Including College Activities on App?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artsydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if other non-trads have included college activities on their application in the activities section. I graduated nearly 10 years ago and have done more interesting things subsequently and am debating if I should none the less include various clubs and activities from college. Also, I worked in the billing department of my father and his partners' medical practice for a few summer's back in college. Would including that demonstrate that I have knowledge of the medical field or would it make them wonder why I didn't get interested in it then. (not that anyone should wonder why someone with an understanding of the financial side of medicine would choose to run for the hills for about 8 years, ha) Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

i'm 2007, i've included one thing that spans my 3rd and 4th year and continue to now from time to time - the professor also wrote me a rec letter and is my boss since he pays me
other things, didn't include, 15 isn't a lot of room. left out tutoring as a juvie and working for espn x games, dance marathon, i also had a fancy celeb studded public relations internship (which is when i decided that i don't want to do PR).
i guess my criteria is that the stuff that's not very relevant to my path to medicine or qualities important in it and no room for, i had to cut.

Members don't see this ad :)
o, i also did billing for my mom's office - freaking nightmare.
ICD codes hate me

I graduated from my Undergrad 10 years ago. I did not include any EC's from my Undergrad. I wanted to show the admissions committee that I have been busy in my 10 years out and highlight why they should choose a nontrad like myself. If you graduated in the last few years I think it would be appropriate to include college EC's. However if you graduated over 10 years ago, I would not include VP of the Debate Team as an EC. I would want to know what have you done since college, if I was on the admission committee. Highlight some travel experience or work experience that a traditional premed student does not have. Take a CPR class (8 hours) if you are short on EC's.

This discussion brings up a good question... How far out post college should one be to not include college EC's?

I, for one, am a 2006 college graduate and plan on using at least 6 of those 15 experience boxes for college related items. I was entirely too involved in undergrad.

I graduated from my Undergrad 10 years ago. I did not include any EC's from my Undergrad. I wanted to show the admissions committee that I have been busy in my 10 years out and highlight why they should choose a nontrad like myself. If you graduated in the last few years I think it would be appropriate to include college EC's. However if you graduated over 10 years ago, I would not include VP of the Debate Team as an EC. I would want to know what have you done since college, if I was on the admission committee. Highlight some travel experience or work experience that a traditional premed student does not have. Take a CPR class (8 hours) if you are short on EC's.

This is good advice. As a non-trad you need to differentiate yourself from the typical student. Personally, I mentioned my travel experience, important work accomplishments and volunteer experience. I think the only college things I mentioned were committee positions (only briefly though) If you already have medical volunteer experience, try volunteering outside of medicine also.

Thank you for the input. I've decided to leave out the college activities. I reached my 15 limit without them and just felt that there were more representative and worthwhile things to include than the college stuff. Hope the adcomms agree!