Incoming MS1, when to move?

Started by Perrin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Perrin

sittin in the morning sun
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduate this coming May, but I have a great job (research) at the university. How long before med school starts should I move to my new city. I plan on traveling there over the summer to find an apartment. Do I need a week or two to find my way around, ie. walmart, good bar, restaurants? Basically, I don't want to get everything moved in and then be bored waiting for school to start.
 
Perrin said:
I graduate this coming May, but I have a great job (research) at the university. How long before med school starts should I move to my new city. I plan on traveling there over the summer to find an apartment. Do I need a week or two to find my way around, ie. walmart, good bar, restaurants? Basically, I don't want to get everything moved in and then be bored waiting for school to start.

Move early enough that you will be absolutely, completely settled, having a good time in the cool places you found in your new city, and ready for school to start. Phone hooked up, high-speed Internet installed, computer ready, furniture bought, school supplies, groceries in the fridge. Once school starts, there is no time to slowly get your life in order.
 
I'm thinking about a month prior, but I have a household and family to settle in a new home.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Find an apartment a couple months in advance. Then move in about 1-2 weeks before school starts, unless the city is really cool, then move in earlier and party it up.
 
I'd check apartment ads in the late spring/early summer esp if the med school you are going to is assoc w/ an undergrad in a similar area. Lots of seniors moving out, others moving up, you moving in. I would give yourself a couple of weeks for the same reasons as above, including learning traffic patterns, finding alternate ways to school, and any pre-parties that may be held by the med sdudents.
 
I found an apt several months in advance and then moved in like 2 days before classes started. I intended to move in before that but the person moving out kept pushing the date back. Anyway, it really wasn't that bad having only a couple of days to get settled so really a week or so in advance is plenty of time.