Incoming P2 -- No Internship, how screwed am I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meeninit

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Due to a combination of nihilism and depression I did not get an internship this summer. I finished P1 year with a 3.78 gpa. I'm not sure if I want to pursue a residency.

I will start an IPPE rotation next week with Walgreen's and I hope my preceptor can put in a good word for me or something, but the Walgreens near campus are known to be immensely saturated by the pharmacy students.

Anyways, how behind am I at this point?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered LPN school?

Have you considered LPN school?

Thanks for the reply. Just from a financial standpoint that would be suicide, their salary is far too low to pay off my impending 140k debt. An additional 40k through LPN school would put that value at 180k, or $2100/month. That's probably more than half what they make.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Just from a financial standpoint that would be suicide, their salary is far too low to pay off my impending 140k debt. An additional 40k through LPN school would put that value at 180k, or $2100/month. That's probably more than half what they make.

Oh it was just a dumb joke. Serious answer: you still have time to find an internship but you need to make it happen regardless of personal circumstances. Employers won't care about your life problems regardless of how serious they are. They just want people with a proven track record. Good luck!

I didn't do any intership, join any clubs or do buisness program along with Pharmacy. Just focused on school and once I passed my exams I just worked harder than anyone at my job. I became a PIC in less than 6 months out of school at one of the top stores in our region. It's all about hard work. Focus on school.

Reactions: 1 users
It's definitely not too late. But don't just wait around hoping other people will put in a good word. Get your resume ready. Practice your interview skills. Get on internet job boards and start looking for positions. Ask the faculty at your school if they know anywhere that's hiring. Ask your friends if they know anywhere that's hiring. Go to your state's pharmacy organizations' meetings and network. Hustle hard. Starting an internship P2 year is really not bad at all. Good luck to you.

Just put together a good resume and apply for jobs. It's not that hard. Sometimes the schools even send out emails for employers who are looking for applicants. Try applying to some of these too if you school does this.

I'd most certainly try to get a job at a place you would like to work at as a pharmacist and is likely to hire interns upon graduation. If you do this you may have a job offer before your P4 year starts.

Lots of people in my class applied to jobs at the end of P1 year that way they could work through the summer. As long as you don't wait until P3 year starts you aren't screwed.

You're not screwed, but live your life as if you are screwed until you get an internship. Days will become weeks then weeks become semesters and then oops, you're a P3 with no internship. Try getting an internship before September rolls around, October at the latest. Next summer devote your life to the internship, don't take days off because "yolo".
The job market is getting more and more bleak and by the time you graduate only those that put an effort will be getting the jobs.
Start now.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't do any intership, join any clubs or do buisness program along with Pharmacy. Just focused on school and once I passed my exams I just worked harder than anyone at my job. I became a PIC in less than 6 months out of school at one of the top stores in our region. It's all about hard work. Focus on school.

You're from a different era. These kids graduating in 2019/2020 will experience different dynamics. A 3.7-3.8 doesn't mean anything with no job experience.

Reactions: 2 users
nossing-750x400.png

I'm about to be a P3 and I still haven't interned yet o_O. I'm not super worried though I can always get the 300 required hours after I graduate.

I'm about to be a P3 and I still haven't interned yet o_O. I'm not super worried though I can always get the 300 required hours after I graduate.

You probably want to start rethinking that plan. Obviously you won't have much time to intern during rotations. Then you'll graduate and be considered a grad intern. NOBODY wants to pay for a grad intern, especially one with no work experience who they don't know will work for them afterwards.

The only other way to get the hours, if your state allows it, is to volunteer for 300 hours. Seems like a waste to go unpaid for so much time.

Then the job hunting will begin, and everyone will wonder why you don't have work experience, and why they should hire you over all the applicants that do have it.

You probably want to start rethinking that plan. Obviously you won't have much time to intern during rotations. Then you'll graduate and be considered a grad intern. NOBODY wants to pay for a grad intern, especially one with no work experience who they don't know will work for them afterwards.

The only other way to get the hours, if your state allows it, is to volunteer for 300 hours. Seems like a waste to go unpaid for so much time.

Then the job hunting will begin, and everyone will wonder why you don't have work experience, and why they should hire you over all the applicants that do have it.

I guess I'm different then most students. I can intern anytime at an independent pharmacy I used to work at. I actually did about 60 hours already but never submitted my hours. My daughter was born so I had to stop interning only after a couple weeks. I also have a friend that has an aunt thats a manager at wags. She said to let her know if I need hours.

But I guess I should get on it to get it over with. I just didnt want to work this summer because I wanted to spend time with my daughter since this is probably the very last summer I have off until I retire.

Have you considered the second closest Walgreens location to campus?