India Medical Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

I was wondering whether or not to transfer to India and complete my medical education there. I know its faster and wanted to explore my options. I am very motivated to become a doctor, but would prefer the quicker route.
Right now, I have a 4.0 and am involved in many extracurriculars. Most likely (at this pace), if I continued my education in America, I would probably get accepted into a med school when I apply. However, I really don't want to endure 8 more years of this whereas in India I can finish this in 3-4 years and come back.
India skips undergrad so I would just be able to go into "medical school" there directly (correct me if I'm wrong). I am almost done with my freshman year of undergrad here in the US. If I go to India this summer, would I be placed with rising 2nd year students in India colleges, or would I have to start from the beginning there?
Has anyone else considered going elsewhere to complete their classes/accelerate the process?

Members don't see this ad.

However, I really don't want to endure 8 more years of this whereas in India I can finish this in 3-4 years and come back.

When you come back, don't expect a physician job unless you're a stellar applicant with strong, strong Step scores.

India skips undergrad so I would just be able to go into "medical school" there directly (correct me if I'm wrong). I am almost done with my freshman year of undergrad here in the US. If I go to India this summer, would I be placed with rising 2nd year students in India colleges, or would I have to start from the beginning there?

I don't know their policies, but I would reasonably expect that you would have to start as a 1st year.

Has anyone else considered going elsewhere to complete their classes/accelerate the process?

Foreign medical graduates have a tough time finding physician jobs in North America. Going to India for medical school may be a good idea if you want to be a practicing physician in India, but not if you want to practice here.

If you are fine with the real possibility that you will unable to come back to the US and practice, fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering whether or not to transfer to India and complete my medical education there. I know its faster and wanted to explore my options. I am very motivated to become a doctor, but would prefer the quicker route.
Right now, I have a 4.0 and am involved in many extracurriculars. Most likely (at this pace), if I continued my education in America, I would probably get accepted into a med school when I apply. However, I really don't want to endure 8 more years of this whereas in India I can finish this in 3-4 years and come back.

You would have to start from the beginning because if you enroll in the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery course (MBBS - the equivalent of the US MD), you delve directly into medical school subjects such as anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, etc. As you are a US undergrad freshman, you have not taken such subjects at the medical school level.

The MBBS course is 5.5 years in length (4.5 years of coursework + 1 year rotating internship). Indian medical schools do not test in the USMLE vignette style, hence you will have to prepare for USMLE on your own, or through USMLE coaching centers. Assuming you are able to prepare for and score extremely well on the USMLE steps, defy the odds stacked against international grads and secure a residency spot, it will be AT LEAST 6 years from now before you start residency, not 3-4 years as you are assuming.

Just to add, it is very favorable for you to attend a US style curriculum if you do have to become an IMG. Doing your clinical years here is much more favorable from a program director's standpoint than doing it in India.

Realize that the ~50% of USIMGs match here mostly come from Carrib schools or schools from Europe that that either have a US style curriculum or are highly regarded (NUS comes to mind). Also, hazing (or ragging as its called there) is very prevalent and its been known that "outsiders" who study in India usually have a tough time adjusting and must repeat at least a year.

Only go if you want to practice in India. If practicing in the US is your ultimate goal then nothing trumps a US school.

I'd have to take the USMLE in the US too, after residency. Do you think it will be easier for me to pass it while attending a US med school, taking med classes in India, or would it be the same difficulty?

I'd have to take the USMLE in the US too, after residency. Do you think it will be easier for me to pass it while attending a US med school, taking med classes in India, or would it be the same difficulty?

Definitely easier to take while attending a US med school. But wait, why are you taking med classes in India and attending med school in the US? And you don't take the USMLE after residency (Unless you mean after residency in India). In which case, I would imagine it would be much more difficult as you won't have the basic sciences fresh on your mind anymore.

This is an extremely poorly thought out plan.

Besides the obvious issues of whether you would do well on the USMLE and obtain a US residency when it's getting harder and harder for US grads, is the question about how your impulsive act will be viewed by US residency faculty.

A student who leaves the US for medical school training to "save some time" will be seen as immature and shortsighted, not someone I'd want as a resident.

Reactions: 5 users

Everyone mentioned it soundly. You're voluntarily digging yourself in a hole for a flawed reason.

Reactions: 1 users
you know that india is a ****hole right

I'm from a similar culture so I understand both viewpoints made in this thread.

Don't get caught up on the "saving time" aspect because there are a few caveats to what you want to do. I know in that part of the world if you're not a Physician by 25-26 then you've practically "wasted time".

The points other people have brought up in this thread are valid issues you need to think about.

I know 2 people who went back to that region (1 in India and the other in Pakistan) after 1 year of college thinking they would save so much time and not have to deal with all these ECs and such.

They went back, finished medical school and internship, took some time off to take the boards (scored above average) and then didn't match. It took them 2-3 years of hard work and connections to finally match into IM residencies negating all that time they thought would be saved. Their younger siblings learned from that and decided to attend US Allopathic schools.

I only know of 1 person who ended up doing very well through this route and it was because she destroyed the boards and graduated from one of the top 3 schools in that region (Aga Khan University, King Edward Medical College and Dow University).

Like everyone else has said, saving time is about the stupidest reason to go to India for a medical education. The residency match rates for IMG's have always been bad and are now falling due to increased numbers of US grads and no corresponding increase in residencies. It's also unlikely that you will be able to adjust to the educational situation in India, it's quite different over there in terms educational philosophy and campus culture. That said, there are plenty of Indian grads who score strongly on the boards and match into residences, but these are usually meritorious students who are the cream of the crop over there.

Reactions: 1 users
You will not save time when it takes you years to get a residency in the armpit of America.

Reactions: 1 user