Independent refusing to transfer prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CountBy5s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if you have had any issues with other pharmacies refusing to transfer scripts or asking for entire profiles when the patient only requested say one particular BP medication.

Long story: There is a particular independent that will ask for all blood pressure medications or profiles when the patient only needed one say Lisinopril. Then the patient gets upset with us and wants them back at our store. We call the pharmacy let them know the situation and they refuse to transfer the prescriptions until we call multiple times. This has happened 3 times now. I now only transfer prescriptions he/she can give me numbers or specific names for. I hate this type of relationship, as we have a great relationships with other pharmacies in the area.

Has anybody been in a similar situation? How did you handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

When I worked for a chain, I was told if a pharmacy calls and asks to transfer a "whole profile", you should request to call that pharmacy back after you speak to the pt yourself to confirm the request. Also, based on my knowledge of the laws (in CA) a transfer of RX is considered a courtesy and not mandated by BOP. I could be wrong. And lastly, I blame the pt, no reason to transfer around RX just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
Call the board of pharmacy anonymously and ask. I don't think it's legal to refuse to transfer a prescription that a patient wants transferred. It's interfering with their care. With that said, I don't think it's safe for patients to get prescriptions at multiple pharmacies. If it were me, I would talk to the patient about the importance of getting everything filled at the same pharmacy.
Even if its legal by the board good luck explaining to your Sup that you basically told a patient to go F themselves

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not illegal to transfer a prescription but they can certainly delay it until the end of time unless you are in a state that mandates and certain time factor. The bottom line is that both independent and retail pharmacies across the nation look at the transfer in and out by zip code and postulate where the dollars are and not the patient satisfaction. That is why they can always be beat by someone who knows someone by their name and their health conditions.

When I worked for a chain, I was told if a pharmacy calls and asks to "whole profile", you should request to call that pharmacy back after you speak to the pt yourself to confirm the request. Also, based on my knowledge of the laws (in CA) a transfer of RX is considered a courtesy and not mandated by by BOP. I could be wrong. And lastly, I blame the pt, no reason to transfer around RX just for the heck of it.

Here in Texas you have 4 hours to do that, otherwise you're violating state board regulations.

Reactions: 1 users
I know. But you said it's not illegal to transfer. I was just wondering who said it was illegal to transfer?
I don't know if anyone has said it was illegal

There are illegal transfers in certain states. AZ doesn't allow for transfers of never dispensed prescriptions (they are considered "New") and everyone still follows federal law about CS prescription transfers. To @BenJammin 's point, TX enacted that due to mail orders screwing over local pharmacists by being intentionally dilatory to transfer or not at all. AZ has considered adopting TX's implementation except there's too many special interests against it.

Reactions: 1 user
I recall in early and mid 2000's, the chains would run 25 dollar gift cards every week for transfers. Sure don't miss those days.

Here in Texas you have 4 hours to do that, otherwise you're violating state board regulations.

I have not heard of this in Texas. I know it was proposed in 2016. Along with cvs pushing for tech to tech transfers. I've heard nothing of this actually passing into law.

I had this issue. Indy called to transfer whole profile even though they did not requested it. Ind went to different doctors in the area and offer delivery and transfer all profiles without asking patients. The patients were pissed. I told the pts to call the Board of Pharmacy and complain lol. The ind. pharmacy then threatened to sue me for defamation. Money make people do crazy ****. pissed me off.
LOL. I'm just sssuuuuuure that's how it happened.

We've had people come in to kick the tires.

"I see the sign says free delivery!
I'd like you to deliver these 7 Rxs. They're at Randall's"

[Ask for info and give her transfer authorization sheet to sign]

"No! I don't want you to transfer them, I just want you to pick them up and deliver them! I'll need eggs and milk too!"

Reactions: 2 users
LOL. I'm just sssuuuuuure that's how it happened.

We've had people come in to kick the tires.

"I see the sign says free delivery!
I'd like you to deliver these 7 Rxs. They're at Randall's"

[Ask for info and give her transfer authorization sheet to sign]

"No! I don't want you to transfer them, I just want you to pick them up and deliver them! I'll need eggs and milk too!"
Lmao! Omg, this happens? You're job is so interesting. I can't picture you explaining to these people, "that's not how it works! That's not how any of this works!" :lol:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao! Omg, this happens? You're job is so interesting. I can't picture you explaining to these people, "that's not how it works! That's not how any of this works!" :lol:

Bruh. You have no idea the nutty **** we come across.

Had an MD trying to pry a recommendation out of me for outpatient abx in an infected shoulder capsule.
"SEND HER TO THE HOSPITAL. NO. "

When i first got hired and I was still swashbuckling, swinging on ropes, and slitting throats to get business, I once did a STAT delivery of MS solution to a hospice pt. Because the nurse begged me to.
Drove 13 minutes to their house, and the RN daughter says, "oh, they still have plenty of that to last until tomorrow. It was no rush, sorry."

I recall in early and mid 2000's, the chains would run 25 dollar gift cards every week for transfers. Sure don't miss those days.
did they finally stop that madness? I haven't work retail in 7 or 8 years - (moonlighted) - but I hated that crap - there were patients that would fill at Rite Aid one month, Then CVS, then Walgrees, and just keep making the rounds - each time getting a gift card for each Rx - ugh

I have not heard of this in Texas. I know it was proposed in 2016. Along with cvs pushing for tech to tech transfers. I've heard nothing of this actually passing into law.

It was proposed and passed last year.

did they finally stop that madness? I haven't work retail in 7 or 8 years - (moonlighted) - but I hated that crap - there were patients that would fill at Rite Aid one month, Then CVS, then Walgrees, and just keep making the rounds - each time getting a gift card for each Rx - ugh

I haven't worked retail in long time too. From my friends who are still in the retail game, transfer coupons went away from the big three. I suppose they did some cost analysis and realized it's just not worth it. I still see ads from grocery stores chains in the summer for transfers. The transfer game was annoying to say the least. Certain pts would drop new off rx, you'd have them ready on the shelf, and then you'd get the call for a transfer. A lot of the pts had governemnt funded programs who wouldn't qualify but still haggle you for coupons... It was insane... From my understands there are now restrictions that the rx had to be filled at least once and for it to be considered new, you can't have history of fills for it.

I haven't worked retail in long time too. From my friends who are still in the retail game, transfer coupons went away from the big three. I suppose they did some cost analysis and realized it's just not worth it. I still see ads from grocery stores chains in the summer for transfers. The transfer game was annoying to say the least. Certain pts would drop new off rx, you'd have them ready on the shelf, and then you'd get the call for a transfer. A lot of the pts had governemnt funded programs who wouldn't qualify but still haggle you for coupons... It was insane... From my understands there are now restrictions that the rx had to be filled at least once and for it to be considered new, you can't have history of fills for it.

A lot of the pharmacies got caught messing around with transfer vouchers for Medicare patients, then they caught those Medicare hands.

Chapter : section ?

An individual may not refuse to transfer original prescription information to another individual who is acting on behalf of a patient and who is making a request for this information as specified in this subsection. The transfer of original prescription information must be completed within four business hours of the request.

I always refuse to accept transfers. I just give the patient our card and have them give the info to the doctor to send the entire profile over to us.
They should just make it simple and ban transfers of prescriptions. Wanna switch pharmacies? Have the doctor send a e-script to the new pharmacy.

I always refuse to accept transfers. I just give the patient our card and have them give the info to the doctor to send the entire profile over to us.
They should just make it simple and ban transfers of prescriptions. Wanna switch pharmacies? Have the doctor send a e-script to the new pharmacy.

giphy.gif