Independant pharmacy --rebates from wholesaler?

Started by dr of rx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dr of rx

Voicemail Suks
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What kinds of rebates are indy pharmacy owners getting from their suppliers? I know buying groups are best --but do they also have built in rebates if a certain percentage of purchases are made on contract items?

Where I work now (a small/med size company) they get a 20% rebate from the wholesaler as part of the contract (also part of a buying group).

Can an owner starting on his own with 1 store possible qualify for rebates? I know this is a big source of margin. Thanks-
 
Depends on your wholesaler and your product mix, you could probably expect anywhere from 12 to 16% on generics and 1 to 5% on brands. For stores dispensing a lot of brands I would look for a wholesaler offering the best rebate on brands, though if you don't order generics through them you may have a tough time keeping your contracts. Start by contacting reps through different wholesalers. Though if you opt to go through a buying group you will be more restricted by whom you can purchase through