Inconsistent DAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xedddi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I thought I would share my score today's test.

PAT 24
QR 27
RC 26
BIO 19
Chem 30
Orgo 20
TS 21
AA 24

I don't know how to feel about this because my scores are so inconsistent. I was originally planning on taking it after my third year but took the test this year out of whim because I wanted to see how I would do after finishing my second year. I did surprisingly well in most of the sections but my sciences seem too low. Should I retake to raise my orgo and bio scores?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone I thought I would share my score today's test.

PAT 24
QR 27
RC 26
BIO 19
Chem 30
Orgo 20
TS 21
AA 24

I don't know how to feel about this because my scores are so inconsistent. I was originally planning on taking it after my third year but took the test this year out of whim because I wanted to see how I would do after finishing my second year. I did surprisingly well in most of the sections but my sciences seem too low. Should I retake to raise my orgo and bio scores?

Thank you
These are fantastic! Bio is a tad low but your other scores more than make up for it. Nice genchem score. I think you don't have anything dangerously low (like <=17), so you should not retake. It may be hard to replicate that chem and qr/rc score. Did you have any advice on practice material? What scores were you making on practice tests if you don't mind me asking? Good job once again.

Since I thought this would be a practice run to see if I do ok and was pretty much set on retaking the test after my third year, I didn't really prepare much.
I bought Kaplan's DAT 8th edition, Crack the DAT All Ace edition, and gen chem section of Chad's videos. Feralis Biology notes were on the internet for free.

Bio: I read through Feralis Biology Notes for a week (a lot of questions showed up from here)
Chem: I watched Chad's videos all the way through once
Orgo: I just took orgo in my last semester so I just read through Kaplan DAT 8th edition orgo section once.
PAT: I looked through and solved the Kaplan DAT 8th edition PAT section.
RC and QR: I didn't study these sections since I heard the RC is like science section of ACT and QR was somewhat like SAT 2 Math 2 which I did well on

I took 5 of each tests in the Crack the DAT package that was given to me.
PAT: 24/26/21/23/20
QR: 22/25/28/26/22
RC: 21/26/27/25/22
Bio: 16/18/19/18/17
Orgo: 14/16/18/20/20
Chem: 21/20/24/24/22

I felt like Crack the PAT was harder than the actual exam. Bio/Orgo/Chem I think represented well or was harder than the actual exam. Crack the Math was definitely harder than the actual test.
I took the full test given in the back of Kaplan DAT 8th edition the day before the test to see how I would do stamina wise.

I'm really sorry I don't have better tips than this. I only prepared for 2 weeks for this test and honestly went in thinking that I would get around AA of 16-20 at best and retake for third year.
I think I did well because I went in with zero pressure and never panicked during the test even if i didn't know the answers but thought it through.
Now that I got a great AA, I'm just conflicted on retaking the test next year because of my score range of 19-30 which some people said was bad because of inconsistency, but I'm not sure if I could replicate my higher scores again.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your scores are awesome. I definitely wouldn't retake. Use that time to improve your application. Good job!

Wow I cannot believe crack math was harder. I feel so much better about the test now. What did you think of crack reading in comparison for question style and passage similarity?

Wow, for someone who only studied for two weeks, that's an awesome AA! Unless you feel confident that you can score even higher, I wouldn't retake. Good job!

I thought crack reading had similar passages but question style was a bit different. I only had 2 sentences for both sentence is true, false, etc instead of 3 they usually gave in crack reading. I also thought there were more questions that straight up had answers written in the passages instead of summarize, intentions, etc questions in crack reading.

I thought crack reading had similar passages but question style was a bit different. I only had 2 sentences for both sentence is true, false, etc instead of 3 they usually gave in crack reading. I also thought there were more questions that straight up had answers written in the passages instead of summarize, intentions, etc questions in crack reading.
Thanks. I hope I get a good math section. I'd be happy to get similar scores as crack math

You are good. Trust me. I would love to have those scores. How much did you study each day for those two weeks?

You are good. Trust me. I would love to have those scores. How much did you study each day for those two weeks?
I think I studied from 11 am to 2 am everyday including time for food. so it was around 13 hours per day for 2 weeks. For first week, I just watched videos and read through the books. 2nd week, I took a test a day and made notes on what I missed

and thank you for your advice

Last edited:
What RC strategy did you use? I'm having trouble with finishing on time, can only finish two passages and questions within the time limit, any suggestions?

What RC strategy did you use? I'm having trouble with finishing on time, can only finish two passages and questions within the time limit, any suggestions?
I skimmed the passage and read the first two sentences of each paragraph to see what the topic of the paragraph was. Then I went straight into questions and looked for my answer for the question and repeated. I didn't read through fully any of my passages in the RC section. I finished with 6 minutes left.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users