Independent pharmacy ownership

Started by nrd747
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nrd747

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am new to this forum, I will be graduating with the Pharm D degree in a few months and am considering buying, or starting an independent pharmacy a few months after graduation. I am very new to this whole idea, I know I have to create a business plan and I already have some cost estimates.

Question: I have heard that it is cheaper and easier to buy an existing pharmacy, but when I shop for them online, and compare that to my estimates of starting a new one from scratch, it seems more expensive. If I see a price for an existing pharmacy, is it similar to buying a house when you just put _% down and then make monthly payments? Dose that not include the space you are renting?
 
Last edited:
Contact someone from cardinal health. They help bankroll new pharmacies with loans/inventory.
Also maybe start off at a chain to get experience and then start your own pharmacy.
 
I'm starting to seriously consider this once I get some money together to start one. Right now I'm working full-time at an independent as the supervising pharmacists. One thing I love is how the patients know me by name already and it hasn't even been 2 months yet. They come in on my days off and are like "Where's Sparda? Oh he's off, ok I'll come back tomorrow." And no, I don't fill C2s at this pharmacy. It's in an area that's a little plagued by fake scripts, rather not deal with the headache. Now, if an established customer comes in with a script, I'll order it for them and fill it, but I'm not keeping the stuff in stock.