Inconsistent Qbank Scores anyone?!?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KitesurfDaEarth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering if any of you guys are suffering from inconsistency like me. Its really starting to frustrate me because I have no gauge of where I am at. For example I got an 86 yesterday morning on a 50 block test and then I just took one this morning and got a 62 (2 points below the kaplan average). And this has been going on for the past week. wierd. the only thing i have figured out is that I do better on qbank with my shirt off.

Members don't see this ad.

KitesurfDaEarth said:
Hey,

I was wondering if any of you guys are suffering from inconsistency like me. Its really starting to frustrate me because I have no gauge of where I am at. For example I got an 86 yesterday morning on a 50 block test and then I just took one this morning and got a 62 (2 points below the kaplan average). And this has been going on for the past week. wierd. the only thing i have figured out is that I do better on qbank with my shirt off.

I would take the averages with a grain of salt, seeing as how this is Kaplan (a company notorious in my opinion for trying to scare students into giving them more money, does anyone remember the free diagnostic MCAT we all took and probably all bombed?).

I also would not worry too much, an average of 70+ on Qbank (from everything I've heard) indicates that you're going to do fine. If you're really curious where you are, take an NBME.

KitesurfDaEarth said:
Hey,

If you're scoring in the 80s, and a 62 is at the bottom of your range, I'd say you are doing great. Most people that I know have the same experience that you have...a few high scores in a row, and then wham! a low score...and then the cycle repeats.

As far as the previous posters comments on NBME, they might be a better predictor of score for you, but I know of some people who have done way better on the real thing than the NBME predicted (taking the practice test 3 days before the real thing), so take that for what it's worth. Just keep studying, and keep working on Qbank and you'll be fine.

ditto last couple days I have hit all time highs on Qbank then today I did two blocks of 50 and got my lowest scores to date. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
KitesurfDaEarth said:
Hey,

you were SMP'04 werent you?

Don't worry, my qbank vacillated a lot too, especially at the beginning, but as I finish it up (ive done 70% now) the spread isnt as large anymore between my upper and lower sets, but there are still up to 15% swings. Use the average of your last 300 random questions as a gauge of comprehension.

KitesurfDaEarth said:
Hey,

If that is the case I think you should attempt USMLE with your shirt off as well :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:luck:

Guys

I just wrote this week. The exam is much more straightforward as a whole than QBank. Expect WTF q's for sure, but for the most part, if you've gone through QBank and worked through the explanations i.e. 1 h per block of random q's then spend 1 h to go through all the explanations + take notes to fill in the gaps, you are on your way...

At the same time, I found that QBank can hit your ego HUGE...I think it's normal.

CanIMakeIt said:
If that is the case I think you should attempt USMLE with your shirt off as well :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:luck:

anyone want a pic of kitesurf with his shirt off? i think i've got one somewhere. maybe it will bring good luck by proxy.

i'll definitely give it a try if it'll boost my qbank to 80. :luck: :luck: :luck:

RB333 said:
Guys

I just wrote this week. The exam is much more straightforward as a whole than QBank. Expect WTF q's for sure, but for the most part, if you've gone through QBank and worked through the explanations i.e. 1 h per block of random q's then spend 1 h to go through all the explanations + take notes to fill in the gaps, you are on your way...

At the same time, I found that QBank can hit your ego HUGE...I think it's normal.

how did it hit YOUR ego?

i took some qbank q's last week after 4 beers :smuggrin: and got 100%!!!!!!! yikes. then the next morning, got 80% again. :confused:

thanks that puts my mind at ease, and I ended up taking NBME 2 a couple of days ago and got a 247!!! I was super-stoked to say the least but i cant help thinking i got lucky, though I did take it with my shirt on this time.

My kaplan qbank average is still sub 70s though and actually dropping. I also really suck at the behavioral science "choose your own adventure'' type questions. I actually have cheated on several of them with the kaplan book in hand and still get worked. I think I just suck at pure recall and the NBMEs are more based on reasoning and understanding etc. Have you guys heard the same about Step I?

I am also getting some ups and down with CrapBank.

A few days ago I got a 58% on a random block of 50 and that was actually right at the average for all students. It was the sickest test I have taken with a significant amount of questions with around 30% or less of students getting correct. :smuggrin: Way to go Kaplan!
Then the next test I popped up to the low 70s just like that !?!?
(In case anyone's interested -- I am currently getting in the upper 60s on most tests and have probably gotten 1/3 through all of the questions with just over 2 weeks until I take Step 1).

I am going to skin off and see if that helps with the next test. I'll let you know