You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
URM chances!
Started by Julia5
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Community?
Language skills?
State?
Evidence of commitment to service?
How many MCAT tries
Language skills?
State?
Evidence of commitment to service?
How many MCAT tries
Florida
I'm not fluent in Spanish, as my parents immigrated here before I was born, though I can speak conversationally.
2 tries- first was 24
I was very active growing up in the hispanic community, although the college I went to had only a handful of Hispanic students overall, so not much in college.
I'm not fluent in Spanish, as my parents immigrated here before I was born, though I can speak conversationally.
2 tries- first was 24
I was very active growing up in the hispanic community, although the college I went to had only a handful of Hispanic students overall, so not much in college.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which community?
Learn Spanish, stat. Give us evidence of your commitment to service.I'm Mexican
DO chances excellent.
Hey there. I have a 3.5 overall gpa, 3.2 sgpa and a 30 on the MCAT. I'm also Hispanic. Is there any chance at all for me for MD/DO ? Thanks!
Why do Hispanic applicants have to speak fluent Spanish? Just because I don't speak fluent Spanish doesn't make me any less Mexican. I'm just saying that because it's placing more an onus of burden on us, when people that identify as Asian don't have to speak their respective languages. And I have extracurricular involvement in the community, but not any clubs in college for my community.
Only if you have indicated that you are fluent.Is it true that in interviews they ask you to speak fluent spanish?
DO chances excellent.
What do you think about MD?
Depends upon the level of service to the Hispanic and/or underserved community. You need to walk the walk instead of merely talking the talk.
What do you think about MD?
Depends upon the level of service to the Hispanic and/or underserved community. You need to walk the walk instead of merely talking the talk.
I said that I have done a lot with my community. I just don't speak fluent Spanish. So is it really a toss up for MD, like 50/50?
How every school evaluates URMs and what characteristics they are looking in them will vary in a way that isnt predictable. How much a particular ADCOM will put emphasis on speaking spanish or service to the less fortunate for a URM also isnt something you will get a stable consistent answer on. YMMV
All of that is part of what makes using the AAMC GPA/MCAT grid for Hispanics somewhat difficult. Having said that, youre a reasonable candidate for the programs in your state. You can also take a look at this chart and see what schools show a track record of taking Hispanic minorities(ie UIC) and perhaps come up with a few more potential target schools(that are reasonable OOS) from there.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321540/data/factstableb5.pdf
Use MSAR to also target some OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median roughly around a 31-32. Do all that, I think youll get IIs.
All of that is part of what makes using the AAMC GPA/MCAT grid for Hispanics somewhat difficult. Having said that, youre a reasonable candidate for the programs in your state. You can also take a look at this chart and see what schools show a track record of taking Hispanic minorities(ie UIC) and perhaps come up with a few more potential target schools(that are reasonable OOS) from there.
https://www.aamc.org/download/321540/data/factstableb5.pdf
Use MSAR to also target some OOS friendly schools with an MCAT median roughly around a 31-32. Do all that, I think youll get IIs.
Last edited:
The "UiM boost" is not for your benefit. It's for the benefit of others. The two ways we validate this potential is in language skill and commitment to service. Someone with actual evidence of commitment and verified language skills is reliably a good bet, even when they are not a member of the under-represented group.Why do Hispanic applicants have to speak fluent Spanish? Just because I don't speak fluent Spanish doesn't make me any less Mexican. I'm just saying that because it's placing more an onus of burden on us, when people that identify as Asian don't have to speak their respective languages. And I have extracurricular involvement in the community, but not any clubs in college for my community.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The "UiM boost" is not for your benefit. It's for the benefit of others.
Sorry, what does that mean?
The "UiM boost" is not for your benefit. It's for the benefit of others. The two ways we validate this potential is in language skill and commitment to service. Someone with actual evidence of commitment and verified language skills is reliably a good bet, even when they are not a member of the under-represented group.
So because I can't speak fluent Spanish i'm not a URM? I guess the wording of your phrase is confusing to me.
Applicants from under-represented groups (like Mexican Americans) are highly sought after because of their potential benefit to a community sorely lacking in physicians. UiM stands for Under-represented in Medicine. It is not your minority status but your potential to help your community that interests us.Sorry, what does that mean?
You are still Mexican-American.So because I can't speak fluent Spanish i'm not a URM? I guess the wording of your phrase is confusing to me.
Applicants from under-represented groups (like Mexican Americans) are highly sought after because of their potential benefit to a community sorely lacking in physicians. UiM stands for Under-represented in Medicine. It is not your minority status but your potential to help your community that interests us.
Ahh I see. Well even though I don't speak fluent Spanish, I have been involved in the Mexican community from high school throughout college. And I aspire to be a primary care physician, so hopefully my message is conveyed through my application.
I hope so.Ahh I see. Well even though I don't speak fluent Spanish, I have been involved in the Mexican community from high school throughout college. And I aspire to be a primary care physician, so hopefully my message is conveyed through my application.
I still recommend language acquisition.
Have you considered any Spanish-language immersion programs?Ahh I see. Well even though I don't speak fluent Spanish, I have been involved in the Mexican community from high school throughout college. And I aspire to be a primary care physician, so hopefully my message is conveyed through my application.
I hope so.
I still recommend language acquisition.
Have you considered any Spanish-language immersion programs?
I have never thought about that...I can read fluently, although I mix up tenses when i'm speaking sometimes.
Looking at my scores alone, do you think I have a shot though? Ignoring non fluent language?
You can be interviewed with those gpa's.Although, when the adcom sees my app and looks at the 3.5/3.2 aren't they automatically going to screen me out regardless of race?
It's likely that your Spanish would improve substantially if you were to dedicate at least 6 months to fine tuning it. You probably don't even need a formal program. Just immerse yourself in as much Spanish as possible in your everyday life.I have never thought about that...I can read fluently, although I mix up tenses when i'm speaking sometimes.
Looking at my scores alone, do you think I have a shot though? Ignoring non fluent language?
You can be interviewed with those gpa's.
At both DO and MD?
Yes.At both DO and MD?
I'd say your chances are best at every med school in FL, and then some. Commitment to service shows you're walking the walk.
I said that I have done a lot with my community. I just don't speak fluent Spanish. So is it really a toss up for MD, like 50/50?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It will depend on the state, the school and the community.@gyngyn I have a 3.6/3.27, 31 MCAT and people were telling me it was going to be a long shot to get MD interviews. Does URM play that big of a role into the decision making?
Service to your community in this context means to your cultural/ethnic community. E.g. if you're Mexican-American, help your fellow Mexican-Americans in need and in less fortunate situations than you. If you are URM and only help affluent whites, you don't demonstrate what schools are looking for when they recruit URMs.@GrapesofRath @gyngyn @Goro
I am a URM as well and currently working on being fluent in spanish. I was planning on volunteering with the Special Olympics, but would that qualify for service to my community? I was also thinking of either a hospice, homeless shelter, or food pantry.