Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Independent Contractor vs Employee? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by SAIHYD, May 8, 2007.

1. SAIHYD

SAIHYD New Member

Which of these is better for a fresh DDS graduate in Chicago?

150K or 30% of production (whichever is higher) with health insurance/malpractice insurance (if full time 40hours) as independent contractor

or

120K as employee with benefits like 401K with matching, insurance, vacation/sick pay

Discuss.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 12YearOldKid

Dentist
    Which job are you going to learn the most? That would be my biggest concern because these both sound like good offers. If it just comes down to money I would choose the first. You are going to owe an additional ~$11,000 in tax as an IC, but you will also be earning more. Plus, you have the opportunity to increase above the minimum guarantee.

4. Jone

Jone Senior Member

that's the going rate in Chicago? i'm impressed. i always thought of Chicago as already being oversaturated with dentists.

5. DrJeff

DrJeff Senior Member
    Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    If you're a true IC, then you're also responsible for your overhead expenses (i.e. your materials, lab fees, etc). Over the course of a year, that will add up.