Perrin

sittin in the morning sun
15+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2004
The Porch
Visit site
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I graduate this coming May, but I have a great job (research) at the university. How long before med school starts should I move to my new city. I plan on traveling there over the summer to find an apartment. Do I need a week or two to find my way around, ie. walmart, good bar, restaurants? Basically, I don't want to get everything moved in and then be bored waiting for school to start.

MeowMix

Explaining "Post-Call"
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Perrin said:
I graduate this coming May, but I have a great job (research) at the university. How long before med school starts should I move to my new city. I plan on traveling there over the summer to find an apartment. Do I need a week or two to find my way around, ie. walmart, good bar, restaurants? Basically, I don't want to get everything moved in and then be bored waiting for school to start.

Move early enough that you will be absolutely, completely settled, having a good time in the cool places you found in your new city, and ready for school to start. Phone hooked up, high-speed Internet installed, computer ready, furniture bought, school supplies, groceries in the fridge. Once school starts, there is no time to slowly get your life in order.

About the Ads

placebo_B12

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Chicago
Status
Find an apartment a couple months in advance. Then move in about 1-2 weeks before school starts, unless the city is really cool, then move in earlier and party it up.

dancinjenn

I'm ready for my close up
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2004
MI
Visit site
Status
  1. Medical Student
I'd check apartment ads in the late spring/early summer esp if the med school you are going to is assoc w/ an undergrad in a similar area. Lots of seniors moving out, others moving up, you moving in. I would give yourself a couple of weeks for the same reasons as above, including learning traffic patterns, finding alternate ways to school, and any pre-parties that may be held by the med sdudents.

erin682

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Hogwarts
Status
  1. Attending Physician
I found an apt several months in advance and then moved in like 2 days before classes started. I intended to move in before that but the person moving out kept pushing the date back. Anyway, it really wasn't that bad having only a couple of days to get settled so really a week or so in advance is plenty of time.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads