Incomplete Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Revenant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I put this off about as long as possible, but my problem is that while my application materials are complete (and have been for months)...my letter writers have taken their good ol' time for the past few months, and have essentially left me in the position of submitting incomplete secondaries for a few schools. For most of the schools that require two letters I have one complete with the others on the way. Should I apply to those schools or just scrap the secondary application because if all the materials fail to reach the admissions office by the end of March 1st they won't even look at it.

Also...in the event I have to reapply, is it okay to reuse letters so I won't have to go through this hell again?

Members don't see this ad.

I am boned.

Sorry to say but I agree with your self-assesment. If you're not complete at schools by now it sounds like it is time to start getting things ready for next app cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still have a shot at the ones with later dates (KCUMB, UNECOM, NYCOM, LECOM, LECOM-B), but yeah...I would feel much better reapplying anyway. One would think 4 months of prep time should be enough to write a few letters of recommendation but apparently not. It's distressing to depend on others.

I still have a shot at the ones with later dates (KCUMB, UNECOM, NYCOM, LECOM, LECOM-B), but yeah...I would feel much better reapplying anyway. One would think 4 months of prep time should be enough to write a few letters of recommendation but apparently not. It's distressing to depend on others.

Constantly annoy them, once you get over the "I hope I'm not bothering them" complex, things start moving alot quicker.

Constantly annoy them, once you get over the "I hope I'm not bothering them" complex, things start moving alot quicker.

I was able to use Interfolio to bug them quite a bit but nothing really happened. What a waste of time and money.

I was able to use Interfolio to bug them quite a bit but nothing really happened. What a waste of time and money.

I think he/she meant to bug them with a more personal approach. Do you know these people?? Why didn't you tell them when you needed your letters??

I think he/she meant to bug them with a more personal approach. Do you know these people?? Why didn't you tell them when you needed your letters??

They took a bit of time to write them and mailed them to Interfolio. For all I know they're in the depths of the USPS system or in Interfolio's own pile.

Illegally is correct...people find it easy to be buttheads or ignore others electronically, it is harder to do over the phone and harder still face-to-face.

If someone made a commitment to write you a letter, make them follow through.

They took a bit of time to write them and mailed them to Interfolio. For all I know they're in the depths of the USPS system or in Interfolio's own pile.

@Revenant -- My name is Mike and I currently work at Interfolio in Washington, D.C.

If your letter writer sent the recommendation by standard mail, it may take up to 14 days for it to arrive at our office here in Washington, D.C. Please note that an additional 1-3 business days are required to process the letter into your account.

Please be assured that once we receive and upload your letter, we will alert you to its availability via email.

If time is an issue, know that your letter writer can fax his/her document to us directly at 202.403.3783. Once we receive the file, it will be uploaded immediately.

Any additional questions can be sent to me directly at [email protected]. If you provide me with your user name and the contact information of your letter writers, I can even follow up with them directly on your behalf.

Sorry for the trouble thus far, and I wish you the best of luck. :thumbup:

Cheers,
Mike

I had that problem when I basically got ignored for 2month by my LOR writers until I read this tip online to send whatever e-mail correspondence you want someone to read at 4 am so that it's the first thing in their inbox when they check as they are mostly likely to complete these kinds of tasks before the day get started. I did this and I had all the letters printed and ready for me the next day. It may be too late for OP but others in this situation should give this a try.

I had that problem when I basically got ignored for 2month by my LOR writers until I read this tip online to send whatever e-mail correspondence you want someone to read at 4 am so that it's the first thing in their inbox when they check as they are mostly likely to complete these kinds of tasks before the day get started. I did this and I had all the letters printed and ready for me the next day. It may be too late for OP but others in this situation should give this a try.

Forget tricks about e-mailing at 4am... simply talk to your letter writers.

These are people who you should know, and know you well enough to write a quality LOR for you. Before asking them for a LOR, know your deadlines and when you need everything in. Let them know when the letter is due (make it much ahead of time, so we're all human and procrastinate), and ask for your LORs very early on.

Its the end of the cycle? How is anyone waiting for an LOR? These are the types of things that all pre-meds should be accumulating over their four undergrad years, and whatever time they spend outside of undergrad etc leading up to application. Get your LORs together, or at least inform those whom you want a letter from before June of the application year, that way they can get your letters to schools, your advisor, interfolio, whichever, in a timely matter and not rushed.

Forget tricks about e-mailing at 4am... simply talk to your letter writers.

These are people who you should know, and know you well enough to write a quality LOR for you. Before asking them for a LOR, know your deadlines and when you need everything in. Let them know when the letter is due (make it much ahead of time, so we're all human and procrastinate), and ask for your LORs very early on.

Of course, this isn't always possible. That said, you should've ensured this:
1) That the letter writer has stated that they are able to write a "strong letter of recommendation" for you. I would ask that way if you're unsure. If they feel that they cannot, don't get one from them. No hard feelings.
2) Keep on them. Like everything else regarding applications, it's serious. If they've agreed to write for you, they should be held accountable to their promise. If they cannot, then they are obligated to inform you as soon as possible.
3) Keep yourself updated. I gave all my letter writers about a month to work. After that, I sent very polite requests for status updates. This actually saved me a few times. In one example, a letter writer sent two letters to one school when I needed one letter per school.