Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Inconsistent DAT scores

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by xedddi, Aug 13, 2015.

1. xedddi

Pre-Dental
    Hey everyone I thought I would share my score today's test.

PAT 24
    QR 27
    RC 26
    BIO 19
    Chem 30
    Orgo 20
    TS 21
    AA 24

I don't know how to feel about this because my scores are so inconsistent. I was originally planning on taking it after my third year but took the test this year out of whim because I wanted to see how I would do after finishing my second year. I did surprisingly well in most of the sections but my sciences seem too low. Should I retake to raise my orgo and bio scores?

Thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    These are fantastic! Bio is a tad low but your other scores more than make up for it. Nice genchem score. I think you don't have anything dangerously low (like <=17), so you should not retake. It may be hard to replicate that chem and qr/rc score. Did you have any advice on practice material? What scores were you making on practice tests if you don't mind me asking? Good job once again.

4. byahnoob

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Yo I need some tips.
    Those scores are too good

5. xedddi

Pre-Dental
    Since I thought this would be a practice run to see if I do ok and was pretty much set on retaking the test after my third year, I didn't really prepare much.
    I bought Kaplan's DAT 8th edition, Crack the DAT All Ace edition, and gen chem section of Chad's videos. Feralis Biology notes were on the internet for free.

Bio: I read through Feralis Biology Notes for a week (a lot of questions showed up from here)
    Chem: I watched Chad's videos all the way through once
    Orgo: I just took orgo in my last semester so I just read through Kaplan DAT 8th edition orgo section once.
    PAT: I looked through and solved the Kaplan DAT 8th edition PAT section.
    RC and QR: I didn't study these sections since I heard the RC is like science section of ACT and QR was somewhat like SAT 2 Math 2 which I did well on

I took 5 of each tests in the Crack the DAT package that was given to me.
    PAT: 24/26/21/23/20
    QR: 22/25/28/26/22
    RC: 21/26/27/25/22
    Bio: 16/18/19/18/17
    Orgo: 14/16/18/20/20
    Chem: 21/20/24/24/22

I felt like Crack the PAT was harder than the actual exam. Bio/Orgo/Chem I think represented well or was harder than the actual exam. Crack the Math was definitely harder than the actual test.
    I took the full test given in the back of Kaplan DAT 8th edition the day before the test to see how I would do stamina wise.

I'm really sorry I don't have better tips than this. I only prepared for 2 weeks for this test and honestly went in thinking that I would get around AA of 16-20 at best and retake for third year.
    I think I did well because I went in with zero pressure and never panicked during the test even if i didn't know the answers but thought it through.
    Now that I got a great AA, I'm just conflicted on retaking the test next year because of my score range of 19-30 which some people said was bad because of inconsistency, but I'm not sure if I could replicate my higher scores again.

ywcywc and 510586 like this.
  6. nornton

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Your scores are awesome. I definitely wouldn't retake. Use that time to improve your application. Good job!

7. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Wow I cannot believe crack math was harder. I feel so much better about the test now. What did you think of crack reading in comparison for question style and passage similarity?

8. okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Wow, for someone who only studied for two weeks, that's an awesome AA! Unless you feel confident that you can score even higher, I wouldn't retake. Good job!

9. xedddi

Pre-Dental
    I thought crack reading had similar passages but question style was a bit different. I only had 2 sentences for both sentence is true, false, etc instead of 3 they usually gave in crack reading. I also thought there were more questions that straight up had answers written in the passages instead of summarize, intentions, etc questions in crack reading.

10. 510586

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks. I hope I get a good math section. I'd be happy to get similar scores as crack math

11. Bucks783

Pre-Dental
    You are good. Trust me. I would love to have those scores. How much did you study each day for those two weeks?

12. xedddi

Pre-Dental
    I think I studied from 11 am to 2 am everyday including time for food. so it was around 13 hours per day for 2 weeks. For first week, I just watched videos and read through the books. 2nd week, I took a test a day and made notes on what I missed

and thank you for your advice

#11 xedddi, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  13. Jay20155555

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What RC strategy did you use? I'm having trouble with finishing on time, can only finish two passages and questions within the time limit, any suggestions?

14. xedddi

Pre-Dental
    I skimmed the passage and read the first two sentences of each paragraph to see what the topic of the paragraph was. Then I went straight into questions and looked for my answer for the question and repeated. I didn't read through fully any of my passages in the RC section. I finished with 6 minutes left.

#13 xedddi, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    ywcywc and 510586 like this.