Independent pharmacy PIC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIRPh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking into a job posting for a PIC at an independent. I know that as PIC , you basically take the fall for anything that happens. And that's why I'm nervous to apply.
I have prior independent experience as a part timer, but never had a PIC position
What are some of the pitfalls/ scary situations that I need to be careful about as PIC. Any suggestions or experiences from fellow pharmacists are appreciated.
Doing things ethically and compliance with laws is paramount to me and I need to make sure I protect myself and my license
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

PICs are in full control of the pharmacy. You are responsible for all compliance with the law. Employer doesn't want to reimburse you for buying literature required in every pharmacy? Doesn't matter, it's your responsibility. Employee stealthily takes controlled substances without your knowledge? Doesn't matter, you should have had policies and procedures to prevent that.

Reactions: 1 users
That is true, thanks! While interviewing for this position, I'm wondering what kind of information I need to get from them or what questions I need to ask?
For e.g. I need to know if they have security cameras in place, secure logins for each employee, policy toward cash customers, etc
Can I actually ask these upfront? What other questions or concerns would you have in this situation?
Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm..so if you don't know something is required and your pharmacy is not compliance even though " that's the way they've done it forever"...you won't know till the state board comes knocking? Scary...

Hm..so if you don't know something is required and your pharmacy is not compliance even though " that's the way they've done it forever"...you won't know till the state board comes knocking? Scary...

Any pharmacist should know the law. We literally have to pass a test proving we do, so kinda hard to argue that in fact we don't.

Reactions: 3 users
Yah, but do you know all the proper signage required by Medicare and their required grievance process? There's lots of bs that's not law and convoluted but required

Reactions: 2 users
I was looking into a job posting for a PIC at an independent. I know that as PIC , you basically take the fall for anything that happens. And that's why I'm nervous to apply.
I have prior independent experience as a part timer, but never had a PIC position
What are some of the pitfalls/ scary situations that I need to be careful about as PIC. Any suggestions or experiences from fellow pharmacists are appreciated.
Doing things ethically and compliance with laws is paramount to me and I need to make sure I protect myself and my license
Thanks

A good way to know the state of affairs at that pharmacy, would be to ask for the most recent self inspection report submitted to the board of pharmacy. It's basically a checklist on which the PIC confirms compliance or noncompliance with every requirement and of course, a follow-up plan of action and timeline, etc.

It's fair game to ask to see that. Independent pharmacies are notorious for stretching the boundaries of the law and doing things in too many different ways. Other questions you should ask, for example - is there a pharmacy operations manual?

I personally would not take a PIC job with an independent because of all the footwork I would have to do to make sure the place is not a liability to my license from the get go. At large companies, at least you know, that the companies are liable for ensuring their pharmacies are compliant with state and federal law. It doesn't mean they always are but at least, 70% of that worry you'd have with the independent pharmacy would be gone.

Reactions: 1 user