Incoming first year - reading recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DivorceLawyer2011

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m a (super) non-trad starting an MD program
this year. Do any of you learned colleagues have reading recommendations in the meantime? I feel very excited to join you all in this journey.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't read anything medical. You've got more than enough of that coming.

Try Goatman by Thomas Thwaites. One man's attempt to experience life as a goat.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will say, the House of God presented me with the craziness of the hospital milieu.
The Hospital with George C Scott, a movie, also captured this vibe.

Reactions: 1 users
I will say, the House of God presented me with the craziness of the hospital milieu.
The Hospital with George C Scott, a movie, also captured this vibe.
I haven’t heard of this book.
I’ll check it out on kindle!

Hi everyone!

I’m a (super) non-trad starting an MD program
this year. Do any of you learned colleagues have reading recommendations in the meantime? I feel very excited to join you all in this journey.

Thanks in advance!
Anything by James MacBride. The man is a genius. Start with his most recent novel, The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store.

Reactions: 1 users
As above, Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Emperor of All Maladies
And The Band Played On
When Breath Becomes Air
Mountains Beyond Mountains
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down

Reactions: 4 users
Oh if I had a dollar for everytime someone asked if they should be reading anatomy and physiology textbooks before starting medical school .....

My recommendation would be The Plague by Albert Camus

Reactions: 1 user
Watch a couple seasons of Scrubs.

Reactions: 5 users
You don't even know what it means to know something at the med school level yet. Let yourself struggle for a few classes and use the external pressure to shape your studying methods. Until you're thrown into it, your idea of hard/efficient studying effective for med school will just be completely wrong, so you'll spend hours and hours studying only to realize that you barely learned anything useful at all.

Go enjoy your life as much as you can and get healthy habits in place. Once med school starts rolling it becomes incredibly difficult to slow things down and take care of yourself and those around you.

Reactions: 2 users