Include TBR Verbal or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question: Would doing BR verbal be counterproductive? Verbal is my worst section and the only thing holding me back (6VR 1st MCAT), and I need as much practice as possible. Between EK and TPRH Verbal I can do 3 passages/day up until my exam. I have found that some TBR passages and questions are representative of the MCAT, but other passages are unrealistic and have bogus questions. So, would you recommend that I just do all of them? Or only the ones that I feel are a decent representation of AAMC? (Keep in mind I scored a 6, and I really need an 8 on the next MCAT).

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

How would you know if a TBR verbal passage is representative unless you do it first?

Maybe I was unclear. I have done TBR passages and some are representative and some are not. I said I would look at the questions beforehand to see if they are representative of AAMC. If they are, then I read the passage and answer the questions.

Maybe I was unclear. I have done TBR passages and some are representative and some are not. I said I would look at the questions beforehand to see if they are representative of AAMC. If they are, then I read the passage and answer the questions.

If you look at the questions beforehand you're not exactly getting realistic practice doing the passage afterward.. (Unless you use that strategy normally, and include the question preview in your time)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at the questions beforehand you're not exactly getting realistic practice doing the passage afterward.. (Unless you use that strategy normally, and include the question preview in your time)

Why are you wasting time not offering advice, just don't reply. I know that if I skim them quickly to see if they are bogus questions or not, it will have a small impact. I'm asking if TBR Verbal is worth doing or not considering I got a 6 and need an 8. Or if it will be counter-productive.

why are you wasting time not offering advice, just don't reply. I know that if i skim them quickly to see if they are bogus questions or not, it will have a small impact. I'm asking if tbr verbal is worth doing or not considering i got a 6 and need an 8. Or if it will be counter-productive.

1+

Why are you wasting time not offering advice, just don't reply. I know that if I skim them quickly to see if they are bogus questions or not, it will have a small impact. I'm asking if TBR Verbal is worth doing or not considering I got a 6 and need an 8. Or if it will be counter-productive.

:confused: I believe it's relevant to consider that you may be poisoning your practice if you preview the passages. You want to know if its going to be particularly helpful for you given your experience with verbal? How can anyone say that for sure? If you think some passages in TBR Verbal are similar to AAMC passages, then it follows that you could expect to find those helpful. Is it worth your time? Who knows. I can't imagine doing more verbal passages would hurt if you need to improve your score. Good luck.

Have you checked out The Official Guide to the MCAT verbal section or the AAMC VR Self-Assessment? I haven't looked at BR, but these are some of the best sources for verbal practice.

Have you checked out The Official Guide to the MCAT verbal section or the AAMC VR Self-Assessment? I haven't looked at BR, but these are some of the best sources for verbal practice.

Hey. Yeah thanks. I will definitely include them in my last month of verbal.

Question: Would doing BR verbal be counterproductive? Verbal is my worst section and the only thing holding me back (6VR 1st MCAT), and I need as much practice as possible. Between EK and TPRH Verbal I can do 3 passages/day up until my exam. I have found that some TBR passages and questions are representative of the MCAT, but other passages are unrealistic and have bogus questions. So, would you recommend that I just do all of them? Or only the ones that I feel are a decent representation of AAMC? (Keep in mind I scored a 6, and I really need an 8 on the next MCAT).

Thank you

I honestly did not like TBR verbal at all. I would recommend LSAT verbal since they're pretty similar to MCAT verbal (atleast that's what I thought). My recommendation would be: AAMC>>>>>>>>>>>TPR>>EK>LSAT>>>>>>>>>>>>TBR

I honestly did not like TBR verbal at all. I would recommend LSAT verbal since they're pretty similar to MCAT verbal (atleast that's what I thought). My recommendation would be: AAMC>>>>>>>>>>>TPR>>EK>LSAT>>>>>>>>>>>>TBR

Perfect. Do you suggest that I use EK and TPRH first, and then use AAMC Assessment VR passages during the last month of my schedule (on the days between my AAMC full-lengths)? I feel that saving them for last would be best so I can truly see where I stand after EK and TPRH. What do you think?

Perfect. Do you suggest that I use EK and TPRH first, and then use AAMC Assessment VR passages during the last month of my schedule (on the days between my AAMC full-lengths)? I feel that saving them for last would be best so I can truly see where I stand after EK and TPRH. What do you think?

Absolutely....that's what I did. During the last month I made sure to use nothing but AAMC material.

Do you suggest that I use EK and TPRH first, and then use AAMC Assessment VR passages during the last month of my schedule (on the days between my AAMC full-lengths)?

This is my plan:

1. Finish content review

2. complete official guide to the MCAT

3. complete self assessment package

4. assess my weaknesses based on previous two steps, as well as performance on prep book passages.

5. go back to unused prep book passages for the stuff I'm weak in.

6. Take the practice tests.

To me, it's better to get an accurate assessment of your verbal performance before the final stretch. I think the AAMC practice tests at the end should be enough high quality verbal material that you should e able to burn through the guide and assessment package material before the end.

Absolutely....that's what I did. During the last month I made sure to use nothing but AAMC material.
Perfect. That is my plan. Nothing but AAMC FL's, VR AAMC Assessments, and the last 1/3rd of TBR passages during my final month. Thanks!