Independent Contractor really that bad compared to employee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socal2014

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

How much worse is it to work as an independent contractor vs an employee?

I am aware as an IC, you have to pay for your own medical,pension/security, no vacation pay etc, but are these really all the disadvantages, and if so do they matter much? The only advantages of being in IC is supposedly you could have a higher non-taxable income, but does that outweigh the stuff you would have to pay for which is mentioned above?

Why are doctors treated as IC, instead of employees in most practices?

I would imagine working as an IC would be quite scary for me as there would be more hostility etc. Is this true?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How much worse is it to work as an independent contractor vs an employee?...
For some, not much at all.
But typically, you'll end up taking home less, have a more complicated tax return, have less job security, and fewer benefits; but the real issue is that it's illegal!
It just happens to be another example of lack of enforcement (and employers are taking advantage of it).

For some, not much at all.
But typically, you'll end up taking home less, have a more complicated tax return, have less job security, and fewer benefits; but the real issue is that it's illegal!
It just happens to be another example of lack of enforcement (and employers are taking advantage of it).

Bingo. I think it's pretty safe to say that most ICs in optometry aren't actually ICs and should be paid as employees.