Inappropriate questions to ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlitzSleep

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am shadowing an Anesthesiologist Thursday and I was wondering if talking about the CRNA's wanting more independency (or anything along those lines would be inappropriate), as well as asking about shift hours, weekends, etc. I'm just a curious person, but I do not want to overstep my boundaries by any means. I don't want to make myself look foolish either.

Members don't see this ad.

I shadowed a cardiac anesthesiologist, but didnt know much about the issue at the time, so I cant help you with that.

My advice would be to go to wikipedia, look up some articles on anesthetic agents so you have some basic knowledge, and can ask questions. If you can find out the operation being done, even better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Each group is obviously different in the role of a CRNA within the ATC environment.

Just ask in a non-degrogatory way.

"What role do the CRNAs have in your practice?" or "What is their scope of practice here at this hospital?"

Each group is obviously different in the role of a CRNA within the ATC environment.

Just ask in a non-degrogatory way.

"What role do the CRNAs have in your practice?" or "What is their scope of practice here at this hospital?"

Wrong!
I'd ask directly, " What do you think of crna's and of them wanting independence?" Don't beat around the bush.

So this is what you'd do even as a non-medical student coming into someone else's practice and bascially swinging for the fences with a question like that?

While you may be in a MD only practice Noy, some groups are dedicated to the ATC practice and while they may not like the AANA, they are dedicated also to their respective CRNAs and would see this question as wanting to start a pissing contest by an outsider...which i take it would be less than well-received.

Each to their own.

So this is what you'd do even as a non-medical student coming into someone else's practice and bascially swinging for the fences with a question like that?

While you may be in a MD only practice Noy, some groups are dedicated to the ATC practice and while they may not like the AANA, they are dedicated also to their respective CRNAs and would see this question as wanting to start a pissing contest by an outsider...which i take it would be less than well-received.

Each to their own.

I'm not sure what you see is wrong with asking direct questions to someone in a field that you may be interested in. For your information, this is exactly what I would do if I was curious about it. All you are doing is asking their opinion. You are not lobbying for or against anything.

I agree with Noy.

Discussing "controversial" topics and even disagreeing on said topics in no way is a "pissing contest"; it's discourse, and a learning process. Of course, in today's p.c. world, many may disagree...

I'm not sure what you see is wrong with asking direct questions to someone in a field that you may be interested in. For your information, this is exactly what I would do if I was curious about it. All you are doing is asking their opinion. You are not lobbying for or against anything.

I agree with Noyac.

Ask very open ended questions. Let them set the tone. Remember that CRNA's are used differently by different groups. Example, in the metroplex where I practice there are two large anesthesia groups...one group totally lets their CRNA's do their thing, the other comes in, pushes the drugs, dictates how to run the anesthesia, etc. For that group the CRNA's are more or less trained monkeys...technicians. The other group they are practitioners.

If they have CRNA's, ask the MD/DO how they work with their CRNA's. Then maybe follow with how they think the possible changes in law will effect the practice of anesthesiologists. I think its totally appropriate considering you are about to set the rest of your life to the field.

Alright, thanks everyone I appreciate your feedback.

"You ever seen a grown man naked?"

"Joey, have you ever been to a Turkish prison?"