Incomplete Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhog59

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the deal: I enrolled in a biology masters program with the intention of boosting my resume and science GPA. My plan was to apply this cycle and then finish by next fall if accepted. I've interviewed at Kent and DMU so far with acceptances to both. I still have some interviews left, but I think I will ultimately choose DMU. However, I've recently realized that I will not be able to finish my masters before matriculating, so my plan now was to drop the masters after this semester and work full time until school starts. It would be saving myself a lot of time and money. Kent actually asked me about it in my interview, and I was honest with them. DMU did not ask, so of course now I'm worried. I do plan to call them, but wanted to see if anybody had any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In your acceptance letter from DMU did it state completion of your masters degree as an 'outstanding requirement' for admission? For example, my DMU acceptance letter had a couple of things that were labeled as 'outstanding requirements' that I had to complete before I started school next fall if I were to attend DMU. One of those outstanding requirements was "Proof of Bachelor's Degree Completed" by 7/15/2017 since I'm still in my last year of undergrad. If that masters degree is listed as an outstanding requirement then obviously I would get that done before school started in the fall. However, if it's not on that list then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

All that being said, I would still plan on calling them like you said just to get an official answer. That's just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
In your acceptance letter from DMU did it state completion of your masters degree as an 'outstanding requirement' for admission? For example, my DMU acceptance letter had a couple of things that were labeled as 'outstanding requirements' that I had to complete before I started school next fall if I were to attend DMU. One of those outstanding requirements was "Proof of Bachelor's Degree Completed" by 7/15/2017 since I'm still in my last year of undergrad. If that masters degree is listed as an outstanding requirement then obviously I would get that done before school started in the fall. However, if it's not on that list then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

All that being said, I would still plan on calling them like you said just to get an official answer. That's just my 2 cents.
Thanks! Mine just says "Final and Official Transcript," so I think I'm okay, but I will be calling them to make sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had the same question asked at cspm.

Could technically quit my program after December but told them I wanted to finish and intended to.

Really comes down to personal preference and if the school will let you.

Financially I wanted to quit. Personal goals I'm intending to finish.

Reactions: 1 user
Update: I called DMU yesterday and they said I'm good!

Reactions: 2 users