Independent Contractor vs Employee? Which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAIHYD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of these is better for a fresh DDS graduate in Chicago?

150K or 30% of production (whichever is higher) with health insurance/malpractice insurance (if full time 40hours) as independent contractor

or

120K as employee with benefits like 401K with matching, insurance, vacation/sick pay

Discuss.

Members don't see this ad.

Which job are you going to learn the most? That would be my biggest concern because these both sound like good offers. If it just comes down to money I would choose the first. You are going to owe an additional ~$11,000 in tax as an IC, but you will also be earning more. Plus, you have the opportunity to increase above the minimum guarantee.

that's the going rate in Chicago? i'm impressed. i always thought of Chicago as already being oversaturated with dentists.

Which of these is better for a fresh DDS graduate in Chicago?

150K or 30% of production (whichever is higher) with health insurance/malpractice insurance (if full time 40hours) as independent contractor

or

120K as employee with benefits like 401K with matching, insurance, vacation/sick pay

Discuss.

If you're a true IC, then you're also responsible for your overhead expenses (i.e. your materials, lab fees, etc). Over the course of a year, that will add up.