Incomplete Prerequisite before applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc422

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not completed a prerequisite for one of the schools that I hope to apply to. Since I have already graduated, would it be possible to apply to this school without this prereq and then take the class at a local university prior to matriculation if I were to get accepted? Also should I indicate this on my AMCAS primary or would there be space on the school’s secondary to indicate this? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have not completed a prerequisite for one of the schools that I hope to apply to. Since I have already graduated, would it be possible to apply to this school without this prereq and then take the class at a local university prior to matriculation if I were to get accepted? Also should I indicate this on my AMCAS primary or would there be space on the school’s secondary to indicate this? Thank you
You can do this, but don't put off doing the class too late because you need to complete it before starting at the school (summer term right before med school starts might not be wrapped up in time, for instance)

You can do this, but don't put off doing the class too late because you need to complete it before starting at the school (summer term right before med school starts might not be wrapped up in time, for instance)
Thank you for the reply, should I indicate this on the primary application or is there usually space for this on secondaries? Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply, should I indicate this on the primary application or is there usually space for this on secondaries? Thanks again
I would only point it out on schools that want you to go through your pre-reqs one by one in their secondary (there are several schools that do this). TCU for example tends to look over the pre-reqs as part of the secondary selection process and will ask then if you plan to take a missing prerequisite before matriculation. If the school has a secondary question like "What are you doing between graduation and matriculation?" that's the place to mention it. It sounds like this might be a pre-req only for some of your schools, right?

I would only point it out on schools that want you to go through your pre-reqs one by one in their secondary (there are several schools that do this). TCU for example tends to look over the pre-reqs as part of the secondary selection process and will ask then if you plan to take a missing prerequisite before matriculation. If the school has a secondary question like "What are you doing between graduation and matriculation?" that's the place to mention it. It sounds like this might be a pre-req only for some of your schools, right?
Yes it is a prerequisite for only one of my schools, although it is one of my top choices. So if I understand correctly it is not necessary for me to indicate this course on the “future courses” part of the primary? Thanks

Yes it is a prerequisite for only one of my schools, although it is one of my top choices. So if I understand correctly it is not necessary for me to indicate this course on the “future courses” part of the primary? Thanks
If there’s a future courses spot, that would be good too