Incorrect Pearson Answer?

Started by newtofu
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

newtofu

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need some reassurance for this question on the 2nd pearson exam.

pear.jpg


The answer key says it's supposed to be named:
1-isopropyl-3-methylcyclohexane

But shouldn't we prioritize the Meth before the Prop for abc order and name it as so?
1-methyl-3-isopropylcyclohexane

Thanks for looking!
 
I need some reassurance for this question on the 2nd pearson exam.

pear.jpg


The answer key says it's supposed to be named:
1-isopropyl-3-methylcyclohexane

But shouldn't we prioritize the Meth before the Prop for abc order and name it as so?
1-methyl-3-isopropylcyclohexane

Thanks for looking!

I think you should compare with "I"soprop- and "M"ethyl. isopropyl is a common name so you should not ignore iso-. I think you can only ignore di-, tri-, tetra-, etc.

Anyone please, correct me if I'm wrong.

+

http://www.adichemistry.com/organic...nomenclature.html#rule-first-point-difference

I found this, here it says sec-, tert- is ignored too, only iso- should be considered as i.
 
you are correct. only the actual name not the numerical value as you would say (di, tri, 2, 3 of the methyl or ethyl group) isopropyl is name of the group itself not to represent how many of the group
 
also i think the actual explanation to this problem says that isopropyl is the principal functional group and therefore the starting point.