SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Inappropriate questions to ask?

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by BlitzSleep, May 1, 2007.

1. BlitzSleep

BlitzSleep Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2006
    D-Town
    I am shadowing an Anesthesiologist Thursday and I was wondering if talking about the CRNA's wanting more independency (or anything along those lines would be inappropriate), as well as asking about shift hours, weekends, etc. I'm just a curious person, but I do not want to overstep my boundaries by any means. I don't want to make myself look foolish either.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BlackSails

BlackSails 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I shadowed a cardiac anesthesiologist, but didnt know much about the issue at the time, so I cant help you with that.

My advice would be to go to wikipedia, look up some articles on anesthetic agents so you have some basic knowledge, and can ask questions. If you can find out the operation being done, even better.

4. Noyac

Noyac ASA Member SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2005
    I don't find it out of line.

5. rn29306

rn29306 Drugs are bad, m'kay? 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Dirty South
    Each group is obviously different in the role of a CRNA within the ATC environment.

Just ask in a non-degrogatory way.

"What role do the CRNAs have in your practice?" or "What is their scope of practice here at this hospital?"

6. Noyac

Jun 20, 2005
    Wrong!
    I'd ask directly, " What do you think of crna's and of them wanting independence?" Don't beat around the bush.

7. rn29306

rn29306 Drugs are bad, m'kay? 7+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2004
    Dirty South
    So this is what you'd do even as a non-medical student coming into someone else's practice and bascially swinging for the fences with a question like that?

While you may be in a MD only practice Noy, some groups are dedicated to the ATC practice and while they may not like the AANA, they are dedicated also to their respective CRNAs and would see this question as wanting to start a pissing contest by an outsider...which i take it would be less than well-received.

Each to their own.

8. Noyac

Jun 20, 2005

I'm not sure what you see is wrong with asking direct questions to someone in a field that you may be interested in. For your information, this is exactly what I would do if I was curious about it. All you are doing is asking their opinion. You are not lobbying for or against anything.

9. Coastie

Coastie Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I agree with Noy.

Discussing "controversial" topics and even disagreeing on said topics in no way is a "pissing contest"; it's discourse, and a learning process. Of course, in today's p.c. world, many may disagree...

10. rmh149

rmh149 2+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2007
    I agree with Noyac.

Ask very open ended questions. Let them set the tone. Remember that CRNA's are used differently by different groups. Example, in the metroplex where I practice there are two large anesthesia groups...one group totally lets their CRNA's do their thing, the other comes in, pushes the drugs, dictates how to run the anesthesia, etc. For that group the CRNA's are more or less trained monkeys...technicians. The other group they are practitioners.

If they have CRNA's, ask the MD/DO how they work with their CRNA's. Then maybe follow with how they think the possible changes in law will effect the practice of anesthesiologists. I think its totally appropriate considering you are about to set the rest of your life to the field.

11. BlitzSleep

BlitzSleep Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2006
    D-Town
    Alright, thanks everyone I appreciate your feedback.

12. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra 10+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2004
    mountain home
    "Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

13. misfit

misfit Blinded Me With Science 10+ Year Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Minnesota
    "You ever seen a grown man naked?"

"Joey, have you ever been to a Turkish prison?"