In state tuition/fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyInitialsAreDR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I'm coming closer to possibly choosing dentistry, I decided to look at the cost of attendance for UF, which would be the "best case scenario" for me because its in state. I've been trying to not look at the actual number so it doesn't sway my decision too much, but I decided to look.

$58,920 X 4 year=$235,680?!?! :scared: HOLY SHIIT that's a scary number with high interest! Idk, I was getting really close to choosing dentistry, even made an appointment for tomorrow to change my major, but these numbers scare the crap outta me, especially considering this is a best case scenario and may be even worse in three years when I actually attend/apply. Don't really have a question to ask I guess lol, just trying to imagine living a good chunk of my life with that kinda debt hanging over me.

Members don't see this ad.

As I'm coming closer to possibly choosing dentistry, I decided to look at the cost of attendance for UF, which would be the "best case scenario" for me because its in state. I've been trying to not look at the actual number so it doesn't sway my decision too much, but I decided to look.

$58,920 X 4 year=$235,680?!?! :scared: HOLY SHIIT that's a scary number with high interest! Idk, I was getting really close to choosing dentistry, even made an appointment for tomorrow to change my major, but these numbers scare the crap outta me, especially considering this is a best case scenario and may be even worse in three years when I actually attend/apply. Don't really have a question to ask I guess lol, just trying to imagine living a good chunk of my life with that kinda debt hanging over me.

Honestly, 230k isn't that bad. The people going to NYU and USC are paying 400k in the end. You can pay off 230k in 20-30 years easily. Think of it like another house payment. You're not going to be scraping by as a dentist making 20k and unable to make payments. It's the same way with med students, higher education is becoming a cash cow for many schools.

yes the Education Cartel is alive and well. But there's no generational conflict b/c we all got pacifiers like sports and techno gadgets. Life is great, move along nothing to see here.
debt_dees.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Try looking at 360k +. Don't worry about it too much; everyone is in the same boat, or a worse one.

MyInitialsAreDR

I just read your signature LMAO :lol:
about a month ago, I had a free membership to netflix and I ended up watching all 6 seasons of the office.... that scene had me laughin soo hard

Don't forget the likely 5% tuition hike every year too!!

Try looking at 360k +. Don't worry about it too much; everyone is in the same boat, or a worse one.

Ouch. Yeah I'm trying not to, but its just in me to have to see how much of a huge investment this is.

230k is relatively cheap. End of story.

Lol, yeah compared to private schools. I just thought in-state public would be a bit less still.

MyInitialsAreDR

I just read your signature LMAO :lol:
about a month ago, I had a free membership to netflix and I ended up watching all 6 seasons of the office.... that scene had me laughin soo hard

Seasons 1-7 on DVD in my dorm room! haha. Love The Office. Steve Carrell leaving is a terrible thing!

Don't forget the likely 5% tuition hike every year too!!

I know :eek: this is whats making this decision so hard for me.

Honestly, 230k isn't that bad. The people going to NYU and USC are paying 400k in the end. You can pay off 230k in 20-30 years easily. Think of it like another house payment. You're not going to be scraping by as a dentist making 20k and unable to make payments. It's the same way with med students, higher education is becoming a cash cow for many schools.

While 230K may be small change, tac on another 230k for a house, and another 500k for a practice and you will have little left to feed Fido...for at least 20-30 years.

While 230K may be small change, tac on another 230k for a house, and another 500k for a practice and you will have little left to feed Fido...for at least 20-30 years.

I wouldn't think you would buy a practice right away until you've been established a good amount of time. You could always move home with mom and dad for a couple years and focus on paying off that 230k first if you want. Then you can buy your dream house after that.

And your wife/husband would hopefully contribute something as well to your family income.

It's really not that bad.

Well......what would you rather be doing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg in tuition?

Nothing that I'd necessarily rather do, but things that are options that I sometimes wonder what they'll lead to is finance and accounting. Not too fond of it, but I would have no undergrad debt and immediately be able to save for a house, retirement, etc. The hours are my biggest concern there though.

I wouldn't think you would buy a practice right away until you've been established a good amount of time. You could always move home with mom and dad for a couple years and focus on paying off that 230k first if you want. Then you can buy your dream house after that.

And your wife/husband would hopefully contribute something as well to your family income.

It's really not that bad.

I suppose, but the main point of that 230k was thats for now, and thats best case scenario. Only one (public) dental school in FL unfortunately

Nothing that I'd necessarily rather do, but things that are options that I sometimes wonder what they'll lead to is finance and accounting. Not too fond of it, but I would have no undergrad debt and immediately be able to save for a house, retirement, etc. The hours are my biggest concern there though.

I suppose, but the main point of that 230k was thats for now, and thats best case scenario. Only one (public) dental school in FL unfortunately

Trust me, the corporate world isn't everything its cracked up to be. You're constantly fighting for a better position and fearing for your job security. You only make decent money if you work your butt off the entire week and be best buddies with your boss and his friends. Healthcare = more stability, more steady source of income, you have a skill for the rest of your life, you can be your own boss, etc. So many more advantages in my opinion.

And I looked up UF tuition for a FL resident and it's 31K for the entire year which breaks down to 124K for your entire dental school education. Tack on some living expenses and that is entirely reasonable. Are you not a FL resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, the corporate world isn't everything its cracked up to be. You're constantly fighting for a better position and fearing for your job security. You only make decent money if you work your butt off the entire week and be best buddies with your boss and his friends. Healthcare = more stability, more steady source of income, you have a skill for the rest of your life, you can be your own boss, etc. So many more advantages in my opinion.

