-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
In state residency
Started by Deepa100
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Depends on the school and state.
Is this for application or tuition purposes? Assuming its for tuition, some won't consider you a resident no matter how long you've lived there if you moved for education reasons, others are much more flexible.
Thanks!! I did mean for tuition. Is this info available in MSAR? I don't remember seeing it in that book. Or do I have to contact the individual schools that I am interested in?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks!! I did mean for tuition. Is this info available in MSAR? I don't remember seeing it in that book. Or do I have to contact the individual schools that I am interested in?
Can't help you with the MSAR, I haven't read it😳 I think you would have to contact the individual schools.
Each state has its own laws considering residency for tuition purposes, and schools generally publish this info on their websites. I don't think that they articulate their resident status policy in the MSAR given the limited amount of space that they have.
In my experience, it's tough to change residency status after you've already enrolled full-time at a state school. Once you become an oos student, some schools are quick to judge you as one who moved there for educational purposes rather than to establish a domicile.
There are some places that interpret their rules liberally and allow you to become a resident while going to school, however, I don't know of any specific examples.
In my experience, it's tough to change residency status after you've already enrolled full-time at a state school. Once you become an oos student, some schools are quick to judge you as one who moved there for educational purposes rather than to establish a domicile.
There are some places that interpret their rules liberally and allow you to become a resident while going to school, however, I don't know of any specific examples.
Hi,
If I go to an out if state school, after paying out of state tuition for a year, will I be considered an in state? Or does it depend on the school?
Thanks!
I think this will depend on the school.
For example, in NJ - the out of state students pay high tuition during their first year. But then on their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years the out of state students can become residents and only have to pay in state tuition.
It's not like that everywhere though. So you will have to look each state and the schools. For example, I go to a public institution - however in order for me to recieve instate tutition I would need to be married to someone who is a resident of the state.
Best of wishes to you!!!

Off the top of my head, I think there is a school in Texas and Ohio that lets you convert after a year, Cali too? I know for a fact that Colorado got rid of instate/oos and just have a middle of the ground tuition.
Another consideration is some states also require you to be live there year round and be employed or volunteering during the summer.
Another consideration is some states also require you to be live there year round and be employed or volunteering during the summer.
For example, in NJ - the out of state students pay high tuition during their first year. But then on their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years the out of state students can become residents and only have to pay in state tuition.
It's Jersey's way of apologizing for making you move there.

Off the top of my head, I think there is a school in Texas and Ohio that lets you convert after a year, Cali too? I know for a fact that Colorado got rid of instate/oos and just have a middle of the ground tuition.
Another consideration is some states also require you to be live there year round and be employed or volunteering during the summer.
In Texas, you can own property for 12 months and then be considered a resident.
I know at Baylor many OOS students buy a condo and then pay in-state tuition for their 2,3,4th years.
If you become a NY state resident, SUNY Upstate lets you pay instate tuition the last 3 years.
I believe all the SUNYs do this.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Off the top of my head, I think there is a school in Texas and Ohio that lets you convert after a year, Cali too? I know for a fact that Colorado got rid of instate/oos and just have a middle of the ground tuition.
Another consideration is some states also require you to be live there year round and be employed or volunteering during the summer.
I believe all public schools in Ohio allow change to Ohio residency after the first year. I know OSU and Toledo allow it for sure, not sure about Cinci or Wright.
As stated in other people's posts, it is totally state-dependent. I am attending school in WV as an OOS student and the admissions office told me that, "Changing from nonresident to resident status cannot be done while a student, unless the student is married and residency can be obtained through the spouse after 12 months".
Call the admissions office at the school you are interested in and they should be able to answer your question...
Call the admissions office at the school you are interested in and they should be able to answer your question...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 500
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 549