"Inappropriate" medical terms

Dane07MD

10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2006
California
  1. Attending Physician
    I'm rotating on the ICU right now, and the MSICU nurses love when we come up and enlighten them with real (though somewhat inappropriate) medical terminology.

We started with Chandelier sign. Which they all thought was not a real term.

Then last night we dropped the "prostitute's pupil" on them.

Any other good ones out there you guys can come up with? I know there are plenty of one's that are off the book, but we're trying to collect those medical terms that likely originiated back when political correctness was not an issue.

Deuce Doc

Communityist
    10+ Year Member
    Oct 20, 2011
    1. Attending Physician
      I'm rotating on the ICU right now, and the MSICU nurses love when we come up and enlighten them with real (though somewhat inappropriate) medical terminology.

We started with Chandelier sign. Which they all thought was not a real term.

They were probably just impressed that you do a pelvic on all your MICU admits.;)

About the Ads

KLPM

7+ Year Member
      Dec 15, 2012
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        I can't really think of anything inappropriate. I know a couple of interesting ones like "Lincoln Sign" or "Levine Sign". I guess "megalophallus" might be one?

Daiphon

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
        15+ Year Member
        Nov 6, 2003
        The Windy City
        1. Attending Physician
          I forgot to mention A.S.S. .... Attention Seeking Syndrome.

Survivor DO

Well, if we're going there:

Supratentorial Pain Syndrome (fibromyalgia)

Positive perioral cheetosis in an abdominal pain complaint

Dilaudopenic

P3 syndrome (piss poor protoplasm)

...and the list goes on :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

About the Ads

24IdaFire

10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Jan 11, 2006
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Throckmorton's sign.
            I love to peg medical students with that one. If they don't know what it is I tell them, "Oh, you should go look that one up. It will come in handy."

I've used the following in the past,

Hyperdramatitis
            Victim of gravity
            Acute dilaudid deficiency
            Too much blood in the alcohol stream
            Medical sandwich
            Actively CTDing (Circling the drain)
            GrannyGram/GrampaGram (My work up for any elderly altered mental status)
            Treat the parents not the patient

I have a few from working as a medic too.

Somehalforall, when giving a drug you can't remember the exact dose of you either give some of the preload, half of the preload, or all of the preload.

Tryactin, when a patient was acting like a wimp, you would say to your partner, "Maybe they need some "tryactin" as in "They need to try acting like an adult."

I'll try to remember some later.

la gringa

10+ Year Member
            Oct 14, 2004
            esse quam videri
            1. Attending Physician
              in my freestanding ED that's full of suburbanites but not far from some southern small towns i've coined a few terms:

acute lorazepemia - a terrible disease mainly afflicting women of childbearing age, appears to be airborne as it spreads rapidly and can come in clusters
              the white trash truck - brings you patients not of your usual demographic who are usual on drugs of abuse and/or misusing controlled substances

Last edited:

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
              Partner Organization
              15+ Year Member
              Nov 18, 2002
              www.whitecoatinvestor.com
              1. Attending Physician
                in my freestanding ED that's full of suburbanites but not far from some southern small towns i've coined a few terms:

acute lorazepamemia - a terrible disease mainly afflicting women of childbearing age, appears to be airborne as it spreads rapidly and can come in clusters
                the white trash truck - brings you patients not of your usual demographic who are usual on drugs of abuse and/or misusing controlled substances

Sounds like benzopenia.

Spinach Dip

Delicious with nachos
                5+ Year Member
                Feb 10, 2012
                Earth

acute lorazepamemia - a terrible disease mainly afflicting women of childbearing age, appears to be airborne as it spreads rapidly and can come in clusters

Sounds like benzopenia.

Sounds like Female Hysteria to me.

About the Ads
                  D

deleted109597

"Tachy-aye Syndrome" reminds me.... ahhh, one of my favorites: "Status hispanicus".

Its what happens when the "Aye"s become self-sustaining.

Aye.... Aye... Aye.. (status). AyeAyeAyeAyeAyeAyeAYEAYEAYEAYEAYE.

Southern equivalent is tachylordia

"LordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordy

There's also a variant of tachylordia that includes junctional jesus.

"LordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyJESUSLordyLordyLordyLordyLordy"

Greenbbs

10+ Year Member
                    Sep 21, 2007
                    Glorious upstate NY
                    1. Attending Physician
                      There is a little known varient in elderly, jewish females from nursing homes called "oy-tach" which usually starts by talking about their son who is a lawyer then when the source of irritation (usually an underperforming child) is reached, "oy oy oy....."

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
                      10+ Year Member
                      Gold Member
                      Aug 21, 2007
                      On a box.
                      1. Attending Physician
                        Southern equivalent is tachylordia

"LordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordy

There's also a variant of tachylordia that includes junctional jesus.

"LordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyLordyJESUSLordyLordyLordyLordyLordy"

Was taught that it was referred to as a "premature jesus complex", but hey, who's counting?

rueby25

10+ Year Member
                        Oct 17, 2008
                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                          Attending asked me once, while looking at a chest x-ray, to demonstrate the prevailing Emerson-Biggins sign.

...he had a nice laugh about that the next day after I'd looked it up. Couldn't believe I'd missed it.

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.