Yeah these are the huge draws to dentistry for me. I want my hard work to be rewarded, both internally and externally. I know many times corporate work is thankless.

And I looked up UF tuition for a FL resident and it's 31K for the entire year which breaks down to 124K for your entire dental school education. Tack on some living expenses and that is entirely reasonable. Are you not a FL resident?

That's correct. I was just using the figures that they gave for the living expenses and such. With those numbers, it came to 230k. I guess its all personal though when it comes to that. I am indeed an FL resident. Thanks for your help

That's correct. I was just using the figures that they gave for the living expenses and such. With those numbers, it came to 230k. I guess its all personal though when it comes to that. I am indeed an FL resident. Thanks for your help

I tend to only look at tuition + necessary expenses because living expenses are so variable. The cost of living can go way down if you have a roommate, cook your own food, carpool, etc.

If thats with living expense, you are one of the lucky ones lol.

Many people today are finishing up with 300-400k. 235k is a bargain hahaha.

What do you think you'll make as a dentist to scare you away from that kinda debt? Assuming you work for 100-120k a year your initial years as associate. The interest rate on loans sucks, I agree, but you'll still be living better than majority of the population.

You won't make 120k all your career. Talk to any dentist today whos had 5-10+ years worth of experience, ask them how much of a jump they've gained from the time they graduated DS to today.

As far the doc's scenario goes.... you don't have to worry about that. If you own 230k in debt, and another 230k on house... and ur making 150k or less.... the bank isn't going to hand you another 500k to start your establishment irrespective of what kinda credit score you have, no way, today and tomorrow's banks are extra cautious with loans.

235k is actually really, really good for dental school.

I agree with the above... 230k is "affordable" in comparison to Cali schools and schools located in NYC :thumbdown:

Thank you all. I get what you're saying, but I'm just worried that this is ONE school, and all the others would have HIGHER debt. I was just hoping a best case scenario would be a little better and that the other scenarios wouldnt be as high of debt lol.

Thank you all. I get what you're saying, but I'm just worried that this is ONE school, and all the others would have HIGHER debt. I was just hoping a best case scenario would be a little better and that the other scenarios wouldnt be as high of debt lol.

Look at Texas schools. If you can get in then you're golden. Tuition for 4 years is about $80-120k, but they accept 1-5 OOS per year. So chances are slim.

http://dental.uthscsa.edu/admissions/DDS_financialinfo.php

I agree with the above... 230k is "affordable" in comparison to Cali schools and schools located in NYC :thumbdown:

Some times you have to sacrifice location for price if it is that important though. New York has Buffalo which I believe is very inexpensive and a great school. As far as Cali, I've never looked at instate figures because I'm OOS. :( But at least you have good weather there!

Some times you have to sacrifice location for price if it is that important though. New York has Buffalo which I believe is very inexpensive and a great school. As far as Cali, I've never looked at instate figures because I'm OOS. :( But at least you have good weather there!

Cali schools range from $290k for LA/SF, to $320k for UOP/Western, and $400k for USC. Figures above are with COL. No clue about LL but I'm guessing low to mid 300s as well. In-state tuition is easy to get after your first year if you're OOS.

Gotta admit, the weather is nice in Cali haha. But I'd rather freeze my balls off in Buffalo for 4 years if it means saving $100k :D. Buffalo and Stony Brook are in upstate NY btw and it's a lottttt cheaper to live in upstate NY. Columbia and NYU are the uber expensive ones in NYC. I'd recommend thick insulated jackets and snow shovels for upstate or "the city" (lived there :rolleyes:).

230K is not a lot for what you get. It's not too hard to pay off if you know how to manage money. Parents home was 300K, they paid it off in 4.5 years with my dad in a labor job, and my mom as a cook. As a dentist, you will be able to pay that off quicker, that is if you are not a huge spender.

Must be some high paying "labor job" and "cook".

:thumbup:

If detroit mercy didn't happen... buffalo was my school for sure. After 2nd year, you switch your status to in-state and tuition becomes like 22k per year for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Cali schools range from $290k for LA/SF, to $320k for UOP/Western, and $400k for USC. Figures above are with COL. No clue about LL but I'm guessing low to mid 300s as well. In-state tuition is easy to get after your first year if you're OOS.

Gotta admit, the weather is nice in Cali haha. But I'd rather freeze my balls off in Buffalo for 4 years if it means saving $100k :D. Buffalo and Stony Brook are in upstate NY btw and it's a lottttt cheaper to live in upstate NY. Columbia and NYU are the uber expensive ones in NYC. I'd recommend thick insulated jackets and snow shovels for upstate or "the city" (lived there :rolleyes:).

Ah yeah. I think UCLA for me would be around 310k with everything (~20k extra for the first year for OOS). But those budget cuts and tuition hikes scare me. Not sure how big the risk is.

:thumbup:

If detroit mercy didn't happen... buffalo was my school for sure. After 2nd year, you switch your status to in-state and tuition becomes like 22k per year for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

That cold weather though... YIKES! I'm a FL boy, I get cold when it's 50 out :laugh:

Not sure how big the risk is.

Out of context, but this sums up my entire feeling on taking on the debt+opportunity cost lol.