Independent pharmacists...questions for you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UGAZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not very familiar with the laws and maybe someone with better knowledge can explain for me. Say if a pharmacy store with such this description posted on the board of pharmacy website " Through a disciplinary action of the Board, the license is revoked, the revocation is stayed, and the licensee is placed on probation for four years and is subject to the terms and conditions in the decision."...Does this pharmacy can still operate regularly? Cuz I know this independent pharmacy still fill Rx regularly as nothing happened.

Can a pharmacist whose license is suspended still be able to run a pharmacy with other pharmacist's license?

Members don't see this ad.

It hasn't really come up for me, but I think that if a revocation is stayed the license is placed under probation. The pharmacy can continue operating, but it has to meet the terms of the probation.

A suspended license cannot be used to practice. As someone who is not a legal expert or a lawyer, I would think that an individual with a suspended license would be able to continue acting as the pharmacy owner (kind of like a non-pharmacist owner) but would not be able to act as the manager for the pharmacy.

Additional advice: Ask the board. They are extremely helpful.

My last rotation was at an independent pharmacy, where the original owner had his license suspended for 2 years. He still worked there in an unofficial capacity, but his son officially ran the place. So yeah, it is possible.

I am not very familiar with the laws and maybe someone with better knowledge can explain for me. Say if a pharmacy store with such this description posted on the board of pharmacy website " Through a disciplinary action of the Board, the license is revoked, the revocation is stayed, and the licensee is placed on probation for four years and is subject to the terms and conditions in the decision."...Does this pharmacy can still operate regularly? Cuz I know this independent pharmacy still fill Rx regularly as nothing happened.
Can a pharmacist whose license is suspended still be able to run a pharmacy with other pharmacist's license?

Who knows.

You'd better believe the board has them under a magnifying glass, though.