In state vs out of state, specifically IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amph119

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I like to think I don't ask stupid questions, but...

At a school like Rush, how big of an "advantage" so to speak is being an Illinois resident?

I mean, I'm not illiterate anything, so I have a basic idea. But can anyone clarify the advantages of me being an IL resident when it comes to a school like Rush... and at the same time explain to me why being a California resident most often does not yield such an advantage (at least from what I think I've read)?

I haven't completely narrowed down my choices yet. But when I do think about the upcoming application process, this idea pops into my head a lot. I finally realized today that I don't fully understand what is going on.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you know more about the environment. People in Chicago generally have good feelings about Rush and it has a good reputation. There's your advantage, since reputation is everything. Other than that, I don't see how being a student at Rush differs depending on what state you're from.

i'm kinda talking in an admissions / application sense, not living in the area sense... but over the past hour or so I've answered my own question, so no worries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rush does not give any advantage to IL state residents. Its not a state school, it private. The University of Illinois system and Southern Illinois University will give priority to IL state residents.

Good luck for your Orgo II exam.

DD

Rush does not give any advantage to IL state residents. Its not a state school, it private.

Yeah, but they are probably going to be more likely to interview a person from IL over a person from, say, TN with the same stats.

SIU doesn't really like people from northern IL unless you have stats that are stellar. You could probably get into UIC with those kind of stats though. Rush and Loyola seem IL friendly, but there are a lot of applicants from Illinois are their class size isn't as big as UIC's so they can't be too preferential.

I think that if you have the numbers and are competitive than being an IL resident may be a slight advantage for Rush or Loyola, but not by much.

Just my opinion, though.

Rush does not give any advantage to IL state residents. Its not a state school, it private.

Actually they do. Rush and Loyola both give preference to IL residents even though they are private, it says so on their websites.