Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Independent Pharmacy

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by wannabePharmD11, Mar 10, 2007.

1. wannabePharmD11

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi everyone, as you can see I've been recently accepted to Pharmacy school and I can't wait to start this fall. However, I find myself very confused about the type of setting that I want to be in after graduation. I have worked for C.V.S./ pharmacy and Kaiser(=volunteered). I know what retail is all about and I think I can handle it just fine. I know a little about hospital pharmacy and this is a route I might take as well. However, I am thinking know that independent pharmacy might be for me. If I decided on Independent Pharmacy, is it best to first work for another Independent pharmacist then open my own or buy someones pharmacy? Anyone have any experiences to share?? I live in Cali by the way.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Just copy my plan and have a laundromat/pharmacy/pinball/video poker. I will have one in Oregon, you can have one in Cali. I was planning on working retail/hospital to save up then decide if it will be possible to go ahead with my super pharmacy. If you have people waiting, might as well have something to stimulate their minds, we all know that reading while waiting just doesn't seem to stimulate the customers anymore, too much work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Slippers likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    wannabePharmD11

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Not a bad idea. Have you seen this before?

What about just opening a pharmacy in a medical plaza?

I don't know I'm just trying to research Ind.Pharm. because I have come across a lot of negative articles on the net about them closing and those that exist that suffer from reimbursements, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

4. rxlawreview

rxlawreview Membership Revoked
    Removed

Any practicing independent pharmacists out there that are pharmacy owners in the DC, MD, VA area? I would love to network and connect with you about the ownership process and what it entails? I am a practicing chain retail pharmacist interested in owning my own pharmacy. I am licensed in 5 states all in good standing. Let so network. PM if you have information to provide. We can go for lunch/dinner. Thanks

5. Slippers

2+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I hear the independent pharmacies are finding it difficult to compete with chains. Target pharmacy, although still technically a chain, recently got bought out by CVS. I personally hope the independents are here for the long term, but who can say?

6. Dred Pirate

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    wow - reviving a decade old necro thread

7. Blizzard1mage

5+ Year Member

Yes, I'd recommend working in an independent pharmacy (maybe as PIC / manager) before jumping in to buy one. It's a business decision, to be sure, but it's largely also a lifestyle decision.