Incoming MS1, when to move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrin

sittin in the morning sun
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduate this coming May, but I have a great job (research) at the university. How long before med school starts should I move to my new city. I plan on traveling there over the summer to find an apartment. Do I need a week or two to find my way around, ie. walmart, good bar, restaurants? Basically, I don't want to get everything moved in and then be bored waiting for school to start.

Members don't see this ad.

Perrin said:
I graduate this coming May, but I have a great job (research) at the university. How long before med school starts should I move to my new city. I plan on traveling there over the summer to find an apartment. Do I need a week or two to find my way around, ie. walmart, good bar, restaurants? Basically, I don't want to get everything moved in and then be bored waiting for school to start.

Move early enough that you will be absolutely, completely settled, having a good time in the cool places you found in your new city, and ready for school to start. Phone hooked up, high-speed Internet installed, computer ready, furniture bought, school supplies, groceries in the fridge. Once school starts, there is no time to slowly get your life in order.

I'm thinking about a month prior, but I have a household and family to settle in a new home.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how early should you start looking for apartments?

Find an apartment a couple months in advance. Then move in about 1-2 weeks before school starts, unless the city is really cool, then move in earlier and party it up.

I'd check apartment ads in the late spring/early summer esp if the med school you are going to is assoc w/ an undergrad in a similar area. Lots of seniors moving out, others moving up, you moving in. I would give yourself a couple of weeks for the same reasons as above, including learning traffic patterns, finding alternate ways to school, and any pre-parties that may be held by the med sdudents.

I found an apt several months in advance and then moved in like 2 days before classes started. I intended to move in before that but the person moving out kept pushing the date back. Anyway, it really wasn't that bad having only a couple of days to get settled so really a week or so in advance is plenty of time.