Incoming freshman question - BS v BA degree

sc164

Reaction score
I am thinking between BS degree V BA degree in pre-med track.
What are the pros and cons of doing a BA in Biology vs BS in Biology with pre-med track?
Few seniors have shared the information that it would significantly decrease the course stress with a BA course load and we can balance the clinical and volunteer activities.

Please advise.

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter what degree you have as long as you take the classes required by the med schools you plan to apply to. The majority of these classes will be science based, much like the BS route.

As far as stress goes, it will vary from person to person. I love the sciences so a BS degree was ideal for me. A BA degree likely won't have as many science requirements, so maybe this seems easier to some.

Difficulty will mostly be dependent on how you structure your schedule. You will have plenty of time to get your hours in with either option

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sc164 said:
I am thinking between BS degree V BA degree in pre-med track.
What are the pros and cons of doing a BA in Biology vs BS in Biology with pre-med track?
Few seniors have shared the information that it would significantly decrease the course stress with a BA course load and we can balance the clinical and volunteer activities.

Please advise.
Hi sc164,

It may be a lot easier to do the B.A. course track. B.S. does look a little better when you apply, but it's more important to get good grades. As I'm sure you know, the B.S. track often implies that a student takes advanced math and science courses, like calc I/II and statistics. Often this is the only difference between a B.A. and a B.S. Take a look at the course requirements for each degree, read the course descriptions, and decide for yourself if the B.A. track is for you, or if you're more a B.S. type of person.

Everybody is different. There's nothing wrong with making things easier for yourself.
Good luck!

P.S. FWIW, I got my B.S. in biology, and don't regret it. It was difficult at times, but I teamed up with my professors during office hours, went to study groups, and took advantage of the library. Make sure you spend time working on your study skills. If you're interested in the B.S. option, it just may be the right path for you. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think as a premed it should matter! according to what I learned in college: do BA if you want to go to med school and do BS if you want to go into research so pHD etc!

Whats the difference in courses? At my school is BS required Gen Chem, Orgo, Gen Physics and Biochem that the BA didn't require. BS was a no brainer for me, because it was the pre-med courses anyway

Whats the difference in courses? At my school is BS required Gen Chem, Orgo, Gen Physics and Biochem that the BA didn't require. BS was a no brainer for me, because it was the pre-med courses anyway
At my school , BA or BS were all biology related courses! But the BS was two or three more upper level bio classes than the BA! Even though the BA already had like 5 upper level Bio classss! The BA was what people went through if they were premed and BS if you wanted to go get a phD !

Then again I went to a top 5 college (non ivy) ! So I am guessing it is different at different colleges!

Reactions: 1 user