

    Feb 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH USA
    I actually went to UNC and established residency while in undergrad. Feel free to email me if you are still curious how to do it.

    [email protected]

Share This Page