In State Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saswimr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just moved to North Carolina to attend college, and I am worried about gaining in-state status. I want to be an in-state resident because of the preference given for admission to med schools. Does anybody have any ideas for me for gaining in-state status fast, or schools that don't really give preference to in-state students.

Members don't see this ad.

well, schools that don't give preference to state residency are basically all private (read $$$) or Washington D.C. schools. As for getting your state residency, you'll have to check with a local gov't office. It differs from state to state-- some all you need is a drivers licence, others a year of full time work-- it just depends on the state...

take it easy

homonculus

You might try asking admissions at your own college, asking your premedical advisor, or asking admissions at UNC medical school. In many states the definition may differ depending upon what you intend to use it for. Some states make it difficult for full-time students attending college to get residency. NC must have a Department of State that rules on residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to try bribing a public official. That seems to work on tv and in the movies.

Mikado

saswimr,
I actually went to UNC and established residency while in undergrad. Feel free to email me if you are still curious how to do it.

[email protected]