Increasing competitiveness as an US-IMG for Heme-Onc

Started by Ammo Baba
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ammo Baba

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well.

I've been matched into an academic teaching hospital with affiliations to UCLA and I've become interested in pursuing Heme-Onc as a fellowship. I'm having some reservations though since both my Step 1 and Step 2CK are only in the mid to high 230s. The program does allow us to visit the main UCLA sites for away rotations in PGY-2 and 3 but does not itself have an in-house fellowship for Heme-Onc. Will improving my Step 3 score and getting a decent amount of research done (i,e, 15+ publications) give me a shot? Does doing an extra chief as a PGY-4 help